Travel Oyster or Oyster card???

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
I apologize for barging in on the UK trip planning board, as I am leaving next Saturday for a trip TO London and Paris. In short, which card should I purchase---the Travel Oyster or the regular Oyster card? I've read and read, and the more I read, the more confused I get, LOL!

We are staying in Westminster, and we will be doing the normal tourist spots, most located in zones 1 and 2
Buckingham Palace
Westminster Abbey
St. Paul's Cathedral
London Eye
Piccadilly Circus
Will need to get to Euston Station to go on Warner Bros. Studios
Churchill War Rooms
Trafalgar Square

Thanks!

I would say an Oyster card but quite a few of the places you have listed are within easy walking distance of each-other, so don’t overload the card. You can also just use your debit/credit card on the tube.
From an hotel in Westminster you you actually quite easily walk to all of them, other than Warner Bros studios and you will pass other sights enroute. Everything is well signposted with distances and minutes it takes to (slow) walk. Have fun.

We live and travel in London. I used to always preload my Oyster card....until I couldn't find it one day and used my regular contactless debit card instead! It is so much easier to manage, the cost to travel and the journey capping is exactly the same. You can register the card you will use on the TFL Oyster website, so you can check how much you have paid for journeys etc. If you have somehow made a mistake (not tapped in or out correctly for instance, so you are charged for a maximum journey) it is easy to contact them and they will rectify any errors.
I would say, unless the Oyster travel card offers you lots of other things to make it worthwhile, like discounts off places you intend to see, then it is not worth purchasing. The exception would be if you have children travelling with you as you would be charged at the adult rate. One other thing worth noting is that you would need a seperate debit card for each of your party, because the system will not let you tap in multiple times using one card.

We live and travel in London. I used to always preload my Oyster card....until I couldn't find it one day and used my regular contactless debit card instead! It is so much easier to manage, the cost to travel and the journey capping is exactly the same. You can register the card you will use on the TFL Oyster website, so you can check how much you have paid for journeys etc. If you have somehow made a mistake (not tapped in or out correctly for instance, so you are charged for a maximum journey) it is easy to contact them and they will rectify any errors.
I would say, unless the Oyster travel card offers you lots of other things to make it worthwhile, like discounts off places you intend to see, then it is not worth purchasing. The exception would be if you have children travelling with you as you would be charged at the adult rate. One other thing worth noting is that you would need a seperate debit card for each of your party, because the system will not let you tap in multiple times using one card.

while this a great suggestion for those who have a UK bank card, I would not suggest it for anyone who does not have a UK bank card. A friend from Ireland used her Irish contactless card on the Tubes and was charged an international bank fee every time she used it, the same as using the card in an ATM or in a shop.

I always recommend any one who does not have a UK bank card to get the actual Oyster Card

while this a great suggestion for those who have a UK bank card, I would not suggest it for anyone who does not have a UK bank card. A friend from Ireland used her Irish contactless card on the Tubes and was charged an international bank fee every time she used it, the same as using the card in an ATM or in a shop.

I always recommend any one who does not have a UK bank card to get the actual Oyster Card
[
I didn't think of that! sorry! Maybe a preloaded card, but then it may as well be a preloaded Oyster card! One thing I did find easy was getting TFL to refund me the money left on my lost card, so hopefully if too much is loaded onto the Oyster cards, it is just as easy to get that money back.

Thanks for these replies and experiences. Being from the States, we are going to go with the Oyster Card and add to it as needed. This is our first trip to Europe---and I want to do everything I can to make it as smooth as possible for my family!

Payments are taken daily not per transaction/journey. If you have a card that doesn’t charge for overseas use it woukd still be an option.

Kids are the real issue, they have to have a kids age set card to get discounted travel, heavily discounted. This is unless under 11 when they just let them through the larger gates with an adult opening the gate via them tapping and all going through.

Thanks for these replies and experiences. Being from the States, we are going to go with the Oyster Card and add to it as needed. This is our first trip to Europe---and I want to do everything I can to make it as smooth as possible for my family!
Enjoy your trip :)

I’m in London on holiday as I am typing this. I would say the Oyster Card is the way to go, however if you have kids, then get a Visitor Oyster card in advance, as I believe you can then convert ones for the kids to get kids discounts. I left it too late to do this for this holiday.

Payments are taken daily not per transaction/journey. If you have a card that doesn’t charge for overseas use it woukd still be an option.

Kids are the real issue, they have to have a kids age set card to get discounted travel, heavily discounted. This is unless under 11 when they just let them through the larger gates with an adult opening the gate via them tapping and all going through.
Hello Am I reading correctly, you can use a credit card on the tube? Thanks for any help. :ssst:

Hello Tink, Where to buy an oyster card in Heathrow terminal 3? Thank you!

Hello Tink, Where to buy an oyster card in Heathrow terminal 3? Thank you!

You need to go to the underground Piccadilly Line Tube station which is shared between Terminal 2 and Terminal 3. There is a ticket desk there and they will help you with any questions.

Just follow the signs from the arrivals hall , once you have collected your checked luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!