• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Trip planning....trying to convince husband MK is for adults too.

wearesiamese

Earning My Ears
Can anyone help me out here? My husband and I are planning a trip to MK. I've been there SEVERAL times over the past 2 years, but he hasn't been since he was about 8. I'm trying to convince him that it IS just as fun (if not more) for adults than kids.

Any help here?

Thanks!

Are you planning on just going to MK or are you visiting other parks as well?

My DBF is 43 and I am 33 and we don't have kids and I've been sitting here trying to think of motivators that you could give your DH and am finding it hard because I can't understand why he wouldn't want to go.

It is like reliving your youth in a very controlled, safe, joyous and happy environment that takes you out of the reality that you live in. Everyone is friendly and courteous and there are some great adventures and rides to experience - doesn't he want to feel like that "kid" again???

Don't know if I will be much help. My dh is severely Disney impaired and will only go to MK for Enight or the Christmas party :rolleyes:

He loves MGM and Epcot though.

Just tell him to humor you :) Or give him one free day to watch a game or something at ESPN on the Boardwalk while you pop over to the MK.

I love doing MK solo :teeth:

My boyfriend (26) and I (22) are going to WDW Oct. 25. He's not as into Disney as I am but I got him in the spirit a little by showing him the Birnbaum's guide and asking him which rides he would like to go on. He showed interest in Pirates of the Carribean & Hall of Presidents. :) So maybe ask your husband what he is interested in most.

Disney also does a promo video for adults/no kids travelers that shows couples of multiple ages enjoying all the parks...that might help, too. I also think MK sounds really romantic & charming...the castle, the little shops, the music and color. Good luck!

:Pinkbounc

I agree with nativetxn. Last time we went to WDW, DH never went to MK. I went solo while he golfed one day, and we both had a wonderful time. I guess you could say I've "given up" on getting him to go to the MK, but I enjoy it so much more solo than dragging around someone trying to put on a happy face but not really enjoying himself. And since I don't enjoy golf, and wouldn't like being encouraged to go, we're both happy.

DH had no interest in going to WDW our first trip. He had no idea what it really was about! Ten minutes in to Epcot (our first park) he was totally hooked!

To lure a reluctant partner to WDW you may have to play upon his weaknesses. :) Does he like fine dining????? Focus on fabulous restaurants like California Grill, Flying Fish, V&As. Does he like thrill rides? Focus on rides like Test Track, ToT, and RnRC. Does he like to golf? WDW has some excellent golf courses. Does he like to relax? Maybe some spa treatments at GF or the Disney Institue.

Build some of his interests into the trip, and maybe he will be more receptive to the other aspects of WDW!

Have fun!

:earsgirl: Krissy

DH had no interest in going to WDW our first trip. He had no idea what it really was about! Ten minutes in to Epcot (our first park) he was totally hooked!

That sounds like my DH!!! Now he's the one that suggested our trip in October. :p I think what really helped is that I made a few solo trips and just raved about what a good time I had on my own. His curiosity got the better of him. ;)

one thing that may work is take him to the MK in the evening. It is really romantic then, when a lot of little ones are gone. Stroll through places off the beaten path. once he sees the twinkling lights on main street....oh..to be there right now.

Depends a lot on what your DH likes. Is he into sports, or is he a gadget guy (like me)? Does he like thrill rides or educational tours?

Either way, I would probably not take him on "Its a Small World" for his very first ride.

Most guys like stuff like the Ultimate Home Theatre experience in Innoventions at Epcot. If he's into educational stuff, gadgets, or computers then he'll probably like Epcot's Future World. If he likes reading about other cultures, reads National Geographic, or likes travel, then he will probably like Epcot's World Showcase.

If he likes movies, TV, soaps, or Hollywood, then try MGM Studios.

If he's into camping, nature, pets, then try Animal Kingdom.

I would avoid MK the first day until he gets into the Disney "spirit". When you do go to MK, try Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, and Space Mountain. To get him into the spirit of being a kid again, try Tom Sawyer's Island. Make sure he runs over the barrel bridges and goes in the caves. That'll get any guy remembering his good childhood moments. Then go on some of the more fantasy-oriented rides like Buzz Lightyear, Peter Pan, etc. He might also like the Diamond Horseshoe Revue. Now the hard part - try to get him to eat something new! I'd recommend the Corral Reef sandwich at Columbia Harbor House. It is hummus and brocolli slaw on olive-loaf toast. Sounds horrible and tastes absolutely delicious. I have never met anyone who didn't like this sandwich once they tried it.

Mmmm - This is making me hungry.

Bye for now - I'm going over to MK myself for a Corral Reef sandwich!

If I can stick my 2 cents in - I wanted to go to Disney for our honeymoon (10/2000). I have been there numerous time but my future husband was never there - "it's for kids". My fiance at the time was reluctant (an understatement) but agreed. Well fast forward to the present and we have been back to Disney not only in 2000, but in 2001 and we leave for our next trip in just over 40 days. How did that happen????? My now husband insisted. He wants (budget allowing) us to take a trip to Disney every year for the rest of our life. By the time our honeymoon was over he wanted to relocate permanently down there.

So.... don't worry - things have a funny way of working out!!!!

My significant other claims that WDW is "Hell on Earth" ..... so next week I'm leaving him home and meeting a friend from the DIS at WDW instead !

Thank you everyone for your replies. They've all been very helpful

LOL, I think that I have convinced my dh to give MK a try. We're going to hit "Hell on Earth" the last weekend of this month. I think that I am more excited than he is. HOPEFULLY he'll have fun. Last time we went to Orlando, we were going to do MK, but at the last minute went to IOA. That was fun, but there's something about MK that keeps pulling me back in!

I wish that they sold either one or two day park hoppers, but.......oh well. I've always wanted to try MGM, but is there enough there to keep us busy all day? I've been told no by some.

Thanks again everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter