• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling to WDW with kids other than your own?

mickeysaver

<font color=blue>WINNER of the world's worst limer
It seems that many people bring along a friend of their DD's or DS's when they go to WDW. One thing that I thought that might be worth mentioning along this line would be to make sure that before you travel with the child of another, even a relative's child, be sure to get a written note from their parental unit that states that you have the right to seek treatment for the child and make medical decisions in their absence. Get the parent to include the child's full name and address along with their date of birth. If possible, also include the name and address of the child's medical provider. Don't forget to get a copy of the child's insurance card, front and back. Hopefully, you will never need to use it, but it never hurts to be prepared.

I know this might sound a bit odd, but it is a must given the new healthcare privacy guidelines that are coming into full swing in April, 2003. It's called HIPAA and it's a federally mandated healthcare privacy act. I work in a pediatric office and you wouldn't believe the changes this act is making in the way we do business. Grandmas are being told they can't have the child seen without a note from mom or dad. It's nuts! In an emergency situation, a child would always be treated without parental permission, but imagine if the kid just had an ear infection or needed stitches, these situations would require permission from an adult. I hope this helps someone. Mickey

A notary can take care of this. It's called a MEDICAL RELEASE FORM. I babysit my little 2 year old cousin and this was one of the first things I requested of her parents. Should anything happen that requires an emergency room visit while she's in my care, I will just present this letter that has her family's insurance and social security numbers on it. They hospital can start care immediately while her parents are on their way, if necessary.

Great advice!

We are taking my dh's 13 yr old sister and even though she is family she is not our daughter. SO we have a Notarized letter giving us permission to take her with us and act on my in-laws behalf for medical emergencies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter