Trip report, with a focus on accessibility and allergies

Sakurachaek

Mouseketeer
So I recently spent 2 days in Disneysea and 1 in Disneyland. I’m a wheelchair user and have several allergies. There are 3 of us, but other two don’t like thrill rides.

I’ll start by saying Disneysea is just incredible. The theming is amazing and it feels like no other park.

I stayed in the Disney ambassador hotel from the 18th September to the 22nd. Best hotel definitely, great theming, easy shuttle bus to the parks.

Day 1: our arrival day. We got to the hotel mid evening and went for dinner at Sherwood Garden at the Disneyland hotel. Eventually they managed to make some food for me, but they did say the salad was gluten free when it wasn’t. Alright plain chicken and fish with vegetables though, because they couldn’t check the special dietary meal for non top 28 allergens. Not very Disney and a bit disappointing… but expected from what I read online. The Disneyland hotel is lovely.

Day 2: Disneysea! Today we struggled getting breakfast and struggled getting lunch, meaning we had to have a sit down meal and didn’t get into the parks till 3. We went on 20,000 leagues under the sea. They wouldn’t let me go on alone even though I explained I could walk and evacuate. Very irritating.
We went on Toy Story Mania and then had dinner at Magellan’s in the secret room which was awesome, if very slow. They made us food there, which was a relief. Afterwards we explored Fortress Explorations and the land.

Day 3: rest, checked out the Encore exhibition in Ikspirai.

Day 4: Disneysea again. Got in much earlier today. Started with getting a fast pass to Journey to the centre of the earth . Because they still wouldn’t let me go on by myself, I had to get a fast pass then stand for about 5ish minutes without my chair to go on. Made me feel pretty ill but mostly worth it, was a fun ride. The disability discrimination here is a really annoying part of an amazing park. That and being quizzed at the front of every ride, it’s much less efficient than USA. Went to Ariel’s playground to see the grotto and explored mermaids lagoon , went on Whirlpool (so much better than teacups, you really feel the force).
Then Sinbad Storybook and explore Arabian coast.
Had lunch at Casbah. The special menu was pretty bad, a vegetable stew. Luckily we had GF bread.
Next, Soarin’, ToT and American waterfront.
‘Dinner’ at cape cod cookoff (fries and a salad cup.)
Raging spirits and lost river delta (FP for 19:45). Had to stand again, because they wouldn’t let me on my own but it was a fun ride.
Then Aquatopia and Nemo to finish off a great day.

Day 5: our last park day at Disneyland.

Caught the Spooky boo parade, was really cute. Then explored Toontown, got a peach Minnie ice lolly (too sweet, but cute) did
Beauty and the beast, which is highly impressive.
Dinner in Queen of hearts banquet hall: managed to get GF chicken and rice. Best restaurant in any park in terms of theming, bar Magellan’s.
Pooh’s hunny hunt,
Then on monsters Inc
And ending with a walkthrough of Cinderella castle.

Day 6: got breakfast at chef Mickey’s, cute, but bad food.

So in conclusion and a warning: if you’re a disabled person travelling on your own, you can’t go on anything. This is a giant shame, being treated like a child, even though I am a disabled adult who can evacuate and walk alone. When I asked they said it was just the rules.

Not blaming the CMs, but as a park wide rule this is ridiculous. (I’ve been on Space mountain, thunder mountain etc on my own in USA). The food thing is a giant pain as well. It’s so difficult.

But, these really are amazing parks and must visits, even if they’re about 20 years behind on disability and allergies. If you have allergies, really try and book Magellan’s, and get into Queen of Hearts on your Disneyland day.

Does Tokyo Disney have any kind if disability card or pass. My teenage grandson is autistic & although he is OK most of the time, he doesn't do well standing in long lines. He had a complete melt down at WDW in the long lines. We're a bit concerned on how he will do in Japan.

Does Tokyo Disney have any kind if disability card or pass. My teenage grandson is autistic & although he is OK most of the time, he doesn't do well standing in long lines. He had a complete melt down at WDW in the long lines. We're a bit concerned on how he will do in Japan.
Yes they have a pass, you apply at the guest services, might need a doctor’s letter or something else, I used my disabled parking badge as proof.

Only thing is he would have to have a companion going on rides/queuing at all times when using the pass unfortunately.

Yes they have a pass, you apply at the guest services, might need a doctor’s letter or something else, I used my disabled parking badge as proof.

Only thing is he would have to have a companion going on rides/queuing at all times when using the pass unfortunately.
Thank you for your quick response. Do you know how the pass can be used in his case (eg: can he rest out of the line until it's our turn then rejoin us with out being considered a line jumper, go through a shorter line, etc. If a separate line, how many people can accompany him?

Thank you for your quick response. Do you know how the pass can be used in his case (eg: can he rest out of the line until it's our turn then rejoin us with out being considered a line jumper, go through a shorter line, etc. If a separate line, how many people can accompany him?

https://media2.tokyodisneyresort.jp/home/download/bfree/informationbook_en.pdf This is the link to the page for the current information booklet. This is the portion from that booklet in regards to what you ask:

Eligible Guests: Holders of a physical disability certificate, mental disability certificate or certificate for the cognitively challenged. ●The eligible Guest must be accompanied by a member of their party. Persons with visual, mental, or developmental disabilities must be accompanied by an able-bodied member of their party to experience an attraction or a Disney Character greeting. For details, please refer to the pages regarding attractions, entertainment facilities, and Disney Character greeting facilities in the Tokyo Disney Resort Information Book.

Each member of your party requiring assistance must register in order to use this service. Please contact a Cast Member at the attraction. Please present a disability certificate along with all of your party’s Park tickets.

Please present the Park ticket used to register for the Disability Access Service to the Cast Member at the attraction or Disney Character greeting location. Guests who have difficulty standing in line for a long period will be able to wait at a separate area, along with their party, instead of in the queue until the designated time (you may not be able to experience the shows or presentations at the queue area). You will not be able to experience another attraction or Disney Character greeting while using this service.- Your picture will be taken for verification during registration.- This service is not intended to shorten your wait time at an attraction or a Disney Character greeting location.- Depending on the degree of assistance needed or specific conditions at an attraction, your wait time may be longer than that of the Guests standing in line.- Guests will not be able to experience an attraction if they do not meet the boarding requirements.

In practice, what this meant for us in 2018 when I visited with someone requiring disability access, is that we received a booklet and at each attraction my mom wanted to experience, they filled in a return time. If the wait time was 90 minutes, our return time was 80 minutes later, leaving us free to wander the park and leave me and my wife free to do another ride or go eat something. As my mom didn't go on any ride's alone, we didn't have any issues with the companion rule that states the person need to be accompanied on the rides. In general, my mom was very impressed and happy with the service.

Some rides are a challenge to experience though, as for example, Tower of Terror requires that the disabled guest be able to walk without assistance in order to be experienced. The same rule is in effect for 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea. Over at Big Thunder Mountain, stairs had to be navigated in order to get on the ride. The reason for the have to walk requirement at Tower of Terror is that in case of an emergency evacuation mid-ride, guests have to leave through an emergency exit hatch, followed by a staircase back down. It is different than the US, but that's how Tokyo Disney operates in regards to local laws and practices.

When I used to work at Disneyland Paris, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril along with Peter Pan's Flight had a hard rule that you have to be able to walk the length of the boarding platform unassisted in order to ride. This was relaxed recently and guests who came from the US and were used to WDW and Disneyland letting them ride everything were quit shocked. As I was one of the great english speaker, I often had to be the bearer of bad news. As I realized later, when I travel to another country, I have to be the one to adapt myself to the local rules and regulations, not the opposite. When I visit chinese amusement parks and a ride I can ride safely in the US has a "no guest above 270 lbs" hard rule where the operator takes a look at me and tell me I am too fat and tall to ride, I can't ride!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter