(too much of) The Business Side of Disney

On a recent Tuesday episode after a 20+ minute discussion on the Disney/Fox deal Pete said "at the end of the day unless we are shareholders do we give a crap?"

I am a shareholder and the answer is still "no."

I don't tune into the Tuesday show to hear about earnings, buyouts, fiscal years, contract negotiations, divisions of the company etc. While I respectfully think Pete and Charles are somewhat knowledgable in these areas, I'd much rather hear their takes on other topics.

I want to hear about Disney entertainment, parks, and travel (the fun stuff). I can get business news elsewhere.

Does anyone else think they are dedicating too much time discussing business rather than entertainment?
I think its fine. But

I enjoy the business side and the team's discussion on it.

Ogre.jpg

I don't mind them speaking about it, but many times I think that the conclusions they are coming to are incorrect. As a person that represents a large institutional investor for her work I wish they would stick to the things they are experts at leave some of the other discussions out. A person can't be an expert in everything.

I quite enjoy the discussions about some of the behind the scenes aspects of WDW. As much as we'd all like to believe it, none of the magic inside the parks is paid for with pixie dust and wishing on stars so it's good to know if the company has all the nickels and dimes it needs to keep the magic going and develop future attractions.

Plus, as a bonus, these discussions can usually be relied upon to send Pete off on a rant which I always find amusing :)

It's a weekly show, they have to talk about something. I think I read somewhere that they've done a bunch of these shows already.

That’s pretty awesome Heidi! I’ve seen the certificate you get and it looks very cool. I want to buy into the company... I give them enough of my money!
Yes, @Tonyz - Do you know that when I got my very first share back in '93 I bought it JUST for the gorgeous certificate? Seriously - I wanted to put it on my wall, and did just that - had it there for many years. And most of the other shares I have (only 10, I'm not a mogul or anything!) :rotfl2: are as the results of splits through great performing years! :)

I also had a tradition for many years, to give 1 share as a baby gift, with a card that said "May this grow strong and healthy, along with your bundle of joy". I've had quite a few people I know I gave those to come back to thank me over the years, and even a few of the children so gifted thank me, or in a few cases, they are now having kids of their own, and looking to buy DIS! :) Several of them have also mentioned they framed and displayed the gorgeous certificates in the nursery as well. Too bad they don't issue them anymore!

I'm not super interested in the business conversations, so I fast forward once I've heard the gist of the story. Easy peasy!

That’s pretty awesome Heidi! I’ve seen the certificate you get and it looks very cool. I want to buy into the company... I give them enough of my money!
I believe they no longer issue paper certificates - feel like that was a news item a few years ago.

I believe they no longer issue paper certificates - feel like that was a news item a few years ago.
You are correct, @MeeskaMooska13 - that's why my last sentence in my post above said "too bad they don't issue them anymore". Matter of fact, I believe they were one of the last, if not THE last, holdouts on doing so. All the more reason for me to to treasure mine!

I don't care about ABD or cruises or any of that. I just fast forward through topics that don't interest me.

I'm with the OP. Am interested up to a point, but find the commentary drags too long. Have always thought a separate and occasional (perhaps quarterly?) "Dis Biz" podcast would be a better forum for these topics.

Have always thought a separate and occasional (perhaps quarterly?) "Dis Biz" podcast would be a better forum for these topics.
Business news tends to be fairly time-sensitive so I don't think a quarterly show would work, except for discussing quarterly company reports. But the day to day announcements really need to be discussed weekly if the conversation is going to be relevant.

On a recent Tuesday episode after a 20+ minute discussion on the Disney/Fox deal Pete said "at the end of the day unless we are shareholders do we give a crap?"

I am a shareholder and the answer is still "no."

I don't tune into the Tuesday show to hear about earnings, buyouts, fiscal years, contract negotiations, divisions of the company etc. While I respectfully think Pete and Charles are somewhat knowledgable in these areas, I'd much rather hear their takes on other topics.

I want to hear about Disney entertainment, parks, and travel (the fun stuff). I can get business news elsewhere.

Does anyone else think they are dedicating too much time discussing business rather than entertainment?

I enjoy hearing the business side of Disney, however I do agree with you that the topic did run a little too long. Most of the time I disagree with the team's analysis in such matters, because I look at and try to understand corporate decisions from the company's point of view.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!