Transatlantic & Med 2007 BLOGs and TRIP REPORTs and other Important FAQ

CRSNDSNY

DIS Veteran
Can anyone who has been on DCL's Transatlantic cruise before post a link to their blog and/or trip report?

Photos, too, would probably be helpful.

THANKS!

There are lots of trip reports for these cruises. If you go to the trip report forum and scroll to the bottom of the page there is a place in the left corner under DISPLAY OPTIONS where you can change the option from "the last month" to "beginning" then click on display options. The trip reports currently start on page 13. when that comes up. I went through page 17 and here are the reports that stood out. I may have missed some if they didn't have the date or med in the title. There are some really good threads here with general information too.

Bringing home the "Magic" from the Med with pics- Completed

My rather long Westbound Transatlantic trip report

28th July 07- Med trip report & photo diary- Romancing the Mouse - an aliens report!

ROME-ancing the Mouse - July 28th Med cruise
[this one has a list of blogs in the first post too]

Transatlantic Aug 18 - Sept 1

July 28th Med Cruise-Romancing the Mouse-TRIP REPORT

Seaulater In The Med - Disney Magic July 18-28, 2007

July 18-28 Med Cruise

If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Barcelona! 7/18/07**Two Updates Added**!!

May 07 Med Cruise

All in one place: Please Post info from your DCL Med excursions HERE

Barcelona Segway Tour

Just back from July 7/07 -have ???? - will try and answer

6/6/07 med report...long

Just back from the July 7th Med Cruise... (m)

Barcelona Hotel Reviews/Questions (all in one post):

Doing Med ports on Own questions

June 27, 2007 Med Cruise Report

Med Ports on our Own (long)

June 27th Mediterranean Trip Report Part 1

Blogging the June 16th Mediterranean Cruise (until we can't type anymore!)

Blogging the June 16th Mediterranean Cruise (until we can't type anymore!)

If You are flying back from the med on Iberia READ THIS!!

Magic to The Med Report VERY LONG

June 16th Med Cruise Report

my first cruise/ trip to the med**back home, pic on blog**

Back from June 16 Med Cruise

**LIVE** From the May 26, 2007 FIRST DCL Cruise in the MED! (5/26/07)

Hello from the Disney Magic in the Middle of the Med!

Almost Live: Naples Excursion - wow

LIVE from the Magic

Trip Report from the First Med Cruise

To the Mediterranean and Beyond! June 6 Med Cruise with 2 young boys

Photos from first Disney Med Cruise (5-26 to 6-6-07)

Pictures of Eze on Med cruise??

Med Cruise - 26 May/6 June

Tales of the Transatlantic (Photos too)

Video of Party Paradiso:new Mediterranean exclusive deck party

Tales of the Transatlantic (Photos too)

6/27 Med cruise- Sorrento/Pompeii Private tour?

6/27 Med Cruise-private tour in Florence

5.12.2007 - Live TransAtlantic Cruise Questions/Answers

Bloggers on 16 June MedHead Cruise

05.26.2007 - LIVE Mediterranean Questions/Answers

Disney Magic Arrives In Barcelona-fireworks May 24, 2007

Arrived in Barcelona for June 6 Med Sailing

Just back from EB Med cruise-happy to answer questions

Barcelona Port Information (telephones, Taxis, Shipping, Etc.)

Some thoughts on my med. excursions

May 12th 2007 Trans Atlantic Cruise
We can make this a sticky once more have added to it.

I have had a few PM's for information I have found some old posts on these boards, some has had input from others and an acknowledgement to them is made.

HEATHROW
http://www.heathrowairport.com/
UK TRAINS
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

LONDON TUBE
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2625.aspx

LONDON TO PARIS

Http://www.eurostar.com/dynamic/index.jsp

VIRGIN ATLANTIC
Http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/index.jsp;jsessionid=Be766dUM30orSOHgYjbbo4XFjWWqf Iaz4XA1HSuy4UTKIbKP9ACr!-1112292905!174843410!8001!7002

BRITISH AIRWAYS
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_gb
DISNEY UK/ LINK TO DLP

Http://www.disney.co.uk/

Port Of Dover
www.doverport.co.uk

BARCELONA HOTELS
Http://www.catalunya.co.uk/
Http://www.netpz.co.uk/hotel_spain_h...ona_hotels.htm

UP THE COAST
Http://www.apartmentspain.co.uk/blanes.htm
DCLS HOTEL (I THINK)
Http://www.grandmarinahotel.com/
SHORE TRIPS IN EUROPE IDEAS
Http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/pages/home.php
CAR HIRE SPAIN
http://www.carhireinspain.com/index.php?cID=70

TRAIN DLP TO BARCELONA
the train to Barcelona from paris is the Elipsos Here is a link to a virtual tour - you can tour each type of room. To get a detailed floorplan, click on the little floor plan shown with the tour. There is luggage space located above the corridor. Some of the rooms have a small recessed space that might hold some luggage.

http://www.elipsos.com/flash/paseo/lnkpaseo.htm

Below is links for private tours, I posted one in 2006 but deleted it and cannot find it but this one here is similar and is partly based on a post by MV_Photon who put a lot of work into it.

Barcelona
www.pepitotours.com/private-tours-barcelona.html Jose Soler
http://wwguides.com/forums/member.php?u=243
www.gobarcelona.com/
• BCNtour-taxi Armando Panedas
(34) 60-419-756 armandopanedas@vodafone.es
www.barcelonatourguides.com/ Patrick
http://www.taxiinternacional.com/eng...ernacional.htm Angie

Naples (Pompeii)

• I used www.limoinrome.com/home.htm Claudio Caponera , Fabrizio

http://driveamalfi.com/ Salvatore Lucibello, Adriano, Roberto
www.drivesorrento.com/ Nello Russo
www.seesorrento.com/chi_sono_eng.html Marcello Maresca, Eugiene, Marco
www.aptours.it/Site/default.asp?Lang=EN Alberto
www.francescomarrapese.com/excursions.htm Francesco
www.pleasantravel.com/index.htm Mariano Fiorentino
www.jackthedriver.com/ Jack, Lorenzo Bianco
www.benvenutolimos.com/ Giovanni
http://www.sorrentocardrivers.com/Si...lt.asp?Lang=EN Raffael
www.cuomonet.it/ Renato
http://aldotaxi.net/ Aldo
www.driverinrome.com …but avoid Guiliana
http://tourofitaly.com/
www.hiddenitalytours.com/ Mariano Fiorentino

ROME Train station is close to the port

The main train station in Rome is Termini. From there, take the underground (Metropolitana):

Colosseum: take Line (Linea) B to the Colosseo station. The Colosseum is across the street.

Vatican: take Line A to the Ottaviano station. It's a 15-20 minute walk.

I would recommend anyone wanting to go to the vatician to book a private tour with an official tour guide who can get you in before the opening time of 10am.

The queues are long but you jump this I was in at 8.40am.

Civitavecchia (Rome)

• I used -www.limoinrome.com/home.htm Claudio Caponera , Fabrizio

http://www.drivinguide.com/shore_excursions.htm
www.driverinrome.com/ Daniele Melaragno, Remo (his father), Pepe, Manny
http://romeinlimo.com/ Duman & Carlo
www.romelimousineservice.com/ Max Leotta
www.romecabs.com/ Stefano Costantini
www.romeconnection.com/ Marco
• Don’t miss the Scavi Tour (Vatican necropolis):http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/in...040112_en.html

La Spezia (Florence / Pisa) –Book the tower of Pisa online in advance Pre-book to Leaning Tower of Pisa (available 45 – 16 days in advance): www.opapisa.it/boxoffice/index.jsp

• I used www.papillonservice.com/ Lisa, Roberto

www.florencetour.com/ Paola Migliorni
www.abcwine.it/off shore.htm Carla Giomi
www.tuscanyinmypocket.com/ Guido
• Marcello Grandini Marcello.tourguide@tiscali.it
www.tuscanybytaxi.it/ Ricardo
www.sunflower-tours.com/services.htm Giovanni Sirabella
www.limoinrome.com/home.htm Claudio
• Giovanni Bassi - architect & urban historian G.bossi@dada.it
• Alessandro Cammilli alecamma@hotmail.com
• Pauline Priore paulinep@tin.it
• Pre-book tickets to Ufizi and Academia Galleria:www.florenceart.it/
Dial 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) 055-294-883 during the hours of 8:30 AM -6:30 PM M-F & 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time.

Villefranche (Monte Carlo / Cannes / Nice)
• I used www.dream-tours.com/layout.php?page=106&lang=us Alain, Frederic, Jean Marc

www.revelation-tours.com/cruise.html Michel LeGrand, Isoline
www.azur-guides-interpretes.com/ Sylvie DiCristo
www.riviera-prestige-tours.com/ Eva Devemy

Wow alot of info there :)

Claire ;)

Why, thank you, Andrew! How kind of you to share with everyone.

Thanks as posted above, I have had a number of PM's requests for info, I didn't do a trip report from 2007, but have posted above who I used and they all were great private tours.

I the Med I know I did the very best thing booking Private tours, for a family of four they were comparable in price against DCL tours, but superior, as they can go faster than DCL tour buses, they can go into small roads buses cant, you do not hang around for missing people, get a good seat each time, move on faster or slower as you personally wish and have a knowledgeable guide who talks to you direct and only you, and can answer your questions.

The private tour of the Vatican was the very best, and well worth it, they bring it all to life.

Booking a trip up the leaning tower of Pisa was a highlight, the same as driving down the Amalfi coast where tour buses couldn't go.

We didn't go to any of the souvenier places where tours traditionally take you, but did eat with the locals, my pizza in Naples was great.

I did post in 2007 do not do Capri! from Naples so many people after wards said to me, why didn't we listen to you, they didn't like it.

The Med to get the most out of it, needs a plan, I will look more into the Baltic if/when I get on.

Mote Carlo was great and so was Florence,

C'mon, Andrew. We're all waiting for you over on the Cruise Meet for the Baltic 7/18....Are you joining us? We need your expertise...

C'mon, Andrew. We're all waiting for you over on the Cruise Meet for the Baltic 7/18....Are you joining us? We need your expertise...

I am a little superstitious I do not like to post on a cruise meets thread before I am booked.:) Just in case...............

We were going to go for the Baltic but the price tag IS very high. I am contemplating the 11 night Med. DH and I have done a Med cruise with a lot of similar ports but many we want to return to and there are some new ports to us.

Does anyone have saved the list of the Shore Excursions (and prices) from the last Disney Med cruise. I am just interested to see how they compare with other lines, were there more kid friendly ones etc...

I have seen the navigators so can see the tour names but wondered about durations, prices and childrens options.

Mel
x

OK so I have some but not many as did the TA not the Med. Whether any of these will run as this time there isn't a night stop over in Barcelona like there was in 07 I do not know but here are the ones for Barcelona:

Aquarium & Park Guell
8:45am/11:45am
4-4.5 hours
Moderate level
$65.00 Adult or $45.00 child
Time to explore the museum and Park Guell

Barcelona & Codorniu Cellars
8:45am
5-5.5 hours
Moderate level
$59.00 Adult or $39.00 child
Includes glass of cava at the cellars and city tour

Flamenco & Tapas at Spanish Village
12:45pm
3-3.5 hours
Moderate level
$119.00 Adult or $79.00 child
Complete with flamenco show and delicious tapas

Discover Barcelona & the Spanish Village
8:00am
5-5.5 hours
Mild level
$82 Adult or $58 child
Walking tour of Barcelona including a scavenger hunt of the Spanish Village and visit to the Sagrada Familia church for 30 mins

Montserrat 1/2 day
8:15am
5-5.5 hours
Moderate level
$45.00 Adult or $35.00 child
Railway to Montseratt Monastery including free time to visit La Morenta

Montserrat full day
7:30am
8.5-9 hours
Moderate level
$129.00 Adult or $89.00 child
Railway to Montseratt Monastery plus visit to the black Virgin at La Morenta and the Sagrada Familia church as well as 1 hour siteseeing time in Barcelona

Science Museum & Maze
9:00am
5-5.5 hours
Moderate level
$75.00 Adult or $55.00 child
Visit Barcelona science museum and the Toree Sobirana Gardens

Barcelona & Tapas
9:00am
4-4.5 hours
Moderate level
$75.00 Adult or $55.00 child
Panoramic tour of Barcelona including 30 minute stop at Sagrada Familia and local tapas

Guadi & Barcelona
8:45am
4-4.5 hours
Moderate level
$49.00 Adult or $39.00 child
Scenic drive along Passeig de Gracia as well as Sagrada Familia chuch and Park Guell

Panoramic Drive through Barcelona
12:45pm
3-3.5 hours
Mild level
$42.00 Adult or $32.00 child
Panoramic drive through the city including the Spanish Village, Espana Square, Arc de Triomf, Citadel Park & Sagrada Familia church

Sorry don't have any other ports info

Hi Mel
The 2007 excursions + prices can be found on this page http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-repo-med.html. You just have to click on the port you're interested in. What date are you looking at? We are hoping to book the 11 night 7 Aug Med.
Joan

Hi Joan,

We are also looking at the 7th August sailing. I was so set in my mind that I wanted to do the Baltic but at almost $1000 more per person I am worried that we will save enough to get on board but then not be able to afford the excursions. I know on the med one there are places we have been several times so if we decided not to do an excursion at one of those ports we could enjoy a swim and use the ships facilities whereas in the Baltic it might not be warm enough to swim and make the most of a nearly empty ship!

Plus some of our party are not able to make the 18th July Baltic due to school holidays (teachers) so although we *could* do Baltic with just our own family we had been planning an extended family holiday for a while and it would be a bit sad to go without my Aunt and Uncle and cousin...

Thanks for the link, will go look.

Mel
x

PS Thanks Gismo for the Barcalona info :)

I did post in 2007 do not do Capri! from Naples so many people after wards said to me, why didn't we listen to you, they didn't like it.

Andrew, just wondering what people disliked so much about Capri, I had a holiday there as a child and loved it. We took a trip into the Blue Grotto and enjoyed mooching round the town and found it to be pretty and a really nice destination...

I have been to Pompeii twice and my kids are too little to be interested in that so IF we go with the Med instead of the Baltic I thought we might take the ferry over to Capri and spend some time there.

I would love to hear your thoughts and any cons I might not have taken into account.

Mel
x

Andrew, just wondering what people disliked so much about Capri, I had a holiday there as a child and loved it. We took a trip into the Blue Grotto and enjoyed mooching round the town and found it to be pretty and a really nice destination...

I have been to Pompeii twice and my kids are too little to be interested in that so IF we go with the Med instead of the Baltic I thought we might take the ferry over to Capri and spend some time there.

I would love to hear your thoughts and any cons I might not have taken into account.

Mel
x

People didn't like Capri? :confused3 We loved it! We took a ferry over and spent the day in town. Thought it was just beautiful. We went over early and noticed as we were leaving the island that the masses were just arriving (lots and lots of tour groups). I would definitely go back.

Here are our pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Grinold/Capri#

Mel
x

People didn't like Capri? :confused3 We loved it! We took a ferry over and spent the day in town. Thought it was just beautiful. We went over early and noticed as we were leaving the island that the masses were just arriving (lots and lots of tour groups). I would definitely go back.

Here are our pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Grinold/Capri#

Previous to the cruise I stayed in Sorrento for two weeks and on one day had a trip to Capri, we went over on small boats that bumped in the water and didnt have good restroom facilities.

After a choppy trip you went are crowded into a hill train and then around small crowded lanes of shops the island itself is very small.

So I didnt like it and posted so on the old 28th July thread for 07, some still went but a lot told me after on ship and by posts later that they wished they had taken my advice, some we met in Sorrento in the afternoon and had just been there and came back early to Sorrento and met up with us.

Anyone who did the med last time with kids - AND did a trip report? I'd love to see it. Mostly I'm interested in any kid friendly excursions. At the announcement they showed some video of what looked like "Adventures by Disney" types of excursions - I saw a pizza making or some such thing -- and I'm curious as to if Disney does these in some of the Med Ports. Would love to have a mix of history and fun for the kids. Anyone?

I am also very interested in what the more child orientated excursions were like.

Mel
x

Truthfully, we did not do any of the kid-friendly tours. My kids had a blast. In fact we met another family onboard and most of our days were spent with them. My kids were 6 and 9 at the time of the cruise.

I did try and mix up our tours with half day tours and full day tours. The adults sitting at the table next to us did mostly all day tours so, they saw more than we did. With 4 sea days this time in Baltics I'm gonna aim for all day tours just because I thought they were more valuable.

I think, with Adventures by Disney they would have to have kid friendly tours in order to keep the kids happy. Where on DCL you don't have to do them as you return to the ship every evening.

My kids LOVED Pompeii, PISA, Rome & Villefranche Ports. They weren't too excited about some of the half day tours we did were we visited churches, etc... Florence was boring as it was a VERY long bus ride for them and the guide we had WAS HORRIBLE. She did not allow anyone to speak because she felt it was rude to talk while she was talking. We had to focus on her the whole trip. She wouldn't let people skip lunch to tour on their own. All the other tour guides were very FLEXIBLE. Like for our ROME tour it did not include the Steps (I can't think of the name of it). Anyways... many of us left at one point when the tour guide told us to and took a cab to the steps and fountains and then, met everyone for lunch. Lunches were 2 to 3 hours long so, it was pretty easy to do a quick tour of something.

DCL also provided each evening a little booklet about the next port. So, the kids could read about it every evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!