Transportation options to Universal?

Parrotheader

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are thinking about going back down to WDW some time next year and camping looks like it will be the best option right now. It's by far the least expensive accommodations available, we could bring our dog, we could save on meals by eating at the campground some and most importantly, my parents are about to buy a brand new motorhome which they're already pushing on us to borrow :D I think they're hoping little getaways for two might help lead to some grandchildren for them.

In the 5 times I've been to WDW, we've camped 4 of those times and always had a blast. But back then, my family always had a pop-up trailer or some extra transportation with their motorhome. If it's just my wife and me, I'd rather not bother with moving the motorhome once we're settled in or tow a car just to go to Universal for one day. Going to Universal would be the only time we'd hopefully ever need to leave WDW and I'd rather not put Universal on the beginning or end, because it's nice when you go during the middle of the week to offer a little break from nonstop Disney. We'll gladly use Disney's transportation the rest of the time.

I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to possibly get a taxi or towncar service. Maybe even a rental car for one day wouldn't be bad. But are there any other transportation options I'm overlooking? I tried to use the search feature, but it was always down.

No other options. Your best bet is either a towncar service (I recommend Tiffany Towncar or FLTours) or just calling a cab. :D

Thanks Rhonda. I just wanted to doublecheck in case there was a third party bus or something else I might have overlooked.

Looks like I could get a roundtrip towncar ride for about $55 plus tip. I also remembered the National Car Rental has an office at the Dolphin resort and it looks like I get a car for about $40-$50 for the day (mmmmm . . . convertible.)

The downside renting a car for 1 day is the pick-up/drop-off times of the rental. It would have to be done in the hours that the rental office is open, and could cut heavily into your theme park time for the day.

Since there are only 2 of you, I think (could be wrong) that Mears shuttle service is the least expensive option. (Other than the Lynx city bus service - less that $5 per person - but would take a LONG time - have to change busses once or twice - like rental, pick-up times are limited - and not my idea of a good vacation travel option.)

If your not too concerned with the few extra $, then the best option is one of the towncar services.

Actually the pickup time would be the only time that would bite into our day. That's IF we used National Car rental (they have 2 rental areas withing WDW.) According to their site, the pickup time would have to be when the office is open; the car doesn't run well without keys after all. ;) But when we dropped the car off, the site said it wouldn't matter whether the office is open as they must have a key drop off and you pay for everything in advance anyway.

The most attractive aspect to a rental car would probably be that we could make a quick run to a grocery store if needed or eat dinner at a restaurant off WDW grounds (although I've heard town car services will also make quick grocery store runs.) The downside to a rental car is that I'd actually have to drive. I love driving and I have a fantastic sense of direction. But I don't mind telling you that with WDW's psuedo-interstate system and confusing signs, coupled with Orlando's own traffic doesn't exactly sound appealing to me on vacation. Oh well. At least I know I have a couple of decent options. Thanks all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter