Transport from MCO with powerchair

ellataylor

Mouseketeer
Hi,
Has anyone had any experience with ordering an UBER or Lyft from MCO for 2 people, luggage and a powerchair? Am wondering if the XLs that fit 6 people will accommodate my chair or it would be safer to just book Mears Connect.

How heavy is the chair? Would you have someone who could lift and store it in the vehicle? Some drivers won't do it for various reasons. Mears might be a safer bet.

If you are talking about a powerchair like a Permobil or a Quantum, you would need an Uber WAV vehicle. Uber does not offer WAV in Otlando. A wheelchair-accessible taxi would likely meet your needs. They are available from Mears. Rates are the same as non-accessible taxis. Mears also offers private shuttles that are accessible.

Last edited:
Do you have any information on the private shuttle or what worked for you? Similar situation but for family of 5 with 1 wheelchair (quadriplegic). Would love to hear what you learned and / or worked out best for you please!

Do you have any information on the private shuttle or what worked for you? Similar situation but for family of 5 with 1 wheelchair (quadriplegic). Would love to hear what you learned and / or worked out best for you please!
Again, options differ based on your equipment/ability to transfer. If the equipment user cannot transfer and/or the equipment is not "portable" (eg, breaks into pieces 50 pounds or less and/or is foldable), you need a vehicle that has a lift or ramp. Providers of these services in Orlando include accessible taxis (Mears plus a couple of others), private transfers (Mears, mostly), and buses (Mears, mostly).

If the individual can transfer to a "regular" car or SUV seat, more options are available, including ride shares, most taxis, all buses, and most private drivers (Again, in Orlando)

All, or nearly all Disney buses are wheelchair accessible. The Skyliner is accessible. Most boats are accessible. If a particular boat on a route is NOT accessible, the next one (20-30 minutes, usually) will be. Accessible transportation is a big reason for wheelchair users to stay on property.

Transportation options in other areas is different.

Last edited:
Thank you. Looking to keep family together and not having to transfer out of wheelchair I think Mears is our best option

Pre-Covid-19, I have used the Mears bus, Mears accessible taxi and Mears accessible shuttle while remaining seated in my power wheelchair. All three were relatively straight forward. However, I had one taxi driver who was sketchy at best, tried to have me pay the fare on his meter which was significantly more than the set rate I had prepaid. I was going to an off-site resort on a non-Disney trip. The doorman came over, intervened and sent the driver off without a tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter