Traveling *TO* the U.K. from America

Sarahraegraham

Mouseketeer
Hi there :flower3:

DH and I are tentatively planning a Disney cruise vacation to the British Isles out of Dover next year. We live in Pennsylvania, and this would be our first time in the U.K.

I’m currently researching like crazy, because this is the first time I’ve ever thought an overseas vacation might be possible, and while I’m learning a lot, I also feel slightly overwhelmed. I would love to hear from locals what your tips, tricks and advice would be for us.

We will likely be flying in via British Airways to Heathrow (only direct flights from our home airport). Also booking hotels through DCL, so first day would likely be at the Sofitel at Heathrow, then Disney transport to Dover for the cruise. Afterward, we would take Disney transport into London for a 3-night stay at Grosvenor House near Hyde Park.

We are currently thinking Buckingham Palace on disembarkation day once we are settled in our hotel. Then the next day the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey via the Original Bus Hop On/Off tour, then just riding it around as long as we like, plus a night bus tour. The final day we are thinking of taking the Eurostar into Paris and riding the Hop On/Off bus there to see the Palais Garnier, Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower (*not* going up), plus lunch and dinner somewhere convenient before taking the Eurostar back into London. The next day would be our flight home.

I know it’s not a lot of time in either city, but it’s the best we can manage at the moment, and it will likely be our only trip ever across the pond.

Any general advice, places to eat or not eat, best value for money on anything at all would be great, as we’ll be sticking to a strict budget, but still want to experience as much and the best that we can afford in such a short time.

Thank you! :flower3:

Depending on the weather you would see more by walking London- we have done this when a fellow dis-er from the USA visited us. It would enable you to see all the main sights easily in a day if you are fairly fit. You get a better look by foot than bud and it’s free.
I would look for any Paul’s bakery for snacks, Tesco or Sainsbury’s local shops will provide you with inexpensive food and drink snacks (supermarkets located centrally). Costa coffee and Starbucks are all over for a quick coffee.
For lunch or dinner visit the reasonably priced Slug and Lettuce chain either near the London Eye or Tower Bridge.
Time permitting you can take the boat tour on the Thames from Westminster to Greenwich.
Walkit London provides maps of walks all over the capital.
If you want any more personal suggestions please feel free to personal message me.
Have a lovely trip x

Points to note

You will need U.K. Sterling ( £ ) Money FOR London AND EUROS ( € ) for France

Chip & Pin Debit & Credit Cards from USA will work but will have a Foreign Transaction Fee charge

Might have trouble using Cheques

Power Plugs & Adaptors

U.K uses a 3 pin Flat Plug

France & Europe Use a 2 Pin Round Plug

Personally, I would disagree about walking being the best way to see London for a first timer. We regularly visit London from Aberdeen (doing it on holiday again this year), and I would say for a first timer, the bus tour is a great way to see most sights quickly, especially if you have limited time. I agree that by walking, you can get to see some interesting stuff you can't see on the bus. But if you are only spending one day sightseeing, then a bus tour and maybe 2 other attractions is about all you will be able to manage during the day I reckon. The Original Bus Tour also throws in a free river cruise as well.

You haven't said what time of year you are going - Buckingham Palace itself is only open certain times of the year. You can still get to see the changing of the guard and the Royal Mews, but not inside the palace itself if it is closed.

Tower of London is a good tour, and would be interesting for an American.

Personally, I wouldn't do Westminster Abbey - I would rather do something like a river cruise down to Greenwich (which you could combine with a trip to the Royal Observatory or maritime museum), or even a tour of the Houses of Parliament. But maybe that's because you see big old cathedrals all over the place in our country. For an American (I assume you are American), the Abbey may be more interesting as you have less of those sorts of old buildings (and you may well be more interested in things like the Royal Wedding links). If you are into the Royal Family big time, then maybe consider Kensington Palace too, where Princess Di lived.

For budget stuff to do, you should also consider the fantastic museums they have to offer in London which are all free - The British Museum, Natural History Museum, Science Museum and Imperial War Museums are all great free attractions.

For the night, you could maybe take in a show, but they are not cheap. Something a bit cheaper to do on an evening would be one of the Jack the Ripper tours - I did one once, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We always do the Hard Rock Cafe whilst in London - some great memorabilia in there, and the food tends to be very good, but it isn't cheap, and you really need to book.

Your trip sounds fab! Bus tour will be a good way to see things and you can always decide to get off if you change your mind while you're on your way round.

I had a really good roast dinner opposite the Tower, I think it was called the chop house. There's a good bbq place nearby too (Bodeans) but you might want something more 'British' like fish and chips maybe. Have a look on TA and look over the bridge opposite the ToL because I find it's usually cheaper if you walk just five-ten mins away from those types of attractions.

I also second the Natural History Museum - it's incredible and I go almost every time I'm in London. Soho / Chinatown is worth a visit for great Chinese food and it's usually quite cheap to eat too.

Your trip sounds fab! Bus tour will be a good way to see things and you can always decide to get off if you change your mind while you're on your way round.

I had a really good roast dinner opposite the Tower, I think it was called the chop house. There's a good bbq place nearby too (Bodeans) but you might want something more 'British' like fish and chips maybe. Have a look on TA and look over the bridge opposite the ToL because I find it's usually cheaper if you walk just five-ten mins away from those types of attractions.

I also second the Natural History Museum - it's incredible and I go almost every time I'm in London. Soho / Chinatown is worth a visit for great Chinese food and it's usually quite cheap to eat too.
That's a good point about going over Tower Bridge onto the other side of the river, on the South Bank. Some interesting stuff on the South Bank, including HMS Belfast, the Clink Museum, Golden Hinde, recreation of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and the Tate Modern. There are also some interesting pubs on that side which usually do traditional British food like fish and chips. I used to frequent The Old Thameside Inn and the Anchor when I worked in the area, but that was almost 20 years ago, so can't vouch for what it is like these days. But they are right on the river, with some nice views.

Last edited:
Why are you taking Eurostar back to London, why not go 1 way and check into a French hotel and take flight back from Paris?

Just to clarify, you’re:

Flying into Heathrow, staying there for a night at the Sofitel
Getting a shuttle to Dover and taking the cruise
After the cruise, you’re going back to London for three nights and then flying home

If I’ve read it right, as another poster suggested, you’d be better on your last full day taking the Eurostar to Paris and booking a hotel there for one night, and flying home from Paris the next day. This would give you time to enjoy a full day in Paris - otherwise I’d imagine you’d only have a few hours there.

For saving money, I would have a look at Groupon’s UK website as there are many good deals to be had on restaurants there that will potentially save you some money. Chain restaurants like Prezzo, Pizza Express and Cafe Rouge usually offer good discounts online - sometimes up to 50% off. Food isn’t as expensive in the U.K. as in the US which should help you out a bit.

You could get a bus tour - the other way you could get around easily is the Tube (the London Underground). London is very well connected and you can get from place to place very easily this way. It’s much cheaper though if you get an Oyster card, or if your credit card is contactless, this is much cheaper too.

Just to add - all of our prices here include tax - so the price you see in a shop or restaurant is the price you’ll pay. In table service restaurants, you also aren’t expected to tip here, which will save you some money (although you’re welcome to tip if you’re really happy with the service, and 10% is more than enough).

Just to clarify the U.K. tipping. Whilst there is no unwritten law that you need to tip 15,18 or 20% it is normal custom to tip in the region of 10%. Whilst the waiting staff will not chase you down the street for not tipping they will think you were being tight for not having left a tip. Of course if the service was bad then don’t.

The actual difference is that our staff all get our minimum wage, no discount as they are a tipped job.

I think the hop on/ hop off bus tours are a fantastic idea if you don't know the city very well. I wouldn't use them in London, because I'm there all the time for auditions etc (and my dad is a born and bred londoner so its in my blood lol) but I used them all the time in Italy/France on my last European cruise and they made it so easy to get around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter