Tolls on 417

DisneyDeb83

Mouseketeer
Just checking to see if you can still pay cash for tolls on 417. I read somewhere that tolls in Florida are all going to be requiring Sun Pass. TIA!

Just checking to see if you can still pay cash for tolls on 417. I read somewhere that tolls in Florida are all going to be requiring Sun Pass. TIA!
Yes, as long as you don't get off from 417 onto the Turnpike. You will need change in quarters if you get off at some exits.

Thanks, I was afraid they didn’t, and hate to have to pay for it at the rental counter. Have to remember to bring change...will add it to the packing list that I am starting.

Just be sure to follow the signs off of the main roadway to the right to the cash booths at mainline tolls. You won't need exact change at the mainline tolls, just at some exits.

If you are taking 417 to WDW there are two tolls to go through, both of which have cash lanes. Just be sure to get off at exit 6.

World Center Drive & I Drive.

We are going to Windsor Westside. Are we better getting off at exit 6 and going to 192 or getting off at exit 2 and going to 192? Or should we take 528 to I4 to 192?

We are going to Windsor Westside. Are we better getting off at exit 6 and going to 192 or getting off at exit 2 and going to 192? Or should we take 528 to I4 to 192?

I believe 528->I4->192 is still cheapest in terms of toll, but more trafficked. 417->Osceola Parkway->World Drive->192 is a good balance IMO, but just like getting off at the next ("192") exit of 417 and don't have SunPass, you're dealing with an "exact coin only" booth.

Exit 6 is nice because you've just passed the full-service toll plaza and you don't have to pay again when you get off. If you jog down the fairly empty I-drive South to get to 192 (just west of Old Town) I think that works pretty well.

Alternatively, it looks like Windsor Westside is far enough south from 192 that it works out quicker to just go down to Championsgate on I4. I'd only do this if you're not at a busy time for I4 (e.g. weekday midday or late arriving flight), and you may be planning on grocery or dining stops on 192 anyway.
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/FL-4...0ab324d865a!2m2!1d-81.6439374!2d28.311986!3e0

We're taking the auto train and heading to Port Canaveral for a cruise before we head to WDW. We have EZ Pass so we're set for part of the trip. There is a section of 417 between Sanford and Orlando that doesn't accept EZ Pass. In the past, we've paid cash. I know if you drive through the toll they will bill you on some roads, but does that apply to 417? We'd just as soon not have the hassle of having change and stopping if we can get billed by plate on the section of 417 that doesn't accept EZ Pass. I really wish they would all accept it since almost all of the east coast up to Maine does. I was billed once a few years ago when we drove to Tampa for one toll that we didn't know was there and it wasn't a problem. We've done this trip several times (like 8), but this is the first time since EZPass is accepted on some roads. And, we have no plans to get a sunpass since we only go to FL every 2-3 years.

if there is a cash lane you must use it or the miss is processed as a violation. All of 417 that I have experience with HAS cash lanes ... even exits altho some require exact change

for example in MIAMI there are no cash lanes, there they send a monthly bill ... your TAMPA experience would have been the SELMON expressway which also has NO cash lanes (a short stretch of road also known as the 'crosstown')

{Congress 'mandated' that all electronic toll systems 'play together' and the deadline for that has long passed. It turned out to be a lot harder than folks realized. The transponders talking to each others system is easy .... but every state has a unique 'accounting system' and passing the $$ around is a BIG problem (or so I've read). In Florida it gets more complicated yet still, because there are so many separate toll road entities ....}

Last edited:
if there is a cash lane you must use it or the miss is processed as a violation all of 417 that I have experience with HAS cash lanes ... even exits altho some require exact change.
Toll + $25 fee. Not worth it to skip the cash lane.

Toll + $25 fee. Not worth it to skip the cash lane.
The website says it is a $2.50 fee, not $25.00. Also, if payment is mailed proactively within 10 days of missing the toll, before the invoice is generated, the fee can be avoided -- but the motorist would need to know the amount of each missed toll and the name or milepost of the toll point. But it is technically a violation, as Toll-By-Plate only applies to electronic-only toll collection points operated by the Turnpike.

CFX, OTOH, does allow Toll-By-Plate at all toll points, but they also accept E-ZPass.

For details go here, select Tolls on the left menu, then click on Toll Violations.

if there is a cash lane you must use it or the miss is processed as a violation. All of 417 that I have experience with HAS cash lanes ... even exits altho some require exact change

for example in MIAMI there are no cash lanes, there they send a monthly bill ... your TAMPA experience would have been the SELMON expressway which also has NO cash lanes (a short stretch of road also known as the 'crosstown')

{Congress 'mandated' that all electronic toll systems 'play together' and the deadline for that has long passed. It turned out to be a lot harder than folks realized. The transponders talking to each others system is easy .... but every state has a unique 'accounting system' and passing the $$ around is a BIG problem (or so I've read). In Florida it gets more complicated yet still, because there are so many separate toll road entities ....}
Funny that E pass and EZ pass managed to figure it out. As have others. SunPass just doesn't want to play.

Still doesn't really help me. How many tolls aren't EZ pass on my route? So, what exactly is a "violation"? Will I get billed or what? I know on the CFX, they will bill you, so what about 417? The webpages suck and the faqs are terrible.

Funny that E pass and EZ pass managed to figure it out. As have others. SunPass just doesn't want to play.
It's really more a matter of political will than feasibility. CFX has sort of an upstart attitude, thumbing their nose at FDOT. "We take E-ZPass and you don't -- nyah, nyah, nyah!"
Still doesn't really help me. How many tolls aren't EZ pass on my route? So, what exactly is a "violation"? Will I get billed or what? I know on the CFX, they will bill you, so what about 417? The webpages suck and the faqs are terrible.
If it takes E-ZPass, it's CFX. If it doesn't, it's Turnpike, and not paying your toll at the time you pass thru is a violation. Looking at it from the opposite approach, if the sign before the toll booth says E-Pass, it will take E-ZPass; if it says SunPass, it won't and you're supposed to pay cash.

A violation is something you're not supposed to do. Technically, you're violating the law. It looks like the only practical ramification is that you'll be billed with a Toll Violation Notice instead of a Toll-By-Plate invoice, with a higher service fee. But you're being a bad boy! ;)

How many tolls aren't EZ pass on my route?

As Joel noted, if the sign says "SunPass" it's Turnpike and won't take E-ZPass. If it says E-Pass, it's CFX and your E-ZPass will work.

The map is extremely confusing though. There's CFX and Turnpike segments of the same road (like 417).

08.01.18Map-of-CFX-Roads-Accepting-E-ZPass-with-Signs.png

Basically for E-ZPass you're okay from MCO to Exit 6 on 417. If you want to get off at Exit 3 or 2 or go to I-4, gotta pay cash.

It's really more a matter of political will than feasibility. CFX has sort of an upstart attitude, thumbing their nose at FDOT. "We take E-ZPass and you don't -- nyah, nyah, nyah!"

If it takes E-ZPass, it's CFX. If it doesn't, it's Turnpike, and not paying your toll at the time you pass thru is a violation. Looking at it from the opposite approach, if the sign before the toll booth says E-Pass, it will take E-ZPass; if it says SunPass, it won't and you're supposed to pay cash.

A violation is something you're not supposed to do. Technically, you're violating the law. It looks like the only practical ramification is that you'll be billed with a Toll Violation Notice instead of a Toll-By-Plate invoice, with a higher service fee. But you're being a bad boy! ;)

I'm a woman so being a "bad girl". I have seen where it says E Pass means EZPass is accepted. Strange how the same road has different toll vendors.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter