Tokyo or Shanghai for inexperienced American traveler?

Which hotel are you staying at? The ones on the monorail line have ticket booths inside where you can buy them. I would not take the advice of waiting until you get to the park because then you have to wait in the ticket line and then go back to wait in the security line, which can just be crazy!
We are staying at the Disney Hilton Tokyo Bay so it looks like we may be able to purchase park tickets at the hotel. I had heard that it was difficult, or at least more so than purchasing tickets for Disneyland in California or WDW. Did I get something wrong?

We are staying at the Disney Hilton Tokyo Bay so it looks like we may be able to purchase park tickets at the hotel. I had heard that it was difficult, or at least more so than purchasing tickets for Disneyland in California or WDW. Did I get something wrong?
No, it's not hard from the hotel itself! They have a separate desk there by the check-in desk. At the Sheraton, the desk was open a couple hours before the park opened, but closed earlier in the evening. There was no line in afternoon/early evening, but there was a line in the morning, so if you can buy your tickets then, that would be easier! Otherwise the whole process is pretty simple (you tell them the days, and for the first 2 days, which park each day) and you can use cash or credit card.

I think the difficulty may have been people talking about buying in advance, which always gave me errors, so I just waited until I was at the hotel and then didn't have issue.

You can buy them at the hotel but note the Hilton only takes cash for tickets.

Another option if your going to be doing some sightseeing in Tokyo before heading to the parks, you can purchase them at a couple of the Disney Stores. We purchased ours in the Shibuya Disney store about a week before going to the park. It was simple and we were in the area already so it was an easy quick stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!