Tolls on 417

As Joel noted, if the sign says "SunPass" it's Turnpike and won't take E-ZPass. If it says E-Pass, it's CFX and your E-ZPass will work.

The map is extremely confusing though. There's CFX and Turnpike segments of the same road (like 417).

08.01.18Map-of-CFX-Roads-Accepting-E-ZPass-with-Signs.png

Basically for E-ZPass you're okay from MCO to Exit 6 on 417. If you want to get off at Exit 3 or 2 or go to I-4, gotta pay cash.

Except we're coming from the Auto Train station in Sanford, not MCO. I just love lugging change with me. I use EZPass here at home when I'm on the Dulles Toll Road or the Greenway or we're traveling to the beach (MD Bay bridge takes it too). So, basically we'll be getting on 417 in Sanford and getting off 417 onto 528. It appears there's only a couple of tolls between Sanford and 528, but it's not 100% clear on the map. We've done the drive before and paid cash but it just seemed we had to pay quite a few times.

So, basically we'll be getting on 417 in Sanford and getting off 417 onto 528. It appears there's only a couple of tolls between Sanford and 528, but it's not 100% clear on the map. We've done the drive before and paid cash but it just seemed we had to pay quite a few times.
Only one mainline toll plaza on that route does not accept E-ZPass. The first one in the Sanford area (Lake Jesup) on SR-417 is operated by the State (cash toll is currently $2.50).

The remaining two toll plazas to the South on SR-417 and the two on SR-528 towards the Port are operated by CFX and accept E-ZPass.

I am SO sorry I tried to answer a question here ......

and SO sorry that in FL this entire 'toll road' thing is SO screwed up

:crutches:
I'm hardly the first to be confused by FL toll roads and yes, they are a bit screwed up as are the webpages. I just wanted to know if they would bill me for the toll and I know what "violation" means, but really wanted to know if they did toll by plate. Even here in VA where the toll roads by us are owned/run by separate groups, they accept the same payment methods. One road is privately owned and one is state owned. Don't get me started on what toll roads original purposes were vs what they are now. Toll roads are supposed to only pay for the road and once that's done, they should be cancelled. We had one in VA Beach that did that but that's the last time I've seen it.

last time I visited Norfolk I picked up a car at the Norfolk airport and drove to Portsmouth

no one warned me about the toll tunnel and I got a ticket because there is no cash option

Florida is bad because??????

Would my SUNPASS work? NO

ever heard the one about a glass house?

Toll roads are supposed to only pay for the road and once that's done, they should be cancelled.

And road maintenance gets paid for how? I'm not big on toll roads in general, but the initial build is only part of the total (ongoing) cost of a roadway. It's even worse in states where it snows, needs plowing, and resealing/resurfacing needs happen more quickly.

While I'd rather they just be maintained by tax dollars, that's not the case here.

A way to slice the pie:

toll roads around Orlando tax the visitors using the roads as well as the locals versus putting ALL the burden on the locals via a tax. You might note that Florida has NO state income tax. There is an emphasis on 'tax methods' that hit the many many tourist visitors and not just the residents. We residents don't get a free ride cuz we drive the roads too ... but the visitors don't get a free ride either.

if getting a rental from MCO

you can get a FREE loaner transponder (and no worries about where EZ PASS will and won't work)

https://visitortollpass.com/
not only is it free, but you get the electronic toll discount . . .
As Joel noted, if the sign says "SunPass" it's Turnpike and won't take E-ZPass. If it says E-Pass, it's CFX and your E-ZPass will work.

The map is extremely confusing though. There's CFX and Turnpike segments of the same road (like 417).

08.01.18Map-of-CFX-Roads-Accepting-E-ZPass-with-Signs.png

Basically for E-ZPass you're okay from MCO to Exit 6 on 417. If you want to get off at Exit 3 or 2 or go to I-4, gotta pay cash.

...OK...so I'm ok from MCO to WDW paying cash on 417. BUT... we want to hit the beach for a day & will use the BeachLine. So, I'm only OK for PART of that...then the line turns green the rest of the way. How do I pay for that portion of the trip? Is there cash options? I really DO NOT WANT to pay $6.00 per toll-road day to my rental car company. :scared:

Thank you!
:flower1:

...OK...so I'm ok from MCO to WDW paying cash on 417. BUT... we want to hit the beach for a day & will use the BeachLine. So, I'm only OK for PART of that...then the line turns green the rest of the way. How do I pay for that portion of the trip? Is there cash options? I really DO NOT WANT to pay $6.00 per toll-road day to my rental car company. :scared:

Thank you!
Yes, at this time all mainline tolls in the Orlando area accept cash, except for the partially completed Wekiva Pkwy which will connect 429 to I-4 northwest of Orlando.

If you'll be traveling 528 between I-4 and the airport, also make sure you don't stray into the new extra-toll express lanes. Even though they're currently free for the introductory period, they still require a transponder.

Thank you!

I had to refresh my memory, but there's a toll plaza (transponder, exact coin, and manned booths) on 528 just before the purple part (CFX) turns to green (Turnpike) on the way to Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach. The toll plaza there going to & coming from the coast is CFX/E-Pass, so E-Pass, E-Z Pass, and SunPass are all accepted, as well as cash.

Even though the section after that is Turnpike (state)-owned, there's no toll on it. Wikipedia had an explanation for why it's still shown on maps as a "toll road":
Nonetheless, most road maps show the Brevard County section from the Orange County line to I-95 to be a toll road because it is impossible to travel over it without incurring a toll elsewhere. The Toll SR 528 shield is also used on this stretch of road as well as on exit signs along I-95.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Road_528

Thanks so much! This helps me tremendously!

Even though the section after that is Turnpike (state)-owned, there's no toll on it. Wikipedia had an explanation for why it's still shown on maps as a "toll road":
Actually, Wikipedia is wrong about that. Wikipedia is a good resource, but a fair amount of stuff you see on Wikipedia is assumptions made by some editor which nobody bothered to challenge.

It is in fact a toll road, operated, as you said, by the Turnpike Enterprise. There's no toll booth on it because the toll is lumped in at the CFX toll booth and CFX forwards it the state. Before that arrangement was made, there were actually 2 separate toll booths.

Actually, Wikipedia is wrong about that. Wikipedia is a good resource, but a fair amount of stuff you see on Wikipedia is assumptions made by some editor which nobody bothered to challenge.

It is in fact a toll road, operated, as you said, by the Turnpike Enterprise. There's no toll booth on it because the toll is lumped in at the CFX toll booth and CFX forwards it the state. Before that arrangement was made, there were actually 2 separate toll booths.

I left it out of the quote excerpt but the Wiki page does mention ~$0.25 of a ~$1.25 toll going to Turnpike. :)

Thank you!
Entering 417 at World Center Drive and heading to 528 (Beachline Expressway), you can use cash at all four toll points, two $1.75 tolls on 417 (John Young Mainline and Boggy Creek Mainline Plazas), a $1.25 toll on 528 (Beachline Main Plaza) and a $1.50 toll on 528 (Dallas Main Plaza). Total of $6.25.

If you are renting from and returning to MCO, you could see if the CFX loaner transponder program is still available. Alternately, if you anticipate making enough trips to the Orlando area or FL in general, you might purchase your own portable Sunpass (about $20, I believe) or E-pass (about $10, https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/get-e-pass/. I purchased an E-pass to use when we travel around FL with a rental car and covered the cost just in avoiding the daily fees for rental cars plus the discounted tolls. Both Sunpass and E-pass work throughout FL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!