Trader Sam's...alone??

YawningDodo

DIS Veteran
This is probably a moot point since I don't know when I'd fit it into my schedule anyway, but I was thinking just this evening about Trader Sam's and how we never got around to going to the one in Disneyland this last fall. I'll be in WDW for one evening and one full day -- I plan to end the full day at MK, so depending on whether I go to Trader Sam's before MK/if it's still open when I leave it's not outside the realm of possibility. I've been there once before and had a pretty good time (and I like the souvenir glasses), but that was with another person. Seems like it might be awkward alone since it's basically just a bar underneath all the special effects. Thoughts? I wonder if maybe going at a less busy time would be good because I might have a better chance of being able to make small talk with the bartender....

I haven't been to the WDW solo but I have been to the DL solo. I had a lot of fun. I thought I was going at a slow time but when I walked in it was packed but I found a spot at the bar within minutes the people next to me started including me in their conversation (and I am a shy person so I didn't initiate it). So if you want to talk to someone just sit at the bar and I'm sure someone there will talk to you.

Even though I haven't been to the WDW solo I have gone with other and I did notice people chatting at the bartender while sitting at the bar.

I went solo last year. I asked the person next to me to take my picture. Started a convo right then. They left, some other dude sat down. He ordered some food to go (I think his family was in a Poly room, and he was going to take it back to them). He then POUNDED three hippopotomaitais in like 10 minutes. I think he really needed that break! Anyway... what was the question? Oh yeah, I was solo, the hippo dude was solo, it happens. And I am NOT the most outgoing person in the world. But I made it work.

I've only been once but from my solo experiences at WDW I've never felt out of place anywhere. On this occasion I met a couple of friends from a cruise we'd all been on the previous week. We had a drink and they left when they finished theirs as they had a FAST PASS for something. I stayed and had another drink as I'd no real plans before heading to one of the parks, and I was enjoying the chance to sit in the AC and have a tasty adult beverage.

I've visit both Trader Sam's all the time solo and sometimes it's busy and sometimes it's not. In my opinion the key to visiting any of Trader Sam's is to hang out at the bar and not at one of the tables. I've interacted with the bartenders so much that a few of them know me by name. I'm also a big collector of the mugs.

Glad it sounds like I'm not nuts for considering a solo stop! When we went before it was bustling but not packed, and the two of us parked at a table (which we ended up sharing with a couple, who were lovely). Going solo, I think the suggestions to find a spot at the bar are good. I'm a fairly self-sufficient person and I don't need to socialize to have a good time, but in certain settings it seems like it would be awkward not to strike up a conversation.

It'll probably depend on my budget and how over- or under-spent I am at that point, since it's on the tail end of my trip. Think I could get over there either on the night I get in, after dinner at Boma, or on the way in or out of MK the next night. We'll see. I'm trying to pace myself and enjoy a smaller number of things more fully in my (very) limited time in WDW instead of stressing about trying to do "everything."

Go and enjoy! I've been a number of times solo and always grab a seat at one of the tables. Others will join you as seating is at a premium. No problem. A little small talk about the weather, their fav part of the day, etc goes a long way. Think I only had one awkward encounter with a Mom and her 2 adult sons who sat down with me. The "boys" were big mug collectors so something to talk about. The family had a unique & really off vibe but hey, its a wild world out there. Not really sure what was going on there & had zero interest in asking or finding out. And with so many people packed into such a small space, and a few families with young children around esp at opening, never any worries about other guests' strangeness. Part of the ambience & experience :D

Hi...I've gone solo multiple times and ended up meeting someone every time. I admit I do feel more comfy at the bar than just joining another table though.

Went there solo right as they opened. I think it's a good place to be by yourself...you can spend most of your time just sipping your drink and watching the effects (I was at the bar). The bartender was also talkative, and I had another solo girl sitting next to me who was getting married the next day or something and we had a nice chat. So, talkative seat-mate or not, I don't think you'll feel awkward.

Trader Sam's is on my list for my solo trip in February. I'm pretty excited to venture out to the Polynesian, I've never been there before.

It's on my list! Haven't made it there yet. DH and I tried to go in Oct when we were there, but we went on a day they were releasing a special edition glass and the line was horrendous!

Go for it!! Just sit at the bar. Since Trader Sams always has so much going on, it won't feel awkward. Also, in my experience, people are always super friendly and talkative at the bars.

I'm planning on going during my solo trip. My husband isn't a drinker and has no interest in going, so I figured this was the perfect opportunity.

Has anyone ordered a drink that was not one of their specialities? Where they good? I went to the one at Disneyland and was very disappointed. The food was excellent, the service was not very good but it was busy and there where few staff but the drinks :crazy2::crazy2: where terrible. My friend sent her's back and I should have also.

I've done it a few times - it's always fun - and it is rare that I am the only one on my own

One advantage is they usually do a head count when it is just one person - I've seen them tell 2+ groups ahead of me it will be at least 30 minutes - and then they do a head count when I am on my own and have let me in, but YMMV

This is pretty much the only reason I even make it over to Disney anymore

I spent 3 hours solo in Trader Sam's last week and just have to say - if you are having doubts about going there alone, GO! It was one of the most fun evenings I've had at Disney. I sat at the bar, with 2 parents and their 2 adult children to one side, and a couple to my other side. We all ended up talking and laughing together, and talking with the bar tenders. By the end of the evening, we were trying each other's drinks, and chanting about the hippos in the trees, and teasing the guy who ordered Bud Light. When I left, they hugged me goodbye. The shared craziness of that bar brings people together in a way that is really fun. Of all the Disney bars I've been to, it was the most fun as a solo. Definitely, definitely hit Trader Sam's if you have the chance!

I did get there solo a few days ago. Arrived around 4:15, found an empty seat at the big high middle table, chatted with my neighbors and enjoyed the atmosphere and a few drinks. Took home a souvenir mug

Trader Sam's works well for solos because there is a large table in the middle that everyone is forced to mingle. There's also a (small) bar seating area that also works well for solos. The place is not very big to begin with and everyone grabs whatever seat they can get. Probably the best place for a solo to hang out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter