Travel Insurance - transferable?

OffToDWD

DIS Veteran
If I book a European cruise for July 2017 and buys travel insurance for the cruise... then change the cruise reservation to a March 2018 Caribbean cruise, would I be able to adjust the travel insurance to the new cruise? Or is it a loss and I would need to get new travel insurance for the new cruise? TIA!

If I book a European cruise for July 2017 and buys travel insurance for the cruise... then change the cruise reservation to a March 2018 Caribbean cruise, would I be able to adjust the travel insurance to the new cruise? Or is it a loss and I would need to get new travel insurance for the new cruise? TIA!
That probably depends on whom you are buying the insurance with.
Before you buy it, ask specifically about this scenario. Generally, you CAN change the dates of your trip.
Also, you’d want to pay only for the portion you have invested thus far, so I’ve paid maybe 20 dollars on my placeholder or something like that in the past. Then increase the insurance amount after the PIF date.

I bought third party trip insurance through AAA for a DCL Alaskan cruise I booked for last summer, unfortunately, we were unable to keep the cruise. I had to cancel before PIF date and was able to transfer the insurance I purchased to another trip we took instead of the cruise.

We've had your situation, changed DCL cruises IN ADVANCE of departure date and Generali Travel Insurance applied our travel insurance policy toward the other/new cruise. Pricing actually dropped ! because we accelerated to depart sooner into the Med. Would recommend Generali for the customer service. Reviews here: https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/reviews.html

It really depends on your situation and when you bought the travel insurance. I just ran into this - I bought TI in May 2016 for a September 2017 cruise. We ended up not going on September cruise and changing to July 2018 cruise. The travel insurance would not transfer over because it was more than 2 years between purchase date and date of travel. (This was a John Hancock policy.) We ended up canceling the first policy, getting a refund, and buying a new policy. They did count the "initial payment date" for the July 2018 cruise to be May 2016 even though that was for a different cruise, so the new policy did not have "Cancel for Any Reason" or "Pre-existing conditions" in it, which sucks, but it's better than nothing. See my original post at https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...-and-changing-the-dates-of-your-trip.3635908/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter