Tony Award Thread 2018

I have a friend who has two wonderful shows "Broadway ready" - we've attended various workshops and presentations and both shows are wonderful! Yet, what's on the Great White Way right now?? …"SpongeBob Square Pants"?!?! ::sigh::

That is the biggest embarrassment here.
Ok, maybe not, but it is a close second that is for sure.

Spongebob was actually fantastic on Broadway- I've seen it twice.

Springstein's performance was for big fans, I think. Others didn't really seem to get it. I thought it was really weird that he got his award presented live while Chita Rivera and ALW had theirs s on the pre broadcast. I get it was to draw in viewers but they SO DESERVED IT over him.

Mean Girls sounded awful live; and I just watched it back, it sounded awful on TV too. I doubt it sold many tickets but the show is already weirdly popular.

DeNiro's comment was well received by the audience. He received thunderous applause and a standing ovation. Whether or not it was appropriate for the occasion is certainly something that can be debated; but overall, this particular crowd appeared to agree.

The thing that struck me as so hauntingly sad was the Stoneman High kids singing. As a high schooler, I literally COULD NOT have fathomed a circumstance that would get me on the Tony awards, right?? So it's just so unbelievable tragic that they got to experience this incredible thing- but only because they've had to experience such incredible pain.

It also struck me, today; a day after the anniversary of Pulse, that the 2016 Tonys were pretty much an ongoing tribute to the victims of that terrorism. Same thing for this Tonys, and alongside all of the fun and joy of attending, I couldn't stop thinking- who will we be mourning next year?

That being said, I absolutley LOVED almost all of the speeches this year. Love or hate Band's Visit ( I loved it), it's hard to deny that those moments of celebration of their culture and diversity finally being represented on Broadway was lovely.

I had a great time attending. I hope I can go again next year!!

Springstein's performance was for big fans, I think. Others didn't really seem to get it. I thought it was really weird that he got his award presented live while Chita Rivera and ALW had theirs s on the pre broadcast. I get it was to draw in viewers but they SO DESERVED IT over him.

Mean Girls sounded awful live; and I just watched it back, it sounded awful on TV too. I doubt it sold many tickets but the show is already weirdly popular.

DeNiro's comment was well received by the audience. He received thunderous applause and a standing ovation. Whether or not it was appropriate for the occasion is certainly something that can be debated; but overall, this particular crowd appeared to agree.

The thing that struck me as so hauntingly sad was the Stoneman High kids singing. As a high schooler, I literally COULD NOT have fathomed a circumstance that would get me on the Tony awards, right?? So it's just so unbelievable tragic that they got to experience this incredible thing- but only because they've had to experience such incredible pain.

It also struck me, today; a day after the anniversary of Pulse, that the 2016 Tonys were pretty much an ongoing tribute to the victims of that terrorism. Same thing for this Tonys, and alongside all of the fun and joy of attending, I couldn't stop thinking- who will we be mourning next year?

That being said, I absolutley LOVED almost all of the speeches this year. Love or hate Band's Visit ( I loved it), it's hard to deny that those moments of celebration of their culture and diversity finally being represented on Broadway was lovely.

I certainly hope next year's ceremonies are simply tribute and celebration for artistry, not tragedy. I couldn't hold back the tears before those kids sang a single note.

I agree, of all awards that deserve to be broadcast it seems like lifetime achievement should be top of the list.

I have a friend who has two wonderful shows "Broadway ready" - we've attended various workshops and presentations and both shows are wonderful! Yet, what's on the Great White Way right now?? …"SpongeBob Square Pants"?!?! ::sigh::
That is the biggest embarrassment here.
Ok, maybe not, but it is a close second that is for sure.
If he has any advice what to do after you have written a play, I would love to hear any advice.

Last edited:

DeNiro and then he introduces Springsteen. Couldn't get any better than that. Tho more a story than a song of My Hometown from his Broadway play, it was moving hearing him speak of his hometown memories, really liked it.

Last edited:

If you're willing to share without outing yourself, what do you do that allowed you to attend? It must have been so awesome to see the performances live!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!