Totally lost on Aulani!

KateDrake

DIS Veteran
Aloha!
Hoping you guys can help me a bit. I'm feeling way out of place because I'm a WDW and DLR pro, and since I have family in Hawai'i, we're used to doing that too, but combining Disney and Hawai'i is totally new!

I'm thinking of adding a few days at Aulani on our next trip to Oahu (not sure when this will be, likely in 2014). We travel to Oahu fairly often to visit my husband's family who live over in Kailua on the winward side. So here's what I'm wondering:

1. How many days/nights should I plan to spend there? I was thinking 3 nights, is that enough?

2. Is there any reason to keep my rental car while at Aulani? I'll have one earlier to go around the island to visit family, etc. but the parking price is making me think ditching it might be a good idea.

3. How can I get the best price? We aren't DVC owners, so I'm thinking renting points might be cheaper than paying the rack rates for rooms? How about the kama'aina discount, if I can get a relative to book it for us, is that a good option?

4. It would be me, DH, DD4 and our baby who is due in October, plus my MIL and SIL. Is it better to book two studios? A one-bedroom? Two bedroom? What would be the best deal, but also allow us enough space?

5. What have been your favorite activities, etc.? Any restaurants that are a must, activities we HAVE to do?

TIA for all your help! Can't wait to read more of your experiences at this resort, it sounds amazing!

1. How many days/nights should I plan to spend there? I was thinking 3 nights, is that enough?
Since you already are familiar with Oahu, 3 nights would be a nice stay. I've only done weekends since I was living on Maui at the time and just wanted to experience the resort while heading to Oahu for other reasons. Obviously longer is better since its great and you won't want to leave, but for your purposes I would think 3 would be sufficient.

2. Is there any reason to keep my rental car while at Aulani? I'll have one earlier to go around the island to visit family, etc. but the parking price is making me think ditching it might be a good idea.
If you rent points, parking would be included. If you're not planning on leaving the resort it would be fine to not have a car, but how would you get to/from your relatives on the Windward side to Ko'olina? That's a really long drive. I guess your relatives could drop you off/pick you up/have a meal with you?

3. How can I get the best price? We aren't DVC owners, so I'm thinking renting points might be cheaper than paying the rack rates for rooms? How about the kama'aina discount, if I can get a relative to book it for us, is that a good option?
Renting points would be your most reliable option for getting your reservation without paying a sky-high price. A hotel room with a kama'aina discount that we got one weekend was $300/night plus tax. This was during low season, mid-January. I think you should be able to rent points for cheaper than that for a studio that would sleep 4.

4. It would be me, DH, DD4 and our baby who is due in October, plus my MIL and SIL. Is it better to book two studios? A one-bedroom? Two bedroom? What would be the best deal, but also allow us enough space?
Two studios would be the cheapest option. A 1 bedroom only sleeps 5 + an infant so you'd be awfully squishy, I wouldn't recommend it (and I'm usually the one who says go ahead and have 9 in a 2 bedroom/max out the capacity of the room, and have happily done so!). For that group of people a 2 bedroom would be my favorite option, since having the full kitchen, 2 1/2 baths, and a washer/dryer would be invaluable, especially with the baby (though I guess since you're staying with relatives prior/after the washer/dryer would be superfluous). The 2 bedroom would be the most expensive option, but not a whole lot higher than 2 studios.

5. What have been your favorite activities, etc.? Any restaurants that are a must, activities we HAVE to do?
You can read my mini-TR in my signature. Since you've been to Oahu before and sound fairly familiar with the islands, I'd say just kick back and enjoy all the resort has to offer. I really enjoyed Ama'Ama though others have been underwhelmed. Roy's chocolate souffle is always a must-have for me, if I'm near one. The Starlight Hui is supposed to be awesome but only offered a few nights a week. I also enjoyed the fireside stories, but missed walking over to see the Black Pearl (got distracted by the pools, etc).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter