Tripod in the Parks

bfost87

Northern DIS'er
Can you guys let me know what tripods you've taken in the Parks and if you've ever had one turned away due to size?

Well, current policy is the 'pod must collapse to fit within a standard size backpack. But the rule IS subjective and security has fair discretion in what they allow. One of the bigger Bogens, for example, are just too long to fit like expected. Most "travel" tripods (averaging ~20") should be OK. Mefoto brand is popular but there are a lot of others similar. Especially ones where you can reverse the head.

I took a 3LT Punks Corey into WDW and had no problems. As KVH mentioned, the rule is subjective, so your mileage may vary with whichever tripod you bring in.

Thanks everyone, I've got just an Amazon Basics tripod which is about 25 inches when collapsed. Just wondering if I need to look at a new one.

Thanks everyone, I've got just an Amazon Basics tripod which is about 25 inches when collapsed. Just wondering if I need to look at a new one.
I think you should look into a new one because it's an AmazonBasics tripod, quite aside from any other concern. :)

Cheaper tripods don't damp out vibration well, so things like shutter shock and, on a DSLR, mirror slap, or even just people moving around it and ground vibration cause troubles. I prefer 3LT, RRS, and Gitzo, all in carbon fiber, but those are spendy tripods. A Manfrotto 190 aluminum model is quite sturdy though, I have one that I keep around because it just works, great for AF targets and the like.

What are you going to use the tripod for, though? Basic stabilized video of parades, or actual long exposure shooting, or just group photos when you're in them? I use a Gorillapod at WDW because it's all I'd ever want, I just hang it off of or slap it on something nearby and it does the trick.

i took a monopod with little legs i was going to use as a tripod after reading it was ok . first night at hollywood studios they made me give it to the bag check in at the front :(

i took a monopod with little legs i was going to use as a tripod after reading it was ok . first night at hollywood studios they made me give it to the bag check in at the front :(

There is a pretty fine line between a monopod and a selfie stick. I wondered how Disney could allow one and not the other on their rules. I’m not surprised you had to check it in and now assume mine would be too.

I was able to bring in a Velbon Ultra Stick Super 8 monopod into Disneyland. It's easy to carry because it collapses down to 8 inches.

Security asked me if it extended and I replied that is was for a real camera (which I had) an not a phone. They've been ok with it. I also had a fluid head attached, which may have helped. I think their concern is that you're not holding it up in the air and not using it on a ride.

Monopods and tripods are in the list of approved items, but the security staff gets the last word. Check the Property Rules section on the Disney web site, https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/ or https://disneyland.disney.go.com/park-rules/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!