Toy Story Mania and lack of depth perception

PatR1213

Earning My Ears
My special needs son's eyes are misaligned so he has no depth perception. Any point to riding Toy Story Mania since the 3D glasses are of no use to him? And he wouldn't wear them anyway.

Honestly the screens will probably hurt his eyes. I would probably just go with like buzz lightyear which even thoughe he may not be able to play the game as well with no depth perception at least he can control the car spin.

I have heard they have glasses that make it not 3D. Unsure if that is true or not but perhaps worth investigating.

My daughter has strabismus and doesn't like wearing 3D glasses for anything. But she loves enjoys TSMM even without the glasses. I suggest you have him check out some YouTube videos to see what he thinks.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have no depth presction and I love this ride, I will use the glasses ( even thought it really dose nothing for me, the ride looked the same with them on or off)

the only thing I find hard is hitting the targets they are always a few inches to the left or right then where I think they should be,

I would let him know about the ride and see what he wants to do,

My youngest freaked out in the Muppets with the 3-D so we skipped the glasses for the rest of the trip. The screens are a bit hazy without them, but visible. He had a great time on it.

I have no depth perception from strabismus. Disney is the only place I actually get some 3D effect. It is very weird. If I am tired it is just blurry but otherwise I can actually do ok with the glasses on there. I have no idea why - maybe the Disney magic but I get some of the 3 d effect there (or minimal blurring anyway as even the muppets show rarely looks like it is actually 3D.

It's not true

I wonder what tech is beyond the Disney 3D. I know a few people who use the "2D glasses" because family and friends want to go to 3D movies over 2D but they get headaches so they bought a pair of glasses made for any movie RealD 3D that makes it 2D.

I have no depth perception from strabismus, the glasses take out the fuzziness of the screens for me. The ride is still fun for me.
It can't hurt to have him try it once, and see what he thinks about it.

If you do not wear the 3D glasses you may see "double" images during the show even if you closed one eye. I think how bad this effect is depends on where you are sitting in the theater. There are two projectors aimed at the screen and the (slightly different) images they project might not exactly coincide. The 3D glasses block one of the projectors' outputs from each eye.

Last edited:
my hubby can't see 3D anymore.. he so misses the effects he used to be able to see.. it is kind of disheartening that there used to be a few attractions that were 3 D.. now.. almost every new attraction is 3D. and requires 3D ability to enjoy to the fullest.
my husband loves thrill rides.. esp since he had low vision, but can feel physical effects.
nowadays. imagineers have decided everything needs to be "simulated" instead of enjoyed in real life. it leaves out a lot of people.

I'm 43 and have strabismus as well. I don't enjoy 3D movies in general but I'm able to force my bad eye to look straight to get 3D for seconds at a time....I usually just don't try. But you do have to wear the glasses to get rid of the fuzziness.

With that said, i love this ride, give it a chance it could become one of his favorites.

I have no depth perception from strabismus. Disney is the only place I actually get some 3D effect. It is very weird. If I am tired it is just blurry but otherwise I can actually do ok with the glasses on there. I have no idea why - maybe the Disney magic but I get some of the 3 d effect there (or minimal blurring anyway as even the muppets show rarely looks like it is actually 3D.
I was going to say the same thing. My daughter is the same. Disney 3d seems to be magic for her. LOL.

That is awesome! I thought I was the only one!

I also see 3D on these attractions, takes some straining , so I don't usually force it very long....but makes we wonder, "Is this what everyone else sees all the time, how srange."

I also see 3D on these attractions, takes some straining , so I don't usually force it very long....but makes we wonder, "Is this what everyone else sees all the time, how srange."

I feel the same way. Having never seen depth it is hard to imagine what the world really looks like to people.

This was something I had posted a few years ago when someone was asking about 3D movies for her small daughter with lack of depth perception. Thought I would repeat it here:

Here are my thoughts about the 3D shows:
Mickey's Philharmagic at MK - the music is very good and the show would still be enjoyable even if you could not see the pictures. The pictures are also really good and would be worth seeing even without the music. This is the newest movie and has the best pictures and best 3D effects. It includes scenes from Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Lion King among others. If she is familiar with any of these movies, she will probably enjoy this. The story line is very simple - Donald Duck put on Mickey's magic hat, which flew off his head and keeps flying away from him. He spends the movie chasing the hat through scenes from different movies.

Bug's Life at AK - I would skip this one too. The audience is shrunk to the size of bugs and gets an introduction to bugs. I have never been in this show without someone carrying a screaming preschooler out. Some of the scary things include a friendly bug that 'sprays' the audience with stink bug scent, a friendly bug that 'sprays' the audience with 'acid', Hopper (the 'evil bug' of the movie) bigger than most kid's dads, and angry bugs 'spraying' the audience with bug spray, swatting with fly swatters, spiders falling from the ceiling and wasps coming to 'sting' the audience.

Muppets 3D at the Studio - I would go to the one at MK first and go to this one if she does well with that. There is more 'talk' in this movie as the Muppet characters explain what they are doing/what's happening. The movie is cute and does have some musical numbers. If she is familiar with the Muppet characters, she will probably enjoy it more.

About the 3D effects; the technology in the movies use polarized lenses. So, viewed thru one eye with the 3D glasses, there will still be a clear image. If you have differing vision in both eyes, cover the eye with the worst vision.
The movie at MK is the newest and does have the clearest movie. On a visit this past March, my oldest DD and her DH were with us. My son in law has MS and was recovering from an MS episode when we went to WDW. One of the effects of his episode was that he had lost most vision in one eye (don't worry, it's almost all back now). The reason I mention it is that he is someone who previously had 3D vision and temporarily did not. He saw all the movies except Honey I Shrunk the Audience (NOTE: gone for quite a few years) and said none of them gave him a headache.
He said that Mickey's Philharmagic was really well done and did give a 3D appearance, even when viewed with one eye.
He is an artist (specifically, a comic book artist - and specifically in comics, his specialty is inking. The inker emphasizes lines and puts in shadows, highlights (and uses color, in color comics) to give an illusion of some things being farther back and some closer. The drawing artist uses blurred items in the background to make them appear farther away. He explained that they use the same techniques in the 3D movies to make things look 3D. You can even see that in 2D movies like the picture from Buzz Lightyear:
Woody---Buzz-Lightyear-toy-story-478714_1024_768.jpg

The polarized lenses intensify and complete the effect, but the colors, shadows and art put into making the film in the first place are what gives the start of the 3D 'look' in the first place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter