Touring Plans - worth it or not

amyecpa

Mouseketeer
Do you guys think TP is worth the subscription price? Any stories where it really made a difference?

Yes, not for the touring plans myself but rather for the crowd calendar. There is also a wealth of information like dining information and menus, park hours, showtimes, trip tracker, room requests, etc...

Dan

I’ll politely disagree with the above posters and say no. Here’s why:
1. Crowd calendars are pretty much bust right now. New lands opened and the old algorithms aren’t useful.
2. Everyone seems to have caught on and used TP which doesn’t give an edge to anyone anymore.
3. It’s always busy season. There are no longer days where it’s not super busy. Expect every day to be a 10 and hope it’s not.

My two cents here is plan your days your way. Relying on TP or their crowd calendars is outdated advice at this point.
As always, YMMV.

I like it. Helps me organize our trips and helps me figure out what to do when (with inputs from other sources as well). I like having an electronic copy of my plans that I can send out to those we are traveling with. I never use my plans as a final word but it’s nice to have an idea of what we want to accomplish and I can real time optimize our plans as we get through it.

I enjoyed using the TP custom touring plan feature to map out days (putting attractions in the order we want...not using their plans) and then let TP evaluate...I then used the line estimates to decide on my FP+ wish list. The estimates won't be perfect...but I prefer working with some data and then being prepared to skip steps of we "get behind."

I thought the trip planner and the way you could re-optimize it in the parks was amazing--and for us it actually turned out being remarkably accurate despite the parks being busier than projected. Half of our trip ended up being 9s and 10s and those touring plans were still worth their weight in gold--we didn't wait more than 15 minutes more than a handful of times in a week of pretty heavy touring (rope drop one park, close out a different one every day).

I thought it was definitely worth it!

1. Crowd calendars are pretty much bust right now. New lands opened and the old algorithms aren’t useful.
2. Everyone seems to have caught on and used TP which doesn’t give an edge to anyone anymore.
3. It’s always busy season. There are no longer days where it’s not super busy. Expect every day to be a 10 and hope it’s not.

My two cents here is plan your days your way. Relying on TP or their crowd calendars is outdated advice at this point.
As always, YMMV.
Think about #2 for a sec...completely false. I’d wager that <10% of folks in the park use any touring plan and maybe a few percent use the Touringplans

It's been worth it for every trip we have done. We often finish ahead of the plan and have free time to do what we wish. The price is insanely cheap for what it provides. I have WDW, DLR, and Universal Orlando memberships and have done all of our family trips (listed in my sig) with them.

Despite how many people may know about TP, few people actually really use it. You always see anecdotal stories on here of families who refuse to follow the plan. I have never ever seen another person using the Lines app or using a printed copy of their Touring Plan while in the park.

As always, YMMV.

Touring Plans is more than a crowd calendar. In fact, I don't even use the crowd calendar. We go when we want or when we can, usually during the busiest seasons. Their custom plans are amazing.

I find RideMax to be better and you don’t have to subscribe to make touring plans. (If you don’t subscribe you won’t get the crowd calendars)

I know the reservation finder is free, but I use that, and I like that it emails you when the park hours change and that they will do a room fax for you. I don't use the touring plans feature. I prefer to make my own. When I've tried it, there are too many quirks to work out or ignore. It's probably more helpful for a less experienced planner. But for the minimal cost, I think it's worth it. That and an EasyWDW book hardly cost anything in the scope of a WDW vacation, and are totally worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter