Trip Report- Aloha from Kauai & Aulani-Now with Pics!

Thanks for taking the time to read about our trip!

If I were to do it again, I would probably do Aulani first and then Kauai. I think it depends on your travel party. I was afraid if we did Aulani first, our DD9 would be bummed in Kauai. Being a Disney Junkie, I knew she would love the character interactions, slides, and lazy river and I knew our condo in Kauai wouldn't have any of those. We have been back for a couple of weeks and she talks about a lot of Aulani experiences and mostly just the chickens, snorkeling, and Lappert's ice cream from Kauai!

I am not sure if I can name the photographer I used on these boards, but if you do a google search for Waialua Wedding Photographer, she is the first result. We are extremely happy with our photos. I booked a mini session which included 30 minutes of photography and 15 edited photos. I believe the cost was $250. I looked into using the photographer at Aulani, but I wanted the photos taken offsite, so they wouldn't work out for us. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out how to upload photos to my posts, so I can't share any pics.

Thanks!!

Thanks for taking the time to read about our trip!

If I were to do it again, I would probably do Aulani first and then Kauai. I think it depends on your travel party. I was afraid if we did Aulani first, our DD9 would be bummed in Kauai. Being a Disney Junkie, I knew she would love the character interactions, slides, and lazy river and I knew our condo in Kauai wouldn't have any of those. We have been back for a couple of weeks and she talks about a lot of Aulani experiences and mostly just the chickens, snorkeling, and Lappert's ice cream from Kauai!

we did it aulani first then Kauai, I think we would have been too exhausted at the end of our trip for Aulani. We were meeting family on the Garden Isle so it was like a different vacation once we got there. Only a few comparisons of the size of the pool or slide. Also DS8 could surf in front of our condo in Kauai, so that entertained him for a week.

Well kind of makes me want to just do Kauai. I am a hiker and biker so thing that is place for me but family would probably kill me if we did Hawaii and no Aulani!!!

We did a similar trip in April. We spent 6 nights at Aulani followed by 2 nights in Kauai, also in a rented condo at Hanalei Bay resort. I really wish I would have given us more time in Kauai. I fell in love with the island and really hope to make it back some day to do all of the things that we didn't have time for!

Me too!! I want to do Kauai and Maui again, but not sure I can go all the way to Hawaii and not go back to Oahu too. And if I do Oahu, I'll want to do Aulani.....sigh. I'm going back in five years (milestone birthday), if not before!!!

Well kind of makes me want to just do Kauai. I am a hiker and biker so thing that is place for me but family would probably kill me if we did Hawaii and no Aulani!!!
Yeah, it sounds like Kauai would definitely be your place.

Yeah, it sounds like Kauai would definitely be your place.

Kauai has great hiking (although with an infant we did not do much this time). haven't biked there.

Thanks for sharing your report sound like an awesome trip. Heading to Hawaii in 30 days for a split stay as well (Big Island, Aulani, Kauai) Where is the secret beach?

I'm planning a family trip in 2019 june. I went for the first time in 2010 and did Maui, North Shore Turtle Bay and the Norwegian Pride of America Cruise. I thought at the time it would be a one and done trip coming from East coast and working in the Carribbean a lot of the year BUT I was blown away by the beauty of the islands. I've been back twice more since then and experienced Aulani and Kauai in 2015 . I love Kauai more than any other area so far. We rented a condo in Hanalei Bay resort for a week after spending a week in Aulani. Decided that I had to bring my grandson and my son's family to experience everything Hawaii has to offer.

This will probably be the only family trip we will take as it is an expensive trip and I can only bring them all once. We plan a 4 day stint on the North Shore in a condo at Turtle Bay , then 5 nights at Aulani. We will then spend the next week at Hanalei Bay resort followed by a week on the big island in the Mauna lani villas. I have never stayed on the Big island but stopped as part of the cruise. We found condo's were a cheaper alternative to hotel rooms.

Don't look forward to long flights but we found it is great to stop in Vegas refresh and then get to Oahu with limited jet lag. I was pretty good until we flew home and then it took my body a week to recover and get in my natural sleeping patterns,

My husband is not a beach person at all but he is an avid hiker and thrill seeker so it was paradise to him.

Day 9- Pool Day

We had about an hour before we needed to meet our photographer, so we had some snacks to hold us over until our late dinner reservation. When it was time, we got dressed and walked to Secret Beach. I guess we looked wedding-like bc everyone was telling us Congrats. There was a wedding going on at the beach and the Paradise Cove Luau was starting. (That luau had way more people than the one we went to!) Our photographer was great. She took lots of natural shots as well as posed and did a variety of backgrounds. The session lasted about 30 minutes and then we walked to the Four Seasons for dinner at Noe.

!

Do you mind if I ask who the photographer was? Your plan is our plan, exactly. Won't do a vow renewal but will do photos after we get all done up at the spa.

Secret beach is just past the Four Seasons Resort. You will see a parking lot for Paradise Cove Luau. If you look at the fence at the back of the parking lot, you will see an opening with a sandy path. Just follow it to the beach.

I think the studio may be okay for 2A/2K if the kids are comfortable sharing a queen size sleeper sofa. When the sofa was opened, it almost touched the table and chairs. The cushions and coffee table also took up a fair amount of space while the bed was set up.

We used a wedding photographer from the North Shore. (I don't think I am allowed to recommend someone by name on here.) I would do a google search and see whose photos appeal to you and your budget.

Update: I have finally added pictures to this trip report! Please don't mind the different sizes. It took my a bit to figure it out. As for our next destination, we have decided to visit Alaska!

Wow. What a wonderful 15th anniversary trip. I love the breathtaking views but your "wedding" pics were the best!!!!

Happy 15th! And you just gave me a ding-ding moment. We're heading there in March, and it's our 20th anniversary. The photography thing would be perfect. May I ask how long / how much the make up session is? I'm not a make up girl.

May I ask how long / how much the make up session is?
I think it was around $100 and took about an hour to do. I was happy with how natural it looked. I looked like myself, but had even skin tone and wasn't shiny!

Great trip report and happy anniversary. Can't think of a better place to celebrate it than Hawaii.

Day 3- Na Pali Coast Tour

The main reason I wanted to visit Kauai was to see the gorgeous Na Pali Coast. I booked through Na Pali Catamaran out of Hanalei about 6 weeks before we arrived. I researched a lot bc DD gets motion sick pretty easily and the Na Pali Coast is pretty rough. Their boat is designed to fit in the sea caves and help minimize the sea conditions. We all took Dramamine (just in case) before we headed into Hanalei for our 6:45am meeting time. They gave us a dry bag for our belongings and drove us to the bay where we waded out to the boat. The north shore departure gets you to the Coast in 15 minutes instead of 2+ hours from the south. Going out, the sea weren't too bad. We all stood and just looked at the coast in awe. Seeing the jagged mountains, numerous waterfalls, and sea caves, made the trek from Florida worth it! Sea conditions were so good, we were even able to go into the open ceiling cave. After 90 minutes or so, we stopped to snorkel while the captain set lunch up. The first thing we saw when we jumped in was a turtle! DD9 loves snorkeling, so we stuck together and saw a ton of beautiful fish while hubby swam off to take pics with the gopro.

Lunch was a large sandwich (I chose turkey, DD had roast beef, and hubby had ham), bags of chips and cookies, cut pineapple, and Hawaiian sodas and water. It tasted really good after an hour of snorkeling. The wind had picked up, so returning to Hanalei was crazy. It was rough to the point that the front of the boat went under and the spray soaked us. It was great fun and nobody got seasick!
View attachment 265493
Hanalei Bay
View attachment 265494
NaPali Coast
View attachment 265495
View attachment 265496

We got back to Hanalei and headed back to the condo to shower and relax. We all fell asleep and woke up around dinner time. I wanted to try Kalypso, so we headed back to Hanalei. I had Mahi tacos and hubby had an ahi sandwich. The MaiTais were really good and the Warriors game was on, so it made for a fun atmosphere. After dinner we had our first shave ice at Jojo's. Kiddo had 3 flavors and we shared Passion Orange.

Hi could you give more details of the sail? I would love to do a catamaran sail , how long? cost? did you book through Aulani?
thanks.!

We took a catamaran cruise on Kauai, not Oahu, so unfortunately I can't help with one near Aulani. I am sure someone on this board has taken one on Oahu though!

Congratulations on your 15th! We are going for our 15th anniversary this month on the 17th. Our son is also 9 years old and is very excited. It's everyone's first time to Hawaii.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!