Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a trial, and just like any trial you should consider this to be a 'test and adjust' phase and fully expect changes to occur in line with practical assessments and reaction to guest comments.

POR and POFQ are a ten-minute walk apart. yes, guests can use facilities of both resorts (including, unusually, the swimming pools) but they are effectively separate entities in much the same way that the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian can be walked between in a few minutes but are not the same hotel. To suggest that this policy will adversely impact FOFQ guests is pure scaremongering.

[To be honest, a lot of this thread in general seems to be worst-case scaremongering anyway - the vast majority of guests at POR will most likely never ever see a dog during their stay anyway. But hey, what would the Disney community be without a healthy dose of righteous indignation? :) Yeah, I know, I've been guilty of that too at times, and probably will again]

Andre

What? Andre, you haven't heard Disney's newest policy? They've now changed the name of the resorts from "dog-friendly" to "dog mandatory"! All guests will be required to have a dog. If you don't have one, one will be provided for you at check in. You have the choice between an ankle biter that never stops barking or a Direwolf. Disney has contracted shelter dogs to go in each and every hotel room on property so that all rooms are "pre-scented". DOGS EVERYWHERE!!

What? Andre, you haven't heard Disney's newest policy? They've now changed the name of the resorts from "dog-friendly" to "dog mandatory"! All guests will be required to have a dog. If you don't have one, one will be provided for you at check in. You have the choice between an ankle biter that never stops barking or a Direwolf. Disney has contracted shelter dogs to go in each and every hotel room on property so that all rooms are "pre-scented". DOGS EVERYWHERE!!
LMAO!!!!!!!⛺

Can I get one of each kind?

Then you look forward for dogs on the path and give the leashed dog the right of way if you see one ahead. If you’re worried about being jumped on by a leashed dog, don’t put yourself in the situation where you might be jumped on. It’s really not rocket science no mater how many “what about’s” you come up with.
Hmmm. That sounds similar to the "she was asking for it" train of thought.

I can't like this enough. Breed-specific legislation is nothing but ignorance and prejudice. It's like saying all blondes are dumb or all white males in their late 20's are serial killers. If Disney is allowing canine guests, I'm glad they are including all breeds. I used to believe what I heard about pit bulls being dangerous before my son asked for one. I then researched them, spoke to our veterinarian, who says she is more afraid of dachshunds than pits, and am now grandma to a 65 lb pit. He sleeps between my husband and me, lets the cat eat out of his bowl and groom him, and is scared of his own shadow. He is also the most loving, empathetic animal we have ever owned. If anyone says so much as "ouch," he is the first one there, ready to make sure you are ok. I have also learned that this is pretty typical pit bull behavior.
Also, some "pit bulls" in dog attacks are not actually pit bulls. Other breeds are often mistaken for pit bulls (which btw isn't an actual breed), so the percentage of bites/attacks is inflated. There was a study done where veterinarians and shelter workers were asked to identify dogs by breed (DNA tests were done), and dogs with no pit bull DNA were labelled pits up to 48% of the time. This kind of mislabeling leads to dogs losing their homes, not being adopted, and being euthanized.
And, no, I won't be bringing Colton to Disney. We fly down, and he's more than happy being spoiled by his other grandparents when we go away. :dog2:
I get this & I have had a viscous dachshund! However, I never feared him & kept him til he died at age 16. I kept him away from small children, but, otherwise it was kind of comical that he was that way. But, I would never have kept an aggressive big dog. Too dangerous. Now, not saying pit bulls are more aggressive than other breeds. Personally, I like big dogs too & have both. But I stick to breeds like golden retrievers that are very unlikely to be aggressive. To me it’s like have a tiger. You can raise it from a cub & it can never harm anyone ever & be a great pet, but it’s about the damage it can do so quickly if turns out to be aggressive not that it’s anymore likely my be aggressive.

Yes :)

It's why I shared (I think I shared it on this thread) about the neighbor who fosters dogs and the one they currently have a person simply thought it was a pit bull and shot the dog (she survived but now is 3-legged).

And yes pit bull isn't a breed but rather a type of a dog. And like black cats pit bulls can be hard to get adopted but pit bulls are often the first to go on the kill list (a no kill shelter can still kill up to a certain percentage and still be considered no kill) for no reason other than being labled a pit bull.

I try not to get too far into a BSL debate (there's only been a handful of threads that have had that much of a heated debate on that topic where I've even commented on) but it is the truth that pit bulls were not always on the bad list. It really wasn't too long ago that german shepards were #1, etc.

At any rate I do agree with you :)
I worked in veterinary medicine for 7 years before & during college & I fear German Shepherds & Dalmatians above all other breeds! Little dog breeds always had potential too but couldn’t do as much Damage.

(a no kill shelter can still kill up to a certain percentage and still be considered no kill) for no reason other than being labled a pit bull.
:)

A "no-kill" shelter is a shelter that does not put down "adoptable" animals. Sadly, no percentage really matters. How they deem them adoptable is up to each individual shelter, but yes it's not uncommon for them to deem pit bulls unadoptable for no reason other than being pit bulls.

When does everyone think it will be enough time to pass to have a good idea of how many dogs will regularly be at these resorts? I leave in 13 days for Fort Wilderness (staying in an RV for 9 days) so I can check out the cabins regularly. I can also check out the Yacht Club and possibly the other 2 resorts if enough people care. I will try to be as objective as possible. For those that may have not read my initial post I am perfectly okay with dogs at the resorts but would never, ever bring my 2 dogs because I have way too much anxiety to ever enjoy my vacation. In fact, dogs have been allowed in RV's for as long as I've been going to Fort Wilderness and I still don't bring them. Maybe one day when our soon to be 15 year old pitbull mix passes away and we only have our younger dog. I still understand why people would want to bring their dogs though...it's just not for me. If November is too soon to tell then I'll be back in March or April 2018 to get a better idea of what to expect.

I think a good gauge of the trial policy might not be until spring 2018 as pp have mentioned so many of us make reservations months in advance (hotel and plane) that they most likely won't change those plans now.

LMAO and spit my coffee out while reading it!:rotfl2:

And here is where I go back to lurking. This thread has turned into a new level of crazy. I question how many of you have made it this far in life with all of the doom and gloom you allow yourself to live with over a Disney vacation. I hope all of you, dog owners and dog haters, are able to have great vacations. I know I certainly will. :dog2::dog2::dog2:

And here is where I go back to lurking. This thread has turned into a new level of crazy. I question how many of you have made it this far in life with all of the doom and gloom you allow yourself to live with over a Disney vacation. I hope all of you, dog owners and dog haters, are able to have great vacations. I know I certainly will. :dog2::dog2::dog2:
I agree that some of the comments have gone overboard, on both sides. But, please do not call those who have a problem with the new dog-friendly policy "dog haters." Many who object are dog owners, themselves, and others have medical conditions, which could very well affect their safety and well-being, if coming into contact with dogs or dog hair/dander.

I agree that some of the comments have gone overboard, on both sides. But, please do not call those who have a problem with the new dog-friendly policy "dog haters." Many who object are dog owners, themselves, and others have medical conditions, which could very well affect their safety and well-being, if coming into contact with dogs or dog hair/dander.

I didn't mean to imply that people here only fall into those 2 categories. I meant it on a scale from being a dog lover to dog hater (if that makes sense). Those who are going overboard with their comments are more than likely in the latter category and there is probably nothing anybody could say to them to ease their minds.

I'm actually mad at myself for even posting anything to begin with. I avoid drama as much as possible in real life and all of this just seems so silly in the grand scheme of things. I only posted because someone was spreading flat out lies about Fort Wilderness being infested with piles of poop probably in an attempt to try to prove their point. What good does it do to go to worst case scenario? To get other people worked up over things that will more than likely never happen? Doom and gloom. I am way too old for this (at 30 years old LOL). The happiest place on Earth? Not according to this thread.

Last edited:
Bottom line is that Disney will do what Disney wants to make more money. If some don't like what Disney does, don't go to Disney. They will run a few commercials and you will be replaced. We don't have a say, we may think that we do but we don't. Disney will take feedback into consideration but generating positive PR while increasing profit will be the deciding factor in everything that they do. They are a business, not your friend.

:earsboy: Bill

Seems like there is a spoof of Disney news websites out there now. Whatever your take on this new policy, I laughed at this:

Disney’s new dog-friendly hotel policy also includes horses

GF_Horse-650x416.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter