Transportation Options from Disney to Universal/IOA

Cdn Friends of Pooh

DIS Veteran
This thread is 8 years old and has not been updated by the diser that started it.

I have gone through and corrected some of the costs that was listed years back, to present costs.

It now appears that I need to replace this sticky over the next few weeks with a new sticky with current costs involved.

Trying to update all information has become very time consuming for me.
If you are interested in creating an updated transportation informational thread, send me a pm.

The new thread can include transportations ways from the airports to Universal, Disney to Universal, Universal to Port, car rentals, taxi, uber, etc.

I will not delete this thead but unsticky it so it will eventually fall off the front page.

Anyone will be able to still read it but remember to look at the dates information was listed if you are using it to guide you for transportation information.
2/26/18

1. Rent a car

If you are staying at a Disney resort, the easiest option is to rent a car from the Walt Disney World Car Care Center, which is operated by Alamo and National. The Car Care Center offers a shuttle that will pick you up from any Disney hotel and take you to the Center to pick up your car. The shuttle will also drop you off at your Disney hotel after you return your car. If you wish, call the Car Care Center up to 24 hours in advance and arrange for them to send a shuttle for you. Alternatively, go to the front desk of your Disney resort about 30 minutes before your pickup time and ask them to call the Car Care Center shuttle. The phone number of the Car Care Center is (407) 824-3470.

Another location is at the Dolphin Hotel. From any of the theme parks or Downtown Disney, take a Disney bus to the Dolphin. The Alamo/National office at the Dolphin keeps short hours, but you can drop off your car to the hotel's valets after hours. The phone number of Dolphin's Alamo/National desk is (407) 934-4930.

Yet another location is Buena Vista Palace near Downtown Disney. Take a Disney bus from any of the Disney resorts to Downtown Disney. Get off at the Marketplace stop, then walk across the street to Buena Vista Palace. The phone number of Buena Vista Palace's Alamo/National desk is (407) 827-6363.

Avis, Dollar and Budget also have locations near Downtown Disney.

Remember...if you are renting a car you will also have to pay for parking at Universal - currently the charge per car is $20.00.

2. Book a ride with Mears shuttle

Mears runs shuttles from the Disney hotels to Universal and back. You will need to make arrangements 24 hours prior though. Prices are $34 each person RT. You can check out the website for more information:
www.mearstransportation.com

Does the cost per person include children no matter what their age?
When you book a shuttle, children under 3 are free and children 4-11 pay a child's rate of $27 . Anyone over 12 pays the adult rate of $34/pp. rt

Can I book my attraction transportation online?
No, you will need to call them 24 hours in advance at (407) 423-5566, that is unless you are already using them for transportation to and from the airport then you can book the attraction portion online at the same time.

3. Taxi Cab

Taxis/cabs are usually available outside most resort entrances, or you can have the front desk or valet parking staff at your hotel call a taxi for you. To get a general idea of what it will cost for a taxi, you can use the Taxi Fare Estimator offered by Mears Transportation.
Taxis can run $35 -40.

Where can I catch a cab/taxi at Universal to return to my hotel?
There are taxis waiting at Universal - Universal does have a taxi lane, so you can easily catch a taxi right outside of Universal Studios to get back to your resort.

If there are more than 4 people then the cab option is a no go right?
Mears taxis have a capacity of 5 people, if more than 5 people in your group, they have vans available for up to 7 people.

4. Public Transportation - Lynx Bus

It's strongly suggested that you not take public transit. Yes it's cheap but it takes about two hours to get from Disney to Universal using Lynx. So...if you care how much time you spend in the parks, I would suggest Mears or a cab.

Happy Travels!! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the tips :thumbsup2

We are renting a car from the CCC and then driving to PBH. Do you recomment Map Quest for driving directions from WDW to PBH?

Thanks!

3. Taxi Cab
Taxis/cabs are usually available outside most resort entrances, or you can have the front desk or valet parking staff at your hotel call a taxi for you. To get a general idea of what it will cost for a taxi, you can use the Taxi Fare Estimator offered by Mears Transportation.

How long will it take to get from Harry Potter/US to Ft. WIlderness? FOr a 7:30 sleigh ride and 9:30 Hoop Dee Doo...

How long will it take to get from Harry Potter/US to Ft. WIlderness? FOr a 7:30 sleigh ride and 9:30 Hoop Dee Doo...
Normally it would take 30-40 minutes or so depending on traffic but you should allow an hour to make sure you make it in time and for any delays.

Excellent information!! That is why I love these boards!! Looks like 18 miles and $35 - $40.

Now a dumb question... Will the cab take us from Universal to Ft. Wilderness? Do we arrange it ahead of time... I just don't know if they are waiting at Universal... I looked around the Mears site and wasn't able to find an answer!! I just want to know when I need to leave US to get to the sleigh ride and convince my DH that it is doable between US and Hoop Dee Doo!!

Correct me if I am wrong but if there are more than 4 ppl then the cab option is a no go right? Another dumb question--- the $18 per person does that include children no matter what their age?

Excellent information!! That is why I love these boards!! Looks like 18 miles and $35 - $40.

Now a dumb question... Will the cab take us from Universal to Ft. Wilderness? Do we arrange it ahead of time... I just don't know if they are waiting at Universal... I looked around the Mears site and wasn't able to find an answer!! I just want to know when I need to leave US to get to the sleigh ride and convince my DH that it is doable between US and Hoop Dee Doo!!
Yes there are taxis waiting at Universal - Universal does have a taxi lane, so you can easily catch a taxi right outside of Universal Studios to get back to your resort.

Correct me if I am wrong but if there are more than 4 ppl then the cab option is a no go right?
Mears taxis have a capacity of 5 people, if more than 5 people in your group, they have vans available for up to 7 people. When you book a shuttle, I believe children under 3 are free and children 4-11 pay a child's rate. Anyone over 12 pays the adult rate

I would personally recommend Google maps instead of MapQuest - while it's still OK, it needs a major overhaul to compete with most of the newer online maps. What I like about Google maps is you can switch to satellite view, and in most locations street view, which gives you a good idea of the landmarks on your route. There is also an option for choosing "avoid toll" routes :thumbsup2

Bonny

THanks so much!!!!:love:

My mom and I are taking the MEARS shuttle in the AM to Universal the day after we arrive at Disney. I am so excited to visit Universal for the first time in over 12 years. We are both going to make the most of the 1 day trip.

Let's hope lots of people will find this thread helpful. :thumbsup2

I am visiting Orlando in August. Staying at Disney and then would like to check out and go to Universal for 1 day. Never been. I would have to rent a car so I can drive to Universal and get to the airport a day later unless there is a shuttle between the parks and then to the Airport from Universal. How far are the hotels or do Universal have a hotel on property like Disney? With a 6 year old will I have time or even want to go to both Universal Parks? What is Adventure Island? Lastly hwo far is Universal from the Airport, closer or further than Disney? Thanks!:woohoo:

I am visiting Orlando in August. Staying at Disney and then would like to check out and go to Universal for 1 day. Never been. I would have to rent a car so I can drive to Universal and get to the airport a day later unless there is a shuttle between the parks and then to the Airport from Universal. How far are the hotels or do Universal have a hotel on property like Disney? With a 6 year old will I have time or even want to go to both Universal Parks? What is Adventure Island? Lastly hwo far is Universal from the Airport, closer or further than Disney? Thanks!:woohoo:

Yes, Universal have on-site hotels that are within walking distance of the park. These on-site hotels offer things like free express pass, which means you don't have to wait in the regular line.

You may be able to do both parks with a 6 year old, but I would start with Studios and move to IOA if you have time. Studios has more for young kids. IOA has water rides, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, and Seuss land for a 6 year old. If you stay onsite and get express, you can definitely do both parks in one day, especially since you will be skipping the more intense rides.

I think you mean IOA (Islands of Adventure) when you say Adventure Island. It is the more thrilling of the two parks. Has more roller coaster and more intense rides. Studios is less intense and has things like the Twister, Shrek, Jummy Neutron, ET, etc.

There should be transportation options from Universal to the airport, I would call the hotels and ask them what those options are. Also, I would say Universal is either the same distance from the airport as Disney or even closer than Disney.

Can someone give me a little more details on the shuttle from WDW areas to Universal? We have never been to Universal. DH and I would like to go to Margaritaville at US when we're there next week. We would need to get probably from Saratoga Springs to US/Margaritaville. Are there shuttles that come at specified/scheduled times? Or do we need to request a shuttle??? Or would we need to just take a taxi? Taking a taxi appears it would cost us about double the cost of a shuttle.

Where exactly does a taxi drop you off at Universal?

I am planning a trip to Universal by myself. I am handicapped by degenerative arthritis. I can walk but not too far. I am unable to do the walk from the Universal parking garage to the park entrances where I will rent a scooter. So I am looking for the closest area to be dropped off that will have the least amount of walking.

I can either have a friend drop me off at Universal or I can take a taxi. Which option would put me closer to the park entrances?

And where exactly are these drop-off points so I can look them up on Google Street view maps.

Now that you've decided to check out Universal Studios/IOA, how do you get there if you are staying on-site at Disney? Don't worry, you have a few options:

1. Rent a car

Remember...if you are renting a car you will also have to pay for parking at Universal.

Can someone give me a little more details on the shuttle from WDW areas to Universal? We have never been to Universal. DH and I would like to go to Margaritaville at US when we're there next week. We would need to get probably from Saratoga Springs to US/Margaritaville. Are there shuttles that come at specified/scheduled times? Or do we need to request a shuttle??? Or would we need to just take a taxi? Taking a taxi appears it would cost us about double the cost of a shuttle.
When you book a shuttle, you would need to call 24 hours in advance, and specify your pickup time/return time.

Where exactly does a taxi drop you off at Universal?

I am planning a trip to Universal by myself. I am handicapped by degenerative arthritis. I can walk but not too far. I am unable to do the walk from the Universal parking garage to the park entrances where I will rent a scooter. So I am looking for the closest area to be dropped off that will have the least amount of walking.

I can either have a friend drop me off at Universal or I can take a taxi. Which option would put me closer to the park entrances?

And where exactly are these drop-off points so I can look them up on Google Street view maps.
The passenger drop off area is near CityWalk just across Universal Boulevard from the Valet Parking area (make a left where the buses and taxis go) - there is signage and its pretty easy to find - your friend can pick up and drop off there.

Anyone sure how to get there using the Lynx?
You don't want to consider that option. Yes it's cheap but it takes about two hours to get from Disney to Universal using Lynx. So...if you care how much time you spend in the parks, I would suggest Mears or a cab.

Okay, where are you finding the information regarding the Mears Shuttle (option #2)? I can only find the shared ride option from the airport to area hotels on Mears' site. There is nothing on there to link Disney Hotels with Universal. I'm interested in a round trip from Beach Club to IOA. Thanks very much.

Okay, where are you finding the information regarding the Mears Shuttle (option #2)? I can only find the shared ride option from the airport to area hotels on Mears' site. There is nothing on there to link Disney Hotels with Universal. I'm interested in a round trip from Beach Club to IOA. Thanks very much.

You need to call them 24 hours in advance at (407) 423-5566. I don't believe you can book online (unless you are already using them for transportation to and from the airport then you can book the attraction portion online at the same time).

When using the taxi from Disney to Univer, am I correct to assume that there is a drop off area at the Royal Poly? I was originally planning on renting a car from Contemp Resort to Royal Poly (staying 3 days) and then returning the car at the airport but now thinking of the taxi option since we actually won't be using the car while at Univers. Just want to be sure that there is a drop off at the resort and won't be lugging luggage from some place far away. I'm also assuming we'd be able to get a taxi early in the morning to get to the airport for a 645 am flight?

Thanks,
Ho'okani

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!