Traveling with two teen girls - age 15 and 18

Julylady

DIS Veteran
I am traveling with two teen girls ages 15 and 18 next spring. This trip is a graduation present for the older teen. I am just realizing how tricky it will be to travel with one teen and one "adult." I am thinking that the 18 year old will not be allowed to join the 15 year old in the teen clubs? Can someone confirm? Conversely, is there any programming unique for 18 year olds? I am doubting that they will want to split up. On past adult only trips, I have spent a lot of time in the Solarium. Will that venue be totally off limits to the 15 year old including the food options in the Solarium? Similarly, will the three of us be able to spend time in the bars listening to music?

I would welcome any insight from those families who have traveled with mixed age groups. THANKS.

My understanding is that the 18yo won't be allowed in the teen club. If she just turned 18 there may be some leniency but it would be at the sole discretion of whoever is in charge of the teen area at the time. I'd guess that the answer would generally be "no", but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

There are group activities for the 18-21 crowd but as I don't have any kids in that range I can't say if they are well attended or not.

On Oasis class the Solarium Bistro is open to everyone for breakfast and lunch. I don't know how strict the Solarium proper is about teens in the area though. Not even sure what might get you kicked out of there, to be honest.

Bars is probably the easiest answer - your kids can spend time with you there. But they won't be able to purchase alcohol.

the 18 yo has aged out of the teen program. They do not make exceptions. The 15 yo may not go into the pool area of the Solarium. ( food area is fine) They are subject to the 1 am curfew as well. Nor can they enter the adult club ( one lounge after 10pm)

Otherwise they have the run of the ship and there will be plenty they can do together. The 18-20 set might have a few activities, but not necessarily something the 15 yo would enjoy.

Not sure where you are cruising but in Europe 18 and above can drink if you give permission. We have taken my grand daughter on lots of Disney cruises and she aged into their version of 18 to 21 group. She always had fun but rarely got in before 2 am. Just a heads up that there seems to be lots of alcohol available, from parents rooms if not bars.

the 18 yo has aged out of the teen program. They do not make exceptions. The 15 yo may not go into the pool area of the Solarium. ( food area is fine) They are subject to the 1 am curfew as well. Nor can they enter the adult club ( one lounge after 10pm)

Otherwise they have the run of the ship and there will be plenty they can do together. The 18-20 set might have a few activities, but not necessarily something the 15 yo would enjoy.

That's not true. They're probably not supposed to make exceptions but sometimes they do. I know of 2 occasions where teens that just turned 18 were allowed in the teen club with their siblings.

Ugh that is tough. I would suggest they focus more on the activities outside the clubs. Scavenger hunts, Flowriders, shows, pools, etc. They can also do the various line dancing classes if they are into that. I know one of the dance clubs allowed kids (the one with the band) but the nightclub checked ID.

My daughter turns 18 this year and I am glad I took her in March when she was still 17. Debating going next year but it would be tough with a 17 and 18 year old.

I am traveling with two teen girls ages 15 and 18 next spring. This trip is a graduation present for the older teen. I am just realizing how tricky it will be to travel with one teen and one "adult." I am thinking that the 18 year old will not be allowed to join the 15 year old in the teen clubs? Can someone confirm? Conversely, is there any programming unique for 18 year olds? I am doubting that they will want to split up. On past adult only trips, I have spent a lot of time in the Solarium. Will that venue be totally off limits to the 15 year old including the food options in the Solarium? Similarly, will the three of us be able to spend time in the bars listening to music?

I would welcome any insight from those families who have traveled with mixed age groups. THANKS.
error

OP here. Thanks for the responses. I think I will not bring up the Teen Club at all and just encourage them to find things to do together. They are very close and I don't see them wanting to split up.

We have been cruising since kids were 6 and 8. They are now 18 and 20. (18 is girl, 20 is boy). When they were younger they enjoyed the kids club but once they got into their teens they just hung out with us or each other and found plenty to do. They especially like the Movies on Deck ( I think RCCL has this - most of our recent cruises have been Carnival but booked the Oasis for December 2020 ).

OP here. Thanks for the responses. I think I will not bring up the Teen Club at all and just encourage them to find things to do together. They are very close and I don't see them wanting to split up.
It sucks how they separate the ages. Our kids are younger than yours but would also be separated in different groups as they are 10 and 14. Having said that, we travel Royal but they never go to the kids clubs. Everyone is different, but for us it's our family vacation and so we do things together on the ship. Sometimes we'll split up if they are interested in different things (e.g. one wants laserquest while the other wants to swim) but overall, we do things together and always have an amazing time.

It looks like ages 12-17 are in the teen club - is that right? I think my 12 year old will be intimidated hanging out with 17 year olds.

The teen club is subdivided into two groups based on age. So I think it's 12-14 and 15 and up

while RCCl has “rules” enforcement is discretionary. You probably won’t have issues with the kids in the Solarium if they are well behaved.

We just got off the Radiance and there was no seperation within the teen club. It was one group 12-17. Although the kids self selected, a group of younger boys tended to hang out in the club mainly playing video games. But most of the other teens hung out together and moved around the ship in a pack doing things like Karaoke and Flash Mob and such. According my children, the "scheduled" activites almost never happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!