Towing with FastPass/EZ Pass

disneyorbust

Earning My Ears
We are travelling from MA to FW this week towing our pop-up. I called Fast Lane and told them that I was going to have 3 axles instead of 2 and they told me that I had to bring in my transponder to reprogram it. Last year when I came down, I never called to tell anyone that I was towing and had no problems through any of the tolls. Should I bother this year? Anyone else deal with this? I figured I'd post on the camping board since we all tow, but I'm going to post this on the transportation board too. Thanks!!

I have fastpass and I sometimes go with just a car (2 axles) and
sometimes with the van and popup (3 axles) - apparently sunpass can detect your axles and will charge accordingly...
in fact, it originally charges for 2 axles, and then later, corrects it to the 3 axles. Luckily, sometimes, I get thru with it only catching 2...BUT I do not need it "reprogrammed" every time i switch vehicles, etc...hope this helps...

According to the EZPass website, if you only occasionally tow a trailer, you can just go through the toll barrier and the system is supposed to figure out the axles and charge you appropriately. But on some roads, reality is different. On the Garden State Parkway (NJ), towed vehicles are not allowed in EZPass lanes. On the New York Thruway, you must go through a manned both. It will pick up the EZPass and the toll collector will change the vehicle class manually.

I hope these details help.

Happy Camping!

Al

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter