Traveling with a deaf child on their first visit

Nikred513

Earning My Ears
Good Morning! I have a trip planned for mid September 2019. My brother and his family are hopefully going to join us. Their biggest concern is for my nephew, who is 7 and completely deaf. He does know ASL (their family all knows ASL, I know some ASL). What kind of tips would you suggest? We have pulled up the list of shows where ASL interpreters are present and looked up the offerings from Disney for other services (reflective captioning, and a device to use in the parks). Is there anything in particular to avoid? He does not have a cochlear implant or any hearing aids - and absolutely adores Mickey Mouse.

some face characters also sign. if you discreetly let the 'handler' know, it is possible your nephew will be able to have a full blown conversation with a Princess or Peter Pan. whether or not who does and their schedule is available, I am not sure.

otherwise there is no reason he can't enjoy the parks just as much as everyone else. a lot of it is visual stimuli.

Just make sure you let them know in advance that you will need an ASL interpreter if you want to do any of the shows that they can provide services for.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/hearing-disabilities-services/

I have also seen videos where Mickey Mouse and some of the other characters know ASL and sign to deaf kids, not saying this should be expected, as I am sure many of their friends do not know ASL, but it may be something that can be arranged specifically by calling guest services, I don't know, but worth a shot.

Also, if you ever bring them out to California, the San Diego Zoo and also the San Diego Zoo Safari Park will provide an ASL Interpreter with a minimum of one week notice. From what I understand, they actually stay with you the entire day.

https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/visit/guests-with-disabilities

Just something that may be helpful in the future.

some face characters also sign. if you discreetly let the 'handler' know, it is possible your nephew will be able to have a full blown conversation with a Princess or Peter Pan. whether or not who does and their schedule is available, I am not sure.

otherwise there is no reason he can't enjoy the parks just as much as everyone else. a lot of it is visual stimuli.

This would just make his day!

Just make sure you let them know in advance that you will need an ASL interpreter if you want to do any of the shows that they can provide services for.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/hearing-disabilities-services/

I have also seen videos where Mickey Mouse and some of the other characters know ASL and sign to deaf kids, not saying this should be expected, as I am sure many of their friends do not know ASL, but it may be something that can be arranged specifically by calling guest services, I don't know, but worth a shot.

Also, if you ever bring them out to California, the San Diego Zoo and also the San Diego Zoo Safari Park will provide an ASL Interpreter with a minimum of one week notice. From what I understand, they actually stay with you the entire day.

https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/visit/guests-with-disabilities

Just something that may be helpful in the future.

That sounds fantastic for the zoo!
We did find a calendar that shows when the ASL interpreters are at specific shows, and if they do join us - we will plan our days to be where the interpreters are offered.

I've seen some YouTube videos of characters signing with deaf kids, but I expect it's just luck whether the right one happens to be on duty. Definitely tell the handler, though, just in case!

Good Morning! I have a trip planned for mid September 2019. My brother and his family are hopefully going to join us. Their biggest concern is for my nephew, who is 7 and completely deaf. He does know ASL (their family all knows ASL, I know some ASL). What kind of tips would you suggest? We have pulled up the list of shows where ASL interpreters are present and looked up the offerings from Disney for other services (reflective captioning, and a device to use in the parks). Is there anything in particular to avoid? He does not have a cochlear implant or any hearing aids - and absolutely adores Mickey Mouse.
if you are doing any character meals ask to talk to or server talk to the character handler as soon as you are seated so they can let characters know. as fur characters can not see well out of head and will not hear as a cue child is there. this is also true for meets and greets as handlers are good at letting characters know what they need to know. granted it is different all did great with a young grandson who was nonverbal at the time of our Wish Trip. even the fur characters took the lead to get him involved at the meeting not waiting for him to talk when cued by handler. on rides be ready to point him where the action is happening in case he is looking the other way. my biggest concern would be if he would get separated from you guys have a card for him to show CM that would give the info to get you guys as this would speed up not having to wait until CM that knows ASL is found. one thing we had with grandson was a signal that meant stop and look at adult he was with. I assume you have asked his parents what they expect or think he will want to do or ride and go from there. it is more work with him but have a great trip

There is a blessing and curse with first visits - the blessing is that because the person has never been, their expectations are somewhat open... except... there are few people who *haven't* seen those beautiful Disney World commercials on TV where it looks like walkways are a mile wide, and no one else is there, but you and your family! And there are no lines anywhere! And everyone is smiling and happy, and no one is having a meltdown, and no one is sweaty and grumpy and so tired they would kill a Muppet for that bench, give me the bench NOW, and you better make it shady.

And that's the curse. Unrealistic expectations set by cinematic television commercials and those "Vacation Planning" DVDs that Disney used to (do they still?) send out. (I know that you can download the whole thing from the website and watch it on your devices now)

Possibly one of the greatest "gifts" you can give your nephew will be to just set expectations. Let him know that there are going to be a LOT of people there (especially in the Magic Kingdom) and that he might *feel* the fireworks when they are set off. (Our daughter is actually quite sensitive to those sensations; we had to move way back down Main Street about half way through HEA in January). Talk to him in advance about holding hands (tell him Mickey & Minnie hold hands all the time ;)) with someone in the family ALL the time. Work with his family about things like Resort rooms (WDW has rooms with hearing-impaired features, like flashing lights for smoke detectors, etc.)

And then have the best, first-ever trip

if you are doing any character meals ask to talk to or server talk to the character handler as soon as you are seated so they can let characters know. as fur characters can not see well out of head and will not hear as a cue child is there. this is also true for meets and greets as handlers are good at letting characters know what they need to know. granted it is different all did great with a young grandson who was nonverbal at the time of our Wish Trip. even the fur characters took the lead to get him involved at the meeting not waiting for him to talk when cued by handler. on rides be ready to point him where the action is happening in case he is looking the other way. my biggest concern would be if he would get separated from you guys have a card for him to show CM that would give the info to get you guys as this would speed up not having to wait until CM that knows ASL is found. one thing we had with grandson was a signal that meant stop and look at adult he was with. I assume you have asked his parents what they expect or think he will want to do or ride and go from there. it is more work with him but have a great trip

My SIL has talked with his teacher at school and they did suggest a lanyard for him to wear in the parks in case he gets separated from us. His parents will also be with us (they are just still mulling over the decision to go).

There is a blessing and curse with first visits - the blessing is that because the person has never been, their expectations are somewhat open... except... there are few people who *haven't* seen those beautiful Disney World commercials on TV where it looks like walkways are a mile wide, and no one else is there, but you and your family! And there are no lines anywhere! And everyone is smiling and happy, and no one is having a meltdown, and no one is sweaty and grumpy and so tired they would kill a Muppet for that bench, give me the bench NOW, and you better make it shady.

And that's the curse. Unrealistic expectations set by cinematic television commercials and those "Vacation Planning" DVDs that Disney used to (do they still?) send out. (I know that you can download the whole thing from the website and watch it on your devices now)

Possibly one of the greatest "gifts" you can give your nephew will be to just set expectations. Let him know that there are going to be a LOT of people there (especially in the Magic Kingdom) and that he might *feel* the fireworks when they are set off. (Our daughter is actually quite sensitive to those sensations; we had to move way back down Main Street about half way through HEA in January). Talk to him in advance about holding hands (tell him Mickey & Minnie hold hands all the time ;)) with someone in the family ALL the time. Work with his family about things like Resort rooms (WDW has rooms with hearing-impaired features, like flashing lights for smoke detectors, etc.)

And then have the best, first-ever trip

My family has been twice before - so I have a good idea of how to explain what to expect. I cannot thank everyone here enough for the suggestions! If they do join us we will have group with 4 adults, 2 teens and my 6 year old son and my 7 year old nephew. I didn't even think about the fireworks and the vibrations, I know I feel them when I am there.

Be sure to get a schedule for the interpreted shows and parade. Also you can request interpreting for Hoop Dee Doo or the Luau if you plan on doing that. Castmembers that can sign will have a SL Finger spelled below their name tag. If you have other questions feel free to ask. My moniker is actually because I use sign language on a regular basis. Both hubby and I are hard of hearing

Only time you need to notify them to schedule an interpreter would be Hoop Dee Doo or the Luau dinner shows or if you are doing any backstage tours. MVMCP and MNSSHP parties. Park shows are on a scheduled rotation

I have no advise to give but just wanted to say that some of the most touching moments I have seen at WDW were "signing" interactions. I so wish I had learned many years ago because it's beautiful to watch

Slightly off topic..
When we were on vacation and the invictus games were being held at wdw;
We attended the closing ceremony & I loved the fact the whole ceremony was signed.

Op-hope you all have a fantastic trip ( assuming family decide to go!).

Deaf people have had to get used to living in a hearing world very quickly so he won’t need a lanyard or anything like that if he doesn’t use one at home. CMs can communicate with writing which is something else that we’re used to doing, even when young. You’d be surprised at how much you can communicate with just gestures even with a non signer.

Definitely go to the interpretered shows & parades, the performers in the parade often learn a little ASL to use when they pass the area with the interpreters. It’s a great way to meet other Deaf guests in the parks too.

The interpreters are also an excellent resource for Deaf access in the parks. They knew about the friends of characters who were Deaf or could sign and they’d let me know if they were in the parks today and where I could find them. One time I was at Crush in DLR and the interpreter knew that a friend of Anna who was fluent was currently meeting guests in the same building so he took me over there, even cut the line to ensure I’d get the right Anna!

They also provide blue boxes at Guest Relations for captioning on some attractions but they’re kind of buggy at times.

And if you’re going to WDW, I’ll be doing my DCP there this fall!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter