Tony Award Thread 2018

I watched the awards, I know very little about the shows but enjoy seeing the selections from the musicals.

Deniro just proved once again that he is nothing more than a vulgar, foul-mouthed, petulant blowhard. He is an embarrassment to civilized society and should be a role model to no one.

Gee, that reminds me of someone else :rolleyes1 especially the petulant part.

I didn't catch the entire show, but I thought the performance of "Seasons of Love' by the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Students was lovely and powerful. They were so poised. It's one of my favorite songs, so I've now had the Rent soundtrack on a continuous loop today...

I didn't catch the entire show, but I thought the performance of "Seasons of Love' by the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Students was lovely and powerful. They were so poised. It's one of my favorite songs, so I've now had the Rent soundtrack on a continuous loop today...

They were really amazing, weren't they?! Think about the nerves and the dream-come-true aspect of it for those kids, combined with the tragic reason they were there. SO many emotions, and yet they were all so poised.
Add it to the list of seriously impressive MSD students - that principal and staff must be doing something right!

The only show I saw this season was "Three Tall Women" and I was pleased about the acting wins for that, but I have a feeling it's just because I didn't get a chance to see "Angels in America", which I hear is great.

I didn't see any of the musicals, although I'd wanted to see "Once on this Island" (still do)! Hadn't really considered "The Band's Visit" until I saw that performance on the show - wow, looks good - but of course, it just won, so tickets won't be easy to get. Or they will, but I just came back from Disney and my wallet is screaming for a rest. Sigh.

I should probably go find the performances online. I never bother to watch award shows anymore. I just try to find out who won.

I love musicals but nothing about Once on This Island, The Band's Visit or Sponge Bob appealed to me in the least. Maybe it was just the numbers they chose to perform...

It was pretty much the level of hatred and eloquence I expect from most celebrities, when they’re not reading words that are written for them.
Celebrities are just people. But I don't think you are giving their power enough credit in today's world. Take Kim Kardashian (who I agreed with) and Dennis Rodman for examples.

The choir brought tears to my eyes. So glad they hot a standing ovation. They are our future, they aren't going away, and they give this old fart hope for our future.

Last edited:

They were really amazing, weren't they?! Think about the nerves and the dream-come-true aspect of it for those kids, combined with the tragic reason they were there. SO many emotions, and yet they were all so poised.
Add it to the list of seriously impressive MSD students - that principal and staff must be doing something right!

I agree! I can't imagine performing on such a big stage while dealing with so many emotions!

Just as an aside...

When my niece was in middle school and high school, she was in a wonderful theater company - they even did some original plays written by the director, and I used to drive down and see all of them. Anyway, she's almost 30 now, but a couple of the "kids" in her company moved on to Broadway - one as a producer and one as an actor. The producer won a Tony on Sunday - his second! - for "The Band's Visit!" The actor is currently in the revival of "The Boys in the Band" although he was not among the Tony presenters Sunday night from the production - it was the more famous actors, of course - although he has been nominated for two Tonys too! But anyway, it's been cool to follow their careers, having seen them in their high school plays, lol!

I’m not a Broadway expert by any means but my first experience was taking my then 13 or 14 year old niece to see her first Broadway show. We saw Wicked featuring Lindsay Mendez as Elphaba.

We both fell in love with Wicked and with Lindsay and were texting each other after she won this year. I was sooo happy for her.

This thread is singing and dancing a little too close to the curtain.

The thinly veiled political comments will have to stop or the 2018 Tony Awards will be over.

Why try to turn this into a political thread? You are discussing what happened for a few minutes during a three hour show. To paraphrase an annoying song, maybe let it go?

I haven't seen any mention of Bruce Springsteen 's performance. I can't decide if I liked it or not.

I have a friend who has two wonderful shows "Broadway ready" - we've attended various workshops and presentations and both shows are wonderful! Yet, what's on the Great White Way right now?? …"SpongeBob Square Pants"?!?! ::sigh::

I haven't seen any mention of Bruce Springsteen 's performance. I can't decide if I liked it or not.

Haven't watched it yet but I did see Springsteen On Broadway last October, it was remarkable. I saw that Bruce got some credit for giving the Tony's a little bump in the ratings this year (though it's still not a highly rated show.)

I have a friend who has two wonderful shows "Broadway ready" - we've attended various workshops and presentations and both shows are wonderful! Yet, what's on the Great White Way right now?? …"SpongeBob Square Pants"?!?! ::sigh::

I completely understand your feelings about SpongeBob and shared them when I heard the show was coming to Broadway. I think it was just before the debut there was a feature on the show probably on CBS Sunday morning. I was a little surprised to find that there was a deeper level involved in the show than I expected, along with a very creative twist to how they were going to bring the characters to the stage by creatively dressing the performers and the staging around them instead of the foam costumes and staging I expected. Watching the performance on the Tony's reminded me about the feature I saw and made me consider again that there's more to the show than my very, very low expectations. I don't know that I quite see myself willing to buy a ticket, but I've decided to leave some room for something that may not be quite my cup of tea but just might have something genuine to offer others.

Hopefully your friend manages to beat the odds and bring their shows to Broadway -- there's always room for more great stuff to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts