Tough Questions for Cruise Experts!

E

erikthewise

We took our first cruise in Dec 2001 and are now starting to plan another for Dec 2004. (Yes I hope the intervals will be shorter in the future!)

After our first cruise there were two questions I had that never really got answered. So I will raise them again and hope somebody is up to answering them this time.

(1) Exactly what is the $5pp charge at Palo supposed to pay for, and how should that affect the way you tip, if at all?

I read a lot of material in preparation for our first cruise, some of which seemed to say that the $5 was really a gratuity. One source said that it was "to compensate your regular server for the loss of your gratuity for that evenings dinner", which I now don't believe. I actually talked to the head waiter (or whatever) at Palo when we ate there to try to understand it. He said that the $5 was split among all the Palo staff. I'm still not sure if he meant just the servers or literally all the staff. As a couple I tipped our server (an additional?) $10 as the service was top-notch, but I'm still not sure if I did the right thing. If that was the only gratuity he received it wouldn't really have been adequate. I also suspect that many Palo guests don't tip at all thinking the $5pp IS their tip. (FWIW I did tip our regular servers as if we ate with them all three nights.)

(2) I did not the spa as such, but I did enter the spa twice to use the exercise room. I noticed that on the left of the corridor just before you reach the exercise room is what appears to be an ordinary (but very nice!) locker room with showers. My question is whether this is available for use without additional charge, or is it only available to those using paid spa treatments. I tried to ask this of someone at the spa front desk, but she did not seem to understand anything other than paying for spa treatments.

I dont know if I can help much but I will try

When we cruised Disney last November my Inlaws went to Palo one night and they were wondering why the additional $5.00 charge as well. The host who seated them (cant remember the name) told them it was a service charge for gratuities. Disney cruise website says the same thing. They also tipped extra above the $5.00 per person because they got exceptional service and figured that the meal they just ate back here at home would have cost them about 100.00 so for 20 bucks it was worth it. I would imagine it is for the servers who serve at Palo who might miss out on a regular dining room rotation of tips if that makes sense. They dont work at a regular dining room every night so they dont get the same amount of tip money that those working in the regular dining rooms get so this is a way to make it up to them. I think tipping above and beyond the service charge is really nice for them and it was wonderful you did it if you felt the service called for it. I know when we went on the Carnival Spirit they charged $25.00 for the same kind of deal so the $5.00 seemed like a bargain! We plan on trying it this next cruise we go on.

I dont know about the Disney spa showers but I do know on other lines they did not charge us to use the showers and we didnt have to buy a spa treatment to use them either. They were SO nice we ended up showering there alot because they had huge shower stalls unlike our rooms! :D I would imagine they are for anyone to use but maybe a spa expert could tell you more.

HTH
Heidi

The locker rooms are for all the guests use....if you would like to use a locker, proceed to front desk....they will ask you for your KTTW card, and they will give you a key to a locker

Note that in the locker room, they have a very nice sauna, that I noticed was built in Bologna, italy....also, the showers are very nice, with shower gel and shampoo....

The Palo cover charge ($5/person for dinner) is distributed amongst the Palo staff. The charge is shared between the dining manager (who in this case, is also the head server), the assistant server (the person who brings the bread and dipping sauces), the server, and I believe, (some of) the kitchen crew. The server receives a <font color=blue> very </font> small portion of the cover charge and 100% of any additional tip left for him/her above the cover and bar charges (on our cruises, our server took our drink orders).

Maleficient:

The server receives a very small portion of the cover charge and 100% of any additional tip left for him/her above the cover and bar charges
This would mean that by leaving a little extra you greatly mutiply the amount the Server gets. Remember, this is the person that makes such a special night even more special.

To people as fortunate as we all must be (and anyone going on a Dis Cruise is fortunate), a couple extra bucks to these fine people goes along way.

My two cents.

Jim

I agree, and am disappointed that DCL cannot be bothered to say that "This charge does not constitute a tip to your server". This simple statement would increase their tips considerably. As it is the best servers on the ship may be receiving the fewest tips. :confused:

When we recently were on the Magic, my DH and I went to both the Brunch as well as Dinner. Never did I imagine that the service charge had anything to do with the excellent service we received. We most probably "over tipped" but as another poster suggested...it was greatly deserved. At both meals our server made it extra special.

My thought on the $5.00 for dinner and $10.00 brunch charge is more so a "guarantee" that people will not make reservations and just not show up without cancelling. This way, they have somewhat of a financial obligation to show up. If they choose not to cancel they do not receive a refund, as that time slot could have been offered to someone else. Just a thought!!

We tipped our server at Palo very well...we loved him...he was so wonderful to us.

We figured out what the tip on the wonderful meal we had would be in an upscale restaurant and tripled it. You all must remember..these kids don't get paid all that much anyway for the work they do.

We also decided next time...we would make sure to have enough cash to tip these kids at Palo, instead of room charge...so they are sure to get it all.

Webray...do we have to leave "cash" in order for our server to get 100% of the tip (above the "service charge")?

The designated server receives tips charged to the KTTW; it is not necessary to bring cash if you don't want to. The "automatic gratuities" such as cover charges for Palo and the 15% bar charge are pooled and distributed, but the additional tips are not. Regarding the cover charges, I have been told that part of the reasoning is to discourage "no shows" (I wish they would implement this for high tea!)

"This charge does not constitute a tip to your server". This simple statement would increase their tips considerably.

While I agree that the cover charges for Palo are confusing, this statement is technically not correct because the servers do receive a small portion of the cover charge. Perhaps DCL is silent on this issue because policies/procedures may change.

We generally bring cash for those instances when there is no slip to sign (i.e., high tea at Palo). While a tip is not expected for high tea, we believe that a tip is appropriate when one receives adequate (and above) service. I believe that tipping is a personal issue, but I personally do not feel that there is such a thing as "over tipping." :D

During our most recent cruise we had dinner at Palos twice and brunch once. This was our third cruise with Disney and all have been beyond wonderful.

From what my husband has researched, most of the service crew gets way below minimum wage for a regular salary. The majority of their pay comes from tips.

Therefore, since we had exceptional service and exceptional food, we tipped as if we had spent $100 at a comparable resturant.

I would eat at Palos everynight, but have to keep an eye on those kidlings :-)

Kate

The locker rooms do have the best showers and nice big towels.

As for the Palo's servers, they are wonderful and deserve the extra tips. The way we looked at it, the $10.00 brunch charge paid for the champers.

We also brought phone cards to tip for high tea, since we really didn't have a clue how much that would run here at home.

As a reference, high tea at the Grand Hotel in Michigan is $25 / person, so a $4 - $5 / person tip would not be unreasonable on board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter