Touring Plans - worth it or not

i really like the custom plans. It’s nice to have a game plan before getting there that everyone had agreed to (especially if you have a larger group) to avoid standing around going “Well, where to now.” Someone else said it really well in another thread: It’s great not so much because you have an ironclad plan but in working it out you learn things that allow you to make good real time decisions when the inevitable hiccups happen. It makes it really easy to put together plan A and know what you should do if you have to switch to plan B or C.

Yes definitely worth it! We use the lines app, and I like to make mock touring plans, we have used the touring plans on some days and it has saved us time. I also like the website ( which is free), dining reservation finder and for the minimal price it's worth it to our family.

I absolutely love it. But mostly because I am a planner, and I like spend time to mapping out our plans/attractions prior to our visit. Once we actually get to the parks, I only loosely follow it, but it helps me know what to expect.

Yes! 100% worth it. I like being able to make the custom touring plans, it helps me decide what time to make our table service dinner reservations based off of our touring plan.

For those of you saying you like the lines app, how does that compare to the wait times on the MDX App?

I like it but I probably don’t need it. I make the the customized plans as more of a suggestion but they do help keep us at least semi on track. It’s also just part of my pre-trip excitement, like buying giant copy of the unofficial guide. I don’t need it and probably get most of my info other places ( like here ) but it’s not a Disney Trip unless I’ve thumbed through it.

I like TP and the price is a micro-percent of our total WDW vacation cost. But that said, I have found it more useful on some trips than others as far as the park plans. Last few trips have been all adults who don't mind extra walking to maximize our park days. Upcoming is a multi-gen trip with 4 little ones under the age of 6. Even though you can "minimize walking" on the TP plan, I have found it more useful to create my own plan on a spreadsheet, filling in FP times and using good 'ole paper park maps to loosely plan a park day that minimizes backtracking.

Yes, not for the touring plans myself but rather for the crowd calendar. There is also a wealth of information like dining information and menus, park hours, showtimes, trip tracker, room requests, etc...

Dan

This.

I did use the room request fax service and got a room 2 doors down from the primary one I requested. Not too shabby.

I used the menus a ton in planning - they are almost all up to date and tell you the date it was last checked for accuracy. And most of them have the allergy menus as well. Invaluable for someone planning with food allergies.

I will admit/confess that in spite of making plans and dutifully printing them out, each one so far has gone unlooked at in the parks. I think I am just not the kind of person that works for. I use my fast passes and get more as I can, but I am also not allergic to lines and would just rather be spontaneous when touring. (And I get everything done I want to do - sometimes multiple times.)

Disclosure... I am a solo adult traveler.

For those of you saying you like the lines app, how does that compare to the wait times on the MDX App?

The lines app gives you the posted wait time, the "expected" wait time (which is often more accurate than the posted time) and a little blurb on what that wait time means: go now because wait times will build until this time; wait because wait times are dropping for the next 2 hours...

It is worth it to me. I don't do the custom plans but I love using the Room Request Fax feature and have used it for the last 3 trips and we've gotten our request each time. It is also worth it for the Dining Reservation finder... there were a couple that we needed and we ended up getting them. I do also like to look at the crowd tracker to compare our trip dates from the previous year.

Yes I think it's worth it! It's a ton of information for a very small price. We also bought their book for Universal and loved having it.

I would never go on a multi-generational trip without it. The ability to make your own plan, adjust walking speed and have a map with locations marked by number is priceless, especially if you can physically give them to members of your group who aren't smart phone savvy.

For my trip last year I feel it was worth it. I obsess and pour over all the information I can find. This gave me another outlet for information and plans. I may not have stuck to my plan like glue during my trip, but I found it worthwhile for the information I gleaned ahead of time, as well as keeping my busy with another form of planning.

I also think it's worth it for looking at the crowd calendars, making my own touring plans and getting excited for my trip!
I kept redoing our daily itineraries and printed out final versions for our Halloween trip. We kept to them pretty much and the times were pretty accurate. It really helped me get all the things I wanted to do in my day and showed me the best way to do it - even though I did a lot of rearranging. I also created alternative itineraries with different park arrival times in case we didn't get to the park by rope-drop.

Last edited:
Agree with others here. Don't get it for the crowd calendar, get it for the app and custom touring plans. I created custom touring plans for each day and it gave a good idea of what we could fit in a day, including where to fit FP+. It even takes into account walking times.

Then at the parks, I would check things off as we went in the app. Some things got moved around, but it really helped keep track of what we did and what we still wanted to do. And I found it much easier to check wait times in the TP app, than in the official app.

I like it for the custom plans. I just wouldn't count 100% on their custom plans wait time estimates. Give yourself some extra time. Most of the times seem on par with what I've been seeing in MDE or personally experienced, but a few seem low.

Some questionable times for my Birthday Trip (Mid to Late August) --

PeopleMover (11 AM): 0 minutes
Small World (10 AM): 6 minutes
Anna & Elsa M&G (4:30 PM): 11 minutes (similar figures for morning times, MDE has been trending 20-45 minutes recently)
Rafiki's Planet Watch (11 AM): 5 minutes
Alien Saucers (12 PM): 13 minutes ( :rotfl2: I know they don't have any data as it hasn't opened yet, but 13 minutes???)
Slink Dog Dash (11 AM): 76 minutes (Same as above. 7DMT regularly sees longer waits, isn't as new, and is in a park with more attractions to spread out the crowds)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!