Tony Award Thread 2018

Latina actress wins an award for a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, which are historically not full of actors of color. Love it.

That song from Mean Girls was possibly the worst thing I have ever heard. I love Tina fey but that was awful.

I listen to some of the soundtrack yesterday and there are much better songs. Not sure why they choose that one to showcase.

The casting for Frozen is definitely skewed older. I'm sure it was a definite casting and artistic decision, but I wonder why....

I adore Tony Shalhoub but I really want to see Once On This Island.

Kind of sad that there are pages upon pages of posts when there is an Oscar thread, but this couldn’t even fill a page.

Anyway, surprised, and yet not about The Band’s Visits sweep.

Can’t wait to see Mean Girls in August!

Latina actress wins an award for a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, which are historically not full of actors of color. Love it.
your statement is not even remotely correct. Considering South Pacific was produced in 1949. South Pacific won the Tony for best musical and the Pulitzer prize. Considering it’s a piece of theatre about race relations between ‘White’ and ‘Non White’ people . I just found that statement very funny. Considering it was in late 1940’s. That’s an achievement .

I actually saw South Pacific at the Lincoln Centre and it was an achievement of direction, set, costumes , lighting , acting and more.

Last edited:
Kind of sad that there are pages upon pages of posts when there is an Oscar thread, but this couldn’t even fill a page.

I literally just started it!

I think this is probably because a heck of a lot more people are able to go to the movies than go to see a Broadway show.

No posts from me, because ironically, we were at the theater last night, for the 3rd straight year, on the night of the Tony's. I really need to pay more attention to that when I buy tickets LOL.

Hi! :wave2: I traditionally OP the Oscar & the other TV & movie award show threads. I actually have compiled a list of posters who regularly attend and I PM them friendly PM/email reminders the morning of the shows that they will be on that evening. I have a list of over 50 DISers now. I also include the time & channel the show is on in different time zones (since people got mixed up when I only included ET.)

It started out because people would randomly come on the DIS award show nite and didn't know a thread was started or that the show was even on. They WOULD HAVE joined in from the start had they known other DISers are watching. popcorn:: :hyper2::sad2: :thumbsup2:crazy2: :tongue: Fellow DISers said they would love to attend when REMINDED that the show is going to be on. :hyper: It's fun to watch the awards together, see the dresses and in the case of the Tonys, watch live musical segments with fantastic talent and talk about it amongst ourselves, even those that don't usually go to Broadway shows. :hyper2: (I was out last nite or I would have tuned in.)

AdamEfimoff, you might want to start a similar tradition for the Tonys, as you usually are the one to start the threads. :thumbsup2 Just ask people here or on the Broadway thread if they would like a PM reminder before the show and start compiling a list. Don't just send one as people might consider it Spam. :badpc: And prune the list every few years as people stop attending or lose interest and new DISers come on board who are interested in watching.

The board has been very quiet lately, maybe that has something to do with the lack of chatter about the Tony Awards as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter