Traditions What is it like?

MTEPCOT55

Earning My Ears
So on our arrival day we need to attend Traditions, Disney's orientation. For former CP students what is it like? It is a formal event right?

So on our arrival day we need to attend Traditions, Disney's orientation. For former CP students what is it like? It is a formal event right?

No Traditions is basically a class. You go to Traditions on your 3rd day or something like that... That's where you get your nametag and Disney ID badge.
You wake up really early, dress in professional clothing that adheres to the Disney Look guidelines (they give you a booklet on your first day so you know what to wear) then you catch the bus at 7am or something like that and you go to Disney University and it's like a 4 hour class where you learn about the Disney Culture and Traditions and who Walt Disney was and how he started it all... :goodvibes
It seems long and not-so-fun, but the Cast Members running it make it fun- or at least they did for my Traditions :cutie:

Traditions is a class that serves to explain to new Walt Disney World Company Cast Members at the Disneyland Resort in California and Walt Disney World Resort in Florida the legacy and history of their respective resorts, the Walt Disney World Company, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, and The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, not to mention our Company's policies and Operating Procedures.

The concept was originally conceived when Disneyland Park opened in 1955. Walt Disney had a high level of expectations of the Employees who would be working his newest venture. They would be different from Amusement Park Employees of the day - namely friendly and well-kempt.

To this end, he recruited Van Arsdale France, a Training Consultant, who helped to found the University of Disneyland (the precursor to the modern Disney University) and develop the first Disneyland Park Employee Orientation Programme.

France realised that, in order to acheive Disney's goals, new Cast Members needed to be aware of the big picture, to know that they were doing something bigger than themselves. As such, the first new Employee Orientation Programmes focused on the idea that Disneyland Park Cast Members represented Walt Disney to the public, and that, as such, they needed to conduct themselves in a manner that would not only reflect well of them, but also of Walt Disney himself, as well as all of the Disney Organization.

However, after the untimely death of Walt Disney in 1966, and with the impending opening of the Walt Disney World Resort in 1971, it was felt that a different approach was necessary to address the new situation that the Company found itself in. As such, the idea was changed to focus on the fact that Walt had left behind a series of "Traditions" which would continue to guide the Company and it's actions despite his absence.

It is these fundamental ideas: things such as quality and attention to the details; this core concept that "We Create Happiness..." and make dreams come true for our Guests and Clients, that continue to form the basis for the modern Traditions class and form the backbone of everything we do at the Walt Disney World Company, as well as at The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

As to the dress code, all Walt Disney World Co. Cast Members attending Traditions or any other Company Class are expected to be in full compliance with the Non-Costumed Cast Member Guidelines specified in The Disney Look.

To this end, he recruited Van Arsdale France, a Training Consultant, who helped to found the University of Disneyland (the precursor to the modern Disney University) and develop the first Disneyland Park Employee Orientation Programme.

France realised that, in order to acheive Disney's goals, new Cast Members needed to be aware of the big picture, to know that they were doing something bigger than themselves. As such, the first new Employee Orientation Programmes focused on the idea that Disneyland Park Cast Members represented Walt Disney to the public, and that, as such, they needed to conduct themselves in a manner that would not only reflect well of them, but also of Walt Disney himself, as well as all of the Disney Organization.

I was hoping you'd bring Van up :goodvibes

Just a quick note no one else mentioned, but if you show up to Traditions and you're not adhering to the Disney Look, you will either be told to fix whatever's wrong or, if you can't fix it then and there, sent home. I saw a whole mess of guys being sent to the bathroom to shave, girls being told to take off their too-big earrings, things like that. So, just something to keep in mind.

Just a quick note no one else mentioned, but if you show up to Traditions and you're not adhering to the Disney Look, you will either be told to fix whatever's wrong or, if you can't fix it then and there, sent home. I saw a whole mess of guys being sent to the bathroom to shave, girls being told to take off their too-big earrings, things like that. So, just something to keep in mind.

Yep- I was wearing dress capris that I specifically checked to make sure they were Disney Look- which they were- but the Cast Members told me it was the wrong material and I had to walk in my heels, in the rain, over to Costuming to borrow a pair of costume black pants :eek:
I checked the Disney Look booklet after my Traditions to see if I had the wrong material- the Cast Members were wrong! I had the correct material :headache:
so this time i'm gonna make sure I wear something that won't cause any issues lol

Yep- I was wearing dress capris that I specifically checked to make sure they were Disney Look- which they were- but the Cast Members told me it was the wrong material and I had to walk in my heels, in the rain, over to Costuming to borrow a pair of costume black pants :eek:
I checked the Disney Look booklet after my Traditions to see if I had the wrong material- the Cast Members were wrong! I had the correct material :headache:
so this time i'm gonna make sure I wear something that won't cause any issues lol

Yeah, I have a small tattoo on the inside of my right wrist, so I wore long sleeves because I didn't want any problems. I covered it with a watch for the rest of my CP, but I didn't want to get sent home from Traditions. They're, by far, the pickiest company I've ever seen in terms of dress code. They can do it, though, obviously. :flower3:

Are you sure?

Capris are one of the things called out as not being allowed (2nd to last bullet under Business Attire for Women).
http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/disneylook/females_noncost.html

Material may have been OK, but maybe they were sending you back due to the capris.
No
I specifically checked to make sure they were Disney Look- which they were- but the Cast Members told me it was the wrong material

They weren't capri's i don't know how to describe them... they were almost like culottes i think. They were disney look but the cast members thought they were spandex-like material but they were rayon and linen.
It was the material. not the length or style.

Traditions doesn't have to always be early. About 5 of my roommates had the early class (8am). While my other friends and I had the 2nd class which started at 2.

You spend the first hour super excited to be there and then the next three trying not to fall asleep.

<< unlucky person who had to be up at 6 something to catch the bus to Traditions :(

Wear comfortable shoes!! When we toured the parks they didn't care if we changed into tennis shoes/more comfortable shoes.

The thing about going to something early on Disney time is that you usually have to catch a bus at least an hour before hand to get there on time, and then you have to wake up plenty of time before that and to be at least 10 minutes early to the bus stop! Plus after all the traveling to get to Orlando, unpacking, and the craziness of the first week I wasn't too excited to have to wake up before 7 AM the first few weeks.

But it is exciting!!

You spend the first hour super excited to be there and then the next three trying not to fall asleep.

<< unlucky person who had to be up at 6 something to catch the bus to Traditions :(

Wear comfortable shoes!! When we toured the parks they didn't care if we changed into tennis shoes/more comfortable shoes.

The thing about going to something early on Disney time is that you usually have to catch a bus at least an hour before hand to get there on time, and then you have to wake up plenty of time before that and to be at least 10 minutes early to the bus stop! Plus after all the traveling to get to Orlando, unpacking, and the craziness of the first week I wasn't too excited to have to wake up before 7 AM the first few weeks.

But it is exciting!!

Must attendees take the bus, or is there parking available for those who have their own cars? Also, in order to change into more comfortable shoes, what do you bring a back pack or something? (for a guy, not a girl with a large purse)

TIA

You could in theory drive yourself there but I would not recommend it. Disney U is not necessarily the easiest place to get yourself to and in order to get there you need your ID which you won't get till Traditions. I had to drive back after Traditions to get my ID b/c I forgot my license (DON'T FORGET YOUR STATE ISSUED ID! ITS A PAIN IN THE *** IF YOU DO!!) and I was able to get back but I'm not sure how/why the cast member at the MK parking thingy let me back. I probably looked like a CP in my professional clothing.

It is easiest to just take the bus. Honestly even if you have a car I would recommend taking the bus to Traditions and your first week of training. You don't want to be late and it would be easy to get lost when you are new to the area. Being late to Traditions would be a HUGE no-no. I'm not sure if they would let you into the class. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't and then you would have to be rescheduled and that would possibly push back your training schedule.

Yes, you can drive, but as Frizzbird mentioned, the bus is more convienent.

The class is held at Disney University and the building does have it's own parking lot. Non-CPs are expected to drive themself to Traditions everyday. From the CP housing... take 535 north, turn left with 535, follow the road for about 5 minutes, turn left onto Reams road. As you turn to the right there is a hidden road to the left that is marked as a private road for WDW Cast Members. DU is the first left off of this road, across from the CM MK Parking Lot.

Depending on your role, many of your first days of training may be at DU as well. Some departments that start at DU include:

Entertainment
Merchandise
Front Desk
Housekeeping
Custodial
Food and Beverage

plus others.

You do not need your ID to enter the parking lot or the building.

lol. I went through the MK parking thing and then back past contemporary and behind MK. Probably not the most direct way to go. But thats what my GPS told me to do. I always wondered why it told me to go that way. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter