Travel essentials for 15 months

Ashley14598

Earning My Ears
We have learned a lot by reading these boards I just have a couple questions regarding the best ways to get around WDW with our LO. It will be myself, my husband, and our will be 15 month old. We are staying at AoA and flying in early Monday morning, going to the parks 2 days (1/2 day at DHS and 1/2 day at MK), and the other day at MK all day. We are using a rest day for Chef Mickeys. We checkout on Friday.

Here’s what we are wondering...
1. We are trying to decide between our Chico Bravo stroller that folds up pretty small and is lighter of the 2 options. The other option is our Graco fastaction jogging stroller it’s obviously bigger and heavier but way more comfortable for LO. We are leaning towards the Chicco one.

2. Do we need to take our carrier? We never use it at home anymore in what instances would it be worth having? I can’t imagine carrying him in the July Florida heat.

3. What are your other must haves for taking a child this age? We have all the food ideas such as snacks, lolipops, etc. we are also planning to take extra clothes and even swim clothes into the parks for the splash pad.

Thanks for any advice!

We used to travel w/ our kids to WDW a lot when they were little (now 12yo & almost 17yo).

Use a car seat on the plane...it makes the flight SO much easier for parents and baby, and is safer! My eldest would fall asleep from the hum of the engines before the plane even took off and sleep until we landed!

I would bring the larger, more comfortable stroller. Plan on a grocery bag under the stroller w/ extra diapers, wipes, snacks (nothing expensive)...then keep 1 or 2 diapers and travel wipes in your diaper bag (we found a backpack worked best) and replenish from the bottom of the stroller. This way you are carrying less. When you have to fold everything up, just grab the grocery bag w/o having to unpack everything individually and go. It took us a few trips with the first kid to figure this out!

Definitely bring the carrier. You cannot use the stroller in lines or in the Land Pavilion so the carrier is helpful in those circumstances as well as napping. My younger one wouldn't nap for long in the stroller at WDW, but would nap for hours in the carrier. It is a great time to check out Monster's Laugh Floor, Muppets 3D, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, etc. :-)

If your little one is mobile, I would look into a harness of some sort. My younger one used a stuffed animal backpack one that worked well. FWIW, my eldest didn't need it at all (we took one just in case for her first trip at 2yo) but my younger one was a bolter and he wore that monkey backpack all over WDW. He was happy to be able to roam a bit and we were thrilled that we never had to run after him!

...and if your little one is heavily into finger foods, I would invest in a pack of disposable toddler place mats (they were called Table Toppers when my kids were small). Lets them eat off the table w/o having to worry about the mess or germs.

Last edited:

We've been to Disney World twice with toddlers. (1st trip, our older child was 14 months, 2nd trip our children were 3.75 and 20 months). We have a Chicco Liteway, (which we brought on our first trip) which has always been fine for our children. They've never seemed uncomfortable. So I don't think you need a big, bulky stroller. Remember you'll be pushing it all day long. You don't want to be pushing something heavy.

We never use a carrier and did fine without one at Disney. The only time you might want it is while waiting in a long line, since you can't bring strollers in line, or if your child gets tired of the stroller. I had to carry my 20 month old in my arms sometimes because after a while he would refuse to sit. Still, I don't think a carrier is necessary unless you really like using it.

Bring a stroller cover for the rain! We didn't think of this, and our stroller got soaked each day and mildewy. It smelled gross. Also bring waterproof sandals and a toddler sized poncho for your child. It rained so much when we were there, and these were used everyday. We also brought disposable bibs and placemats, insulated stainless steel water bottles for everyone, and large trash bags to cover changing tables (changing my kids on the bare tables grosses me out). Don't forget a sun hat for your kid (we forgot) and sunscreen.

We have learned a lot by reading these boards I just have a couple questions regarding the best ways to get around WDW with our LO. It will be myself, my husband, and our will be 15 month old. We are staying at AoA and flying in early Monday morning, going to the parks 2 days (1/2 day at DHS and 1/2 day at MK), and the other day at MK all day. We are using a rest day for Chef Mickeys. We checkout on Friday.

1. We are trying to decide between our Chico Bravo stroller that folds up pretty small and is lighter of the 2 options. The other option is our Graco fastaction jogging stroller it’s obviously bigger and heavier but way more comfortable for LO. We are leaning towards the Chicco one.

2. Do we need to take our carrier? We never use it at home anymore in what instances would it be worth having? I can’t imagine carrying him in the July Florida heat.

3. What are your other must haves for taking a child this age? We have all the food ideas such as snacks, lolipops, etc. we are also planning to take extra clothes and even swim clothes into the parks for the splash pad.

Thanks for any advice!

1.Your trip is for 5 days, you are flying, and staying at a resort with bus transport; I'd take the Chico Bravo.

2. You no longer use the carrier much and already noted the heat factor thus I can't think of a need for the carrier either unless it can also be used on the plane(?):).

3. Feed your LO the same types of food you would at home. I'm sure you will all be fine.

Have a fun trip.

2. You no longer use the carrier much and already noted the heat factor thus I can't think of a need for the carrier either unless it can also be used on the plane(?):).

You are not allowed to use the carrier on the airplane, it isn't FAA approved. The only approved items are a car seat or a CARES harness (too big for a 15mo).

Make sure it is a carrier designed to accommodate larger kids like a Ergo or something similar. We used our carrier at WDW until our youngest was 2+yo.

Okay thanks! Looks like I’m on the right page with the “smaller” stroller and no carrier :)

I've travelled there with my kids twice in the last 2.5 years. First trip my daughter was 2.5 and son was 8 months. Then next it was 4 and 2.5 and a preggo wife!

Quick advice:
1) Get a sturdy light weight umbrella stroller that can hang a backpack from. Don't get anything bulky. It's a nightmare with the buses. BONUS if it can recline for naps.
2) Use a backpack not a shoulder strap bag to hold all your normal infant/toddler stuff (diapers etc.). Your back will thank me later.
3) Plan your day around breaks. Whether they are character meals or relaxing for a parade. Don't do too much.

Any other advice I can give is posted everywhere that you can find.

We have gone to disney world four times with our Chicco Bravo stroller. It is perfect! So easy to fold and unfold at the airplane gate and on the DCL busses, very maneuverable, and has a great shady cover to keep out the florida sun. We never used a carrier, just pulled up the stroller to the stroller parking and carried our little one onto the ride. We used rope drop and fastpass to avoid long lines.

A rain cover is essential, as a pp mentioned.
Another thing we found useful were stroller clips that attach to the handlebar to hang the diaper bag, so we didn't have to carry the bag with us on rides (though obviously, do not leave any valuables in it if you leave it with the stroller).
My last suggestion is bring a sippy/straw cup from home. We brought a big insulated water bottle one time thinking we would all share, but little guy got so hot he hogged it and held it with him in his stroller, and cried if we took it away to take a sip, so we had to buy a bunch of bottled water for mom and dad ;)

A stroller fan! By far the best money we spent. Ours was $20 on Amazon and was rechargeable off of USB. Since we returned home, we’ve found numerous uses this summer in the heat at ballgames, pool parties, camping, etc.

On the carrier, I'd keep in mind how your little one does with holding hands and obeying directions (tricky with even the BEST of 15 month olds). If he's a "runner", I'd for sure bring an Ergo or something similar for lines. We did Disneyland when my son was almost 1 and he was pretty average on weight at that point. It was not an issue on our backs at all (ha! And I was very pregnant at the time and carrying him sometimes, so I am 100% a believer in the Ergo!) and we used it quite a bit, including wearing him ON several rides, including Pirates and Haunted Mansion. He was in the Ergo for most lines, because he was too tiny (short) to hold our hand for long periods of time, or to stand in line without getting tired. We did the back carry quite a bit.

We're planning a trip to Disney World for this coming Spring and we'll have a 4.5, 2.5 and 18 month old. Still planning on bringing the Ergo, because our youngest is petite and I think it'll really help for lines.

Thanks for any advice!

Not sure on the strollers these days as my youngest is 12 but I would go with the lightweight one. I had a medium sized one that I took years ago and it was great. It wasn't as big as the then travel system and it wasn't as small as the Jeep umbrella one that we had. It was easy to close, had a tray, basket, sunshade and CUP HOLDERS for the adults. My choice-lighter stroller with the options in the previous sentence.

I would not want to carry a 15 month old around Disney. I would be drenched! Does he walk? When my oldest was 15 months old she pushed her stroller around the countries, her choice. She was never a big stroller kid and would prefer to move on her own so we would let her do that just to burn off energy and we walked at her pace. My choice would be stroller and let him walk too.

I brought a bunch of toys when my dd was 15 months, they were never touched. We went to the parks early, came back and she napped and then we showered and returned to the park. Rest days were at the pool and I don't know what we did with an afternoon nap on that trip. I might of stayed at the pool while dh and her napped in the room. But snacks, drinks, I even brought zip lock bags since my older 2 were not big eaters so they would have leftovers for their next meal. Lysol wipes to wipe down the table/high chair. I used table toppers for the table as well (not sure if they still make those). I didn't bring a change of clothes since they didn't get wet until right before we left the park mid day or even dirty from lunch but we left right after that (they are clean eaters too). And if they were soaked, I just changed their diaper and they wore wet clothes and were fine with it. DH and I are lucky, our kids are good, they didn't try to run away, and were content in the lines just looking around but that is when we offered snacks. They didn't have electronics to watch. Now they are 17, 14 and 12 and I am sure their phones will be connected to the battery when in line since they will be snap chatting their vacation away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter