Transportation

OnePrincessMom

Mouseketeer
Will be participating in first Run Disney event. It looks like races start/end at Epcot. If we stay at boardwalk area will Epcot be open to walk through that early? If staying on skyline route will that be running early? Can Uber get through or are roads closed except for busses? I guess my question is whether bus is the only option? Thanks!!

You cannot walk to the start. You can only walk back through Epcot at the finish IF it’s open when you finish and IF you have a ticket (and if you were planning on a different park that day the ticket needs to be a hopper).

I don’t think the skyliner goes to the front of Epcot, so I doubt you can take that.

Even the monorail is only open in the morning for Half distances for those staying at monorail resorts...

Yes you can drive&park, take a taxi or rideshare.

I don't know why the buses get such a bad rap. :confused3

I've used them to get to the start of 9 races, the monorail I've used once. The buses I got to sit, the monorail was standing room only (before a marathon.) The rundisney buses get their own lanes, so they don't get snarled in traffic like other options do. I did have a bus driver get lost once, but it only took us an extra 8 minutes to get to the start.

And you can either zone out or talk with other excited runners!

I don't know why the buses get such a bad rap. :confused3

I've used them to get to the start of 9 races, the monorail I've used once. The buses I got to sit, the monorail was standing room only (before a marathon.) The rundisney buses get their own lanes, so they don't get snarled in traffic like other options do. I did have a bus driver get lost once, but it only took us an extra 8 minutes to get to the start.

And you can either zone out or talk with other excited runners!
I think the frequency of buses getting lost or going wrong ways is what scares people.

My experience was that we got back on course pretty quickly when it happened, though. Personally, I'd be more worried about the Skyliner breaking down....
Anyform of transportation has issues. Nothing is perfect. I still take the buses but they have their issues too. That’s why people worry about it.

Just did the Wine and Dine races at the start of this month, staying at Pop. Admittedly the Skyliner was running with reduced hours, but there were signs around saying that the Skyliner would not be available for the races.

I found the buses from Pop very good for all 3 races (5k/10k/half) both going to and from the races - minimal wait and many buses. They were dire for going to the Expo though!

I found the buses from Pop very good for all 3 races (5k/10k/half) both going to and from the races - minimal wait and many buses. They were dire for going to the Expo though!

And that's saying something since POP is right across the street from the ESPN center. Getting to the expo, if you have a limited amount of time or don't want to waste it waiting around for a bus, is when I reccomend taking an uber.

And that's saying something since POP is right across the street from the ESPN center. Getting to the expo, if you have a limited amount of time or don't want to waste it waiting around for a bus, is when I reccomend taking an uber.

Yeah the buses were just absolutely dire for the Expo! If I don't remember my times wrongly, at W&D I got to the Pop bus stop for ESPN around 9.30am on first day of Expo (Expo opening at 10am), and it was stretching all the way back out of the queue and into the road. People around me were speculating that they might maybe get on the 3rd bus. After about 5 minutes I gave up and got an Uber to ESPN. As I left the queue a bus pulled up, but apparently there were already people on board (think it might have shared with AoA), so I think I might have been in for a pretty long wait if I had stayed in the bus queue.

Yeah the buses were just absolutely dire for the Expo! If I don't remember my times wrongly, at W&D I got to the Pop bus stop for ESPN around 9.30am on first day of Expo (Expo opening at 10am), and it was stretching all the way back out of the queue and into the road. People around me were speculating that they might maybe get on the 3rd bus. After about 5 minutes I gave up and got an Uber to ESPN. As I left the queue a bus pulled up, but apparently there were already people on board (think it might have shared with AoA), so I think I might have been in for a pretty long wait if I had stayed in the bus queue.

I don't think your experience there was typical for the majority of the Expo busing. The first buses on the first day of the Expos are far and away the worst, as people try to rush to be first in line to get merchandise. Outside of that initial rush, it's been rare to see more than a few people standing and waiting for the next Expo bus to come by. After a couple of experiences, I've made it a point to hit the Expo later in the afternoon of the opening day or even on subsequent days, if I'm not running all the races and crowding/waiting hasn't been an issue. I'd agree, if someone is absolutely set on getting to an Expo opening early, Uber is probably a better bet. Otherwise, the buses are fine.

I don't think your experience there was typical for the majority of the Expo busing. The first buses on the first day of the Expos are far and away the worst, as people try to rush to be first in line to get merchandise. Outside of that initial rush, it's been rare to see more than a few people standing and waiting for the next Expo bus to come by. After a couple of experiences, I've made it a point to hit the Expo later in the afternoon of the opening day or even on subsequent days, if I'm not running all the races and crowding/waiting hasn't been an issue. I'd agree, if someone is absolutely set on getting to an Expo opening early, Uber is probably a better bet. Otherwise, the buses are fine.
Yes, I have learned that getting to the Expo is one thing you shouldn't rope drop.

Unfortunately for me, the only advice I ever saw from stalking forums/FB groups was to get to the Expo for opening before all the merch is gone, and never saw any advice about how dire the bus transport is when trying to do this! If I had known that they were typically dire at that time I would have gone for other transport options instead of relying on runDisney transport.

Thankfully transport for the rest of the run weekend was pretty good, but I must admit after that Expo experience I did worry for a while about getting to/from the race venues using runDisney transportation...

(For reference - my previous sole runDisney experience was at DLP, where the (very small) Expo is within walking distance of the parks, the Marne La Vallee train station, and my off-site hotel, so I've never had to deal with runDisney bus transportation before!)

I was taking a look at the transportation schedule for the upcoming marathon weekend. I see that there are buses from the expo to Disney Springs, but no transport to half/full marathon start from Disney Springs.

I am staying in a Disney good neighbor hotel and was wondering thoughts on getting to the race.

Thanks!

I was taking a look at the transportation schedule for the upcoming marathon weekend. I see that there are buses from the expo to Disney Springs, but no transport to half/full marathon start from Disney Springs.

I am staying in a Disney good neighbor hotel and was wondering thoughts on getting to the race.

Thanks!
Correct no buses from Disney springs to races. They only do this for the expo.

Will be participating in first Run Disney event. It looks like races start/end at Epcot. If we stay at boardwalk area will Epcot be open to walk through that early? If staying on skyline route will that be running early? Can Uber get through or are roads closed except for busses? I guess my question is whether bus is the only option? Thanks!!

I have stayed at Boardwalk for every Disney race and never had an issue with the buses :knock wood:. I do try to get down to the pick-up 10 minutes or so before the first bus (usually there are one or two sitting there and you can board and sit while you wait to leave). It's a very short trip over and I'm usually there early enough to get into a character line or two. By getting on the first bus, you allow for issues like a lost driver.

Going back, the Boardwalk is the last stop on the loop, but you can get off at the Swan/Dolphin stop, cross through the lobby and out the back, over the bridge and be at Boardwalk before the bus loop would get there. And as others have said, if you have a ticket and Epcot is open, you CAN cut through Epcot to return, though it's quite a hike depending how long you've already been on your feet.

I don't know why the buses get such a bad rap.

I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoy the bus ride to the start.
I'm not driving, it gives me a chance to meet other runners (if they're not playing with their phone), and it's reminiscent of the long-ago high school bus ride to an away game.

This plan has worked pretty well for the expo: we arrive early afternoon. On the way in, DW drops me off at the expo (really close) and then proceeds to the resort and checks in. I take the bus from the expo to the resort. This allows me to spend as much or as little time as I want at the expo and avoid moving 800 pounds of stuff from the car to the room. Of course, this only works if you have a non-runner with you.

Thanks!

It's a bit of a hike (~1 mile) but you could walk/jog over to Saratoga for race day buses if you are wanting to avoid the additional cost of Uber/Lyft.

It's a bit of a hike (~1 mile) but you could walk/jog over to Saratoga for race day buses if you are wanting to avoid the additional cost of Uber/Lyft.
Were you thinking this bus stop?

I think I can manage that at 3:00am....no guarantees that I will make it up and down those stairs on the overpass after the race though.

will there be any locked gates keeping me from walking this path at that hour?

Last edited:
@shellott-hill

Just about, but the RunDisney buses pickup near the Carriage House/Front Desk. I also would not recommend taking that wooded path you first encounter when coming from Disney Springs, at least not when it is dark out. Lovely little path for strolling through on a sunny day but it is not lit and has some tree roots/uneven surfaces.

You would be better off sticking to the much better lit sidewalks and just keep following the water until you hit the pool back there. From there you have a little further to go from Congress Park but it is a pretty straight shot to where the actual pick-up/drop-off location is at Saratoga. As to locked gates, there should not be in Disney Springs but I do not know for the overpass. Given the hour in the morning though, you should be able to follow the path to the intersection for the bus stop and cross there if worst came to worst.

Was the runDisney bus drop-off this morning the same area where the normal theme park buses go for pick-up and drop-off to Disney resorts?

My wife is trying to figure out so she can take the later bus to the finish line from Saratoga Springs (Congress Park) bus stop (for Sat and Sun).

Thanks in advance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter