Tony's town square or Skipper Canteen

dsnygirl2006

DIS Veteran
I know these are two restaurants serve totally different types of food but I have one ADR left to make and we wanted to try somewhere we haven't been in the MK before....Is tony's really that bad?

Well, I haven't been back to Tony's in 7 years, but if I were in your shoes, I'd go for the Skipper's Canteen. The menu just looks much more interesting. I can go get meh Italian food at any chain.

All of our party loved Skipper's. It was my 12 yo nieces one request for a repeat on our next trip. Apparently the kid's steak is the best she has had anywhere on property! (Fwiw, in addition to Skippers, we will be taking her to the Yachtsman on our next trip so she can truly appreciate a real steak!)

Seriously, we have pretty low standards, but Tony's really was that bad. Tony's was like school cafeteria Italian food. We choose Pinocchio's Village Haus over them any day.

I've eaten once at Tony's and was not eager to return. I've dined several times at Skipper Canteen and plan to go there a couple more times on my next trip. There is no comparison.

I know these are two restaurants serve totally different types of food but I have one ADR left to make and we wanted to try somewhere we haven't been in the MK before....Is tony's really that bad?
Tony's is the same red-sauced Italian food you can likely get at your neighborhood pizzeria....but with lousy pizza.

Skipper is a mix of Asian-flavors, mostly Chinese, that may be a cut-above what you can get at your local greasy-chopstick take-out.

Skipper Canteen.

I actually really like Tony's. It was the first ADR I made for my upcoming trip. Everyone's taste is different so take other's opinions with a grain of salt. :)

I don't like heavy meals in Disney because we are always so hot. SC has nice, light choices. My vote goes to SC.

We tried Tony's on our trip in June and didn't like it. We won't be back.

We gave Tony's another try a couple of years ago and it was BAD. I make better tasting pasta just by heating up some Ragu and adding fresh herbs. Seriously their spaghetti had NO taste other than salt, in fact it was so salty I couldn't eat it. It's worse than Olive Garden and their food is microwaved (at least it tastes like it is). Haven't tried SC but I'd do that over Tony's.

Last edited:
If forced to choose between the two, I would go to Tony's. Although I have certainly had better food, I have also had much worse, including Skipper Canteen. I had really been excited about SC, but my meal wasn't good and the service was lackluster. I'm really not a fan of any food at MK and try to eat outside the park. I suggest you just choose the restaurant based on the menu and choose the one that appeals to you more.

I think you have to decide for yourself. I had read sketchy reviews about
Jungle Navigation, but we went in July anyway. We really liked it. Same with Nine Dragons at Epcot and Hollywood & Vine at HS. We liked them both, others don't. We were on the dining plan if it makes a difference so I guess we could have gotten a snack if meals were a bust.

We've never done Tony's as I'm Italian and really picky, but Skippers is one of our favorite MK restaurants. We generally just share a bunch of apps and dessert and have never been disappointed.

I actually really like Tony's. It was the first ADR I made for my upcoming trip. Everyone's taste is different so take other's opinions with a grain of salt. :)

A lot of people complain about Tony's but we always have had dinner there with great food and service.

SC has become one of our favorites in MK. Since there are plenty of choices for lighter or heavier meals it works well for all of us. I also love the fact it's not your run of the mill choices. The only possible disappointment would be the hit or miss wait staff. We have had some who really go with the Jungle Cruise theme and are amazing, and others who were mediocre at best.

The first time I tried SC, I did not enjoy the meal. However, we gave it another shot, actually visiting twice more. Each subsequent time, it has been fantastic.

I have also been to Tony's multiple times. I've had good visits and bad, but the last one was probably one of my worst dining experience on property. The service was very poor. At least two tables, one of which was much larger than ours, were seated well after us but received their meals, paid, and left before we even received our food. We had no special orders; it appeared we were forgotten. It does happen, and I try to be understanding. However, our server pretty much vanished for a very long time. Once we finally received our food, it was not of a high quality or properly temped. Our drinks sat empty, which also impacted our visit. The server did not deign to visit us again until she brought the check, which we did have to wait some time to receive. At this point, the server began rushing us out of the restaurant. She insisted she wanted us to catch the fireworks. However, none of her other service spoke to that. This was our last meal of the trip, so it was a bit sad. We did wait to be seated quite a while, which was completely our fault. We checked in very early, so I can't fault Disney there. However, when I used the restroom, it was out of toilet paper. I told the hosts on my way out so they could rectify the situation, but they told me they already knew. It bothered me to know they were aware of an issue but had not fixed it. It's a small thing, but it would have been an easy fix. (On a side note, did you know you can use a clean toilet seat cover in lieu of toilet paper when you are truly desperate?)

I strongly believe that no Disney restaurant is always good or always bad. However, the percentage of good visits I have had to SC is much higher than good visits to Tony's, which is a shame. Tony's is a very pretty restaurant.

We love Tony's! We have ate there several times and the food and service has always been great. We tried the skipper canteen on our last trip which was this past June and really enjoyed it too. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I think it would just depend on which menu looks more appealing to you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter