Travel Funds from Southwest

Nohal

DIS Veteran
We booked our trip for September when prices went slightly down. Of course after that they went down again. I now have $155 in travel funds. I know the funds have to be used within a year of the original purchase date. Does that mean I have to travel within that year or can I purchase another flight up to the year date but fly later.

Your travel must be completed by the expiration date, which is indeed, one year from the original purchase date.

And travel funds can only be used by the person who's name was on the original reservation.

Steve

Also, any new money you use along with the travel funds to purchase another ticket will inherit the oldest expiration date. So when you combine travel funds with new money, be sure it's for a trip you really do plan to take because any travel funds from canceling that ticket will have a very short expiration time.

Take note what LisaS posted above. Any money you add will inherit the oldest expiration date. One way to do this and minimize risk is to book each flight to and from separate. This way you can apply the full $155 just on one way. Pay for the other way separate. So only the one way has the oldest expiration date not the entire round trip flight.

Take note what LisaS posted above. Any money you add will inherit the oldest expiration date. One way to do this and minimize risk is to book each flight to and from separate. This way you can apply the full $155 just on one way. Pay for the other way separate. So only the one way has the oldest expiration date not the entire round trip flight.
Thanks for the tip.:thanks:

Worst case, you can let them expire and then pay to extend them. Used to be $75? Might be $100 now. Then it becomes a LUV voucher, which can be used by anyone. I have done this when I have a large enough credit in the name of a family member with no travel plans within the time period before expiration. The rules are tricky, you must wait until it expires to extend. And I think you have a year to extend it, and once you do so, you have 6 months to use it. So timing is important.

Verify all of this with SW before planning on using this approach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!