Tokyo Day Trips

No. i think we took an express train.
I might be looking at it wrong. The fastest I see is 2 hours 20 minutes from Tokyo. It’s over 3 hours starting at our hotel though so probably too far for us. It looks cool though!

You mentioned not being interested in zoos, otherwise, Tobu zoo could be worth a visit since they have a firefly exhibit which is something I don't think I've seen anywhere else. One of my friends likes the Kadokawa Culture Museum which could be a part of a day trip to other parts of Saitama like Kawagoe and the Railway Museum but I haven't personally visited these yet.

I don't think Fuji Q is really suitable for a young child.

Outside of that, I can't really think of good day trips unless you're willing to spend money on a bullet train or flights. In that case, you can plan a day trip to any city that's closer than Okinawa. Nagoya would probably be the easiest day trip by bullet train. There's Legoland, a great aquarium and a maglev museum. You can even fly one way to visit the "airplane theme park" in terminal 2 that has a great kid's play area and exhibits including the first Boeing 787.
Thank you for the suggestions! I’m gonna look more at Saitama and Kawagoe to see if we want to make a day trip to either one. The firefly exhibit is pretty cool. We don’t have fireflies where we live so that would be something different for us

Thank you for the suggestions! I’m gonna look more at Saitama and Kawagoe to see if we want to make a day trip to either one. The firefly exhibit is pretty cool. We don’t have fireflies where we live so that would be something different for us
I went to Kawagoe and loved it. It was one of my favorite experiences in Japan. If you want an interesting way to introduce a child to temples and shrines, it's a great place. Kitain Temple is set up like a museum, with interesting things in all of the rooms (not bare like the other temples I walked through in Japan).

Hikawa Shrine is entered by walking under pinwheels, and it has a fishing "game" and a place to float things down water.

The best spot of all was Kumano Jinga shrine, which has crow images everywhere. There are colanders and water where you wash your money, and a ring toss "game."

Also sweet potato snacks (everything you can imagine), candy alley, and the Kawagoe Festival Musuem.

The only downside is that some of the major sites are spread out. There's a bus loop that travels between them.

I went to Kawagoe and loved it. It was one of my favorite experiences in Japan. If you want an interesting way to introduce a child to temples and shrines, it's a great place. Kitain Temple is set up like a museum, with interesting things in all of the rooms (not bare like the other temples I walked through in Japan).

Hikawa Shrine is entered by walking under pinwheels, and it has a fishing "game" and a place to float things down water.

The best spot of all was Kumano Jinga shrine, which has crow images everywhere. There are colanders and water where you wash your money, and a ring toss "game."

Also sweet potato snacks (everything you can imagine), candy alley, and the Kawagoe Festival Musuem.

The only downside is that some of the major sites are spread out. There's a bus loop that travels between them.
Thanks! I’ll look into all of those

I think we will probably be adding Kawagoe as an option for a day trip. I found quite a few things there I think we would like to do. I’m also thinking about making a separate thread with things we want to do or have planned in Tokyo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter