Tried Kona

I ate there many years ago on the strong recommendation of a friend. I thought it was just okay, certainly not bad, but probably not worth the trip over to the Poly. Your mileage may vary.

I used to really like Kona, but when they changed the menu a few years back, I stopped going. I'm not a fan of sushi, and the other entrees don't appeal.

For our trip this past August, I made a breakfast reservation at Kona but I cancelled it. I've been wanting to try it and thought since we were staying at the Poly one night it would be the perfect time to try, but I was on the fence the whole time We were also paying out of pocket for meals so that weighed heavily on my decision.

We've always had excellent food and service at Kona but we've only been there for dinners.

I’ve always found they have a good range of foods to appeal to different people, whether they want sushi, something a bit adventurous, or something pretty basic. Will never impress as much as Flying Fish, but it’s a bit easier to satisfy everyone in the family, as well as cheaper and easier to get into.

Bruce

It used to be a favorite that I did once or twice every trip. But the menu changes in the last few years have ruined it for me. Last three or so visits were disappointing to me. Dropped it from the rotation. Would consider trying it again if the menu ever changes to be more to my liking again.

We visited for dinner in August having been lots of times previously and were very disappointed. The food was just ok for the price paid but the service and general atmosphere of Kona had deteriorated. I think next August we will give it a miss particularly as there are so many restaurants.

I’m a Kona breakfast regular every trip. Mostly because I have a gluten allergy, yearn for carbs, and they make me Tonga toast and pineapple macadamia nut pancakes :love:I’ve never done lunch or dinner there

We've always had excellent food and service at Kona but we've only been there for dinners.
We normally go there when we stay at Poly and although the food isn't signature meal memorable it was fine; reminds me of a better diner. I ate breakfast there once and the service was just what was needed: unobtrusive, efficient, and not overly friendly (I'm a morning grouch). Our first ever meal was a lunch at Kona and it helped disperse preconceived notions I'd had of the quality of food at WDW. We also had our first WDW Christmas Eve dinner there which was purely for the convenience of not walking too far, LOL.

I ordered their classic burger, it was nothing special.
I don't think any of us have ever had a burger there so thanks for the heads up.

I ordered their classic burger, it was nothing special.

I am sorry you had a less than impressed time at Kona and wish it had been better. Our time and money is valuable, so it is always disappoinging when this happens, especially on a costly Disney vacation.

I will say that while of course every restaurant should be on point for all of it's menu items, I don't think a burger is where this place, not to mention many other Disney eateries, really shines.

Me, personally, a burger would be the last thing I would get at a place like Kona and most of the Disney sit-down restaurants, simply because it is such a basic dish and won't really give me either the most bang for my Disney buck (Dining plan lifer here) and also is not likely to showcase the best and most interesting flavors of the Disney restaurant.

Don't get me wrong, I love me a great, delicious, even greasy burger! But they are a dime a dozen in the real world of fast food, aren't they? I might get a burger at a sit-down restaurant like the Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex or the Sci-Fi Dine in or some of the other Disney Springs places, some of which even specialize in burgers because actually chain eateries usually really do focus on making their burgers a star-attraction on their menu.

Places more specialized/exotic like Kona are not likely to spend as much time making their burger be that great. I'm not saying that's right, of course! And I understand, because I have members of my own family who want burgers all the time, that there will always be diners who will want a burger whenever and wherever they go out to eat because it is what they prefer and of course, if it's on the menu, it should be great! No argument, there.

It's just I would never expect much from a burger at most of the Disney restaurants like this, but sure they all have a burger on the menu, because they know someone will always order it.

Anyway, I have been to Kona before and always had exceptional food and service. You probably won't try it again, of course, but if you ever were interested in some of their more themed menu items, you might see what makes them so special and what they do best.

I am sorry you had a less than impressed time at Kona and wish it had been better. Our time and money is valuable, so it is always disappoinging when this happens, especially on a costly Disney vacation.

I will say that while of course every restaurant should be on point for all of it's menu items, I don't think a burger is where this place, not to mention many other Disney eateries, really shines.

Me, personally, a burger would be the last thing I would get at a place like Kona and most of the Disney sit-down restaurants, simply because it is such a basic dish and won't really give me either the most bang for my Disney buck (Dining plan lifer here) and also is not likely to showcase the best and most interesting flavors of the Disney restaurant.

Don't get me wrong, I love me a great, delicious, even greasy burger! But they are a dime a dozen in the real world of fast food, aren't they? I might get a burger at a sit-down restaurant like the Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex or the Sci-Fi Dine in or some of the other Disney Springs places, some of which even specialize in burgers because actually chain eateries usually really do focus on making their burgers a star-attraction on their menu.

Places more specialized/exotic like Kona are not likely to spend as much time making their burger be that great. I'm not saying that's right, of course! And I understand, because I have members of my own family who want burgers all the time, that there will always be diners who will want a burger whenever and wherever they go out to eat because it is what they prefer and of course, if it's on the menu, it should be great! No argument, there.

It's just I would never expect much from a burger at most of the Disney restaurants like this, but sure they all have a burger on the menu, because they know someone will always order it.

Anyway, I have been to Kona before and always had exceptional food and service. You probably won't try it again, of course, but if you ever were interested in some of their more themed menu items, you might see what makes them so special and what they do best.
I will be willing to give Kona another chance. Let me know when you go next time, I will join you for lunch.

Wish there was somewhere at Disney that truly had a gourmet first class burger. I've been to many upscale restaurants around the USA that have $20-$25 burgers that were worth every $. Nothing I've found at Disney is worth more than $10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter