Too many race shirts!

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
I'm sure a lot of you here can relate to having SO MANY race shirts, you don't know what to do? Since 2014, I've run at least 20+ races each year--some "big challenges" like the Dopey at Disney, but also lots of small local 5ks and stuff.
I literally just have storage bins of shirts, many that I've never even worn, in my basement, and I don't know what to do with them.

I feel guilt.

If I donate them to goodwill or something, will they actually get bought at their thrift store? Is there any market for selling them on Ebay (I did a quick search and mostly it showed "buy it nows" for around $10/each for Disney shirts, but I don't know if they are actually selling well?)

I've seen quilts and stuff that people make from the race shirts, but that's just really not my thing.

And so many of the shirts I have, are completely useless to me--they either don't fit well (so called "unisex" shirts!) or in some cases might even be from a race that I'd rather forget...

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here; maybe validation that it's not just me with this problem? "Permission" to get rid of these shirts?

I definitely understand the issue. I would have a hard time getting rid of mine. I wear some for running and others as showing off the accomplishment. They are your shirts though so you can do whatever you want with them. Maybe check with some runDisney Facebook groups and see if anyone wants the shirts you have. Sometimes people lose shirts or they get damaged and people will try to seek out those shirts from others.

I realized the other day how many running shirts I have accumulated for something I once undertook as a do it once and I'm done event. And I've only run one non runDisney event.

Have you looked into donating them to a women's shelter? There are also some organizations that take donated clothing and give them to fire victims when their homes are destroyed.

I still have all of mine and I have a lot. Plenty are just put away in the attic while the most recent 5 years or so are in my closet. If you want to do something with them I would go for donation since hopefully they fill a need. Throwing them away seems wasteful but I've never looked into recycling clothing. That might be an option.

I had a throw made by Project Repat and LOVE it. It’s not as elaborate as some quilts (it’s just squares of shirts, fleece blanket on the back) but perfect for me (it’s on a daybed in my craft room). Liked it so much that I had them do one for DS2 and getting another for DS1 once we go through his shirts. Let me tell you, it was so tough sending those shirts off but I get so much more out of that throw than having the shirts sit around unworn.

I give mine to a local charity that gives stuff like that away to needy families. I have also donated many of my medals to them. They say that the kids love the medals.

some I keep and wear, some go to running friend who wears to bed or to work so once they get ruined she dumps them. some go to goodwill, some I give to resident's at nursing home who never seem to have enough clothes

I had a throw made by Project Repat and LOVE it. It’s not as elaborate as some quilts (it’s just squares of shirts, fleece blanket on the back) but perfect for me (it’s on a daybed in my craft room). Liked it so much that I had them do one for DS2 and getting another for DS1 once we go through his shirts. Let me tell you, it was so tough sending those shirts off but I get so much more out of that throw than having the shirts sit around unworn.

Did this work with tech shirts? that's been my biggest concern, and what most races provide !

If you hate to part with them- take a photo of each shirt (main logo) and put all the photos in one frame.
You can find some fun multi image mats in frames at a local craft store. Or blow one photo (or more) up really big on a canvas for your wall.
That would be a cool way to treasure them all - while letting them go to someone who will wear them.
I love the artwork on the Disney shirts/bibs. The rest- I take photo- and let them go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!