Trouble Deciding on Deluxe Resort

You really can't go wrong! But I would recommend either Beach Club or Poly. Beach Club if your kids love to swim / if you're planning one hotel/pool day during your trip. Stormalong Bay is awesome and blew my mind as an 8 year old. If you're going to be spending a lot of time at MK, the Poly has awesome theming.

There's probably one factor or another that will make a difference to you and help you choose which resort is best for your family. For example, we always stay at the Contemporary because my husband hates to wake up early but I like to rope drop, so we compromise that he sleeps as late as possible and then we zip over and do the 5 min walk to MK. I have a friend who only stays at GF because of the spa. All the hotels are great but look for the unique factor that makes a difference to you!

Old Key West in a 2BR is very nice. You should have plenty of room for everyone and the wonderful boat option to DS. We found it to be a very quiet and relaxing resort.

They all offer something, it just depends on what park you want to be close to. If you enjoy MK, go to one of the monorail resorts or WL. If you enjoy Epcot and HS, BW,YC, BC and Swan/Dolphin are the way to go. I've stayed at all of them except WL, we stay at the Epcot resorts now because you can't beat being able to walk to two parks.

I can only speak for the one I've stayed at so far, and that's the Grand Floridian. It was my dream to stay there and it lived up to if not surpassed everything I'd hoped it would be. We'll be returning there in 2019 because we fell in love with the place. Between now and then, I'll get to experience Kidani Village at AKV, so I'll have two deluxes to compare.

At some point I'd like to stay at one of the Epcot area resorts too (preferably Beach Club).

I know this. I'm not likely to ever go back to moderate (never stayed value). I'm hooked on renting DVC points for deluxe stays!

We stayed at GF, Poly, WL and AKL. If money were no object, it’d be GF for us every time. But second choice is WL, third AK and fourth Poly. WL is so convenient to MK, and the scenery is so transporting—it’s like setting foot in a portal to a different world from orlando. I could sit by that stream flowing through the lobby for hours

Our family has stayed in only value & moderate resorts. This next trip we are wanting to try out something in the deluxe category. What is everyone's favorite pick for a deluxe stay? We are a family of 4(kids age 12 & 15).

:welcome: to DISboards!

Here is another vote for the Boardwalk. DW and I have stayed there many times. Can't beat the location and we love the theming. All of the rooms have a balcony and many of the rooms have nice quiet views.

Like many previous posters I feel it comes down to location and which is your favorite park, MK or Epcot.

If it is MK then one of the monorail resorts is the best choice. I have on my list of things to do a stay at the Contemporary to be able to walk to MK. Though the Poly has great theming and we really liked the landscaping. The GF, while quite grand, just felt a bit too... formal... to be walking around in casual vacation clothes.

If Epcot or DHS, then one of the Epcot resorts. They are all very nice. If a pool is important then you can't go wrong with the BC/YC and Stormalong Bay.

Good luck in your search!

We have stayed in all of them and we prefer the MK area resorts. It is magical to me to see the castle from our resort and to walk, take a boat or ride the monorail to the MK. Perhaps the Poly might be my absolute favourite, but it is really really close. The GF and CR tower are just wonderful as well.

I agree with Babsy, I think the MK resort area is my fav too. There is something magical about seeing the castle from your resort. And watching the fireworks and Electric Water Parade from the resort.

Us too. We have loved all the resorts we've stayed at, but prefer the MK resorts as you can't beat seeing the castle every day :wizard:.

:tinker:Great advice from you all, thank you! Our favorite park is definitely MK & we usually spend most of our days there. Pools are important to us as well as our girls love to swim. The Polynesian has always been a dream of mine so I think that's what I'm leaning toward. Love the look of the pool area at the Beach Club too so I'll have some thinking to do. Can't wait till the 19th to book for 2019!!!

Sounds like the Poly would be a perfect fit! We've stayed at both Poly & BC and while BC is nice, the Poly is our favorite. We are in the minority, but we like the Poly pool over SAB. Nothing wrong with SAB as it's a nice pool, we just weren't wow'd by it and prefer others. Good luck choosing, but I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter which resort you choose as they are all great in their own way :).

I think the vibe at the Poly is very relaxed and tropical. The Grand is pretty darn awesome, IMO, and the pools are excellent.

I agree! :cloud9:

I have been to all of them as well, and I think what you'll find is you never know until you try them. I personally am a fan of the Epcot resorts for many of the reasons already stated, and for me, the variety of restaurants (including those at the S&D which are outstanding) make them all the more heads above the others. I also have found the MK a bit busier than the others, but the ease of just walking or hopping on/off the monorail is a benefit I see winning a lot of points.

That being said, one of my favourite resorts of ANY level is WL. The size, feel and theming is just sooooo comfortable (to me at least)

Our family has stayed in only value & moderate resorts. This next trip we are wanting to try out something in the deluxe category. What is everyone's favorite pick for a deluxe stay? We are a family of 4(kids age 12 & 15).

My top three:
1. Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view for the animals and unique vibe
2. Polynesian for close to MK tropical
3. Beach Club for awesome pool and Epcot DHS access

All three would be great for your kid's ages. It would be fun to look at all of the deluxe resorts and decide together.

I don't think you can make a bad choice at the deluxes! I've never had a bad stay in one. Wilderness lodge is breathtaking and super relaxing. Animal kingdom is way cool although location not so much. Yacht and Beach's location is perfect and storm along bay is wonderful (Boardwalk nice too but pool is way better at Yacht). Poly and the Grand are also beautiful and right on the monorail.

But for me, my deluxe of choice is the Contemporary. Somewhat driven by nostalgia for sure, although I have to say that the monorail cruising through the lobby is as cool to me at 50 as it was at 5!!! Give me a tower room there any day - waking up to the sun rising over bay lake, the smell of muffins baking in the lobby, the sound of the "celebrate with Mickey" song from Chef Mickey...nothing like it. And a quick elevator ride to the Cali Grill, great shopping on property, access to the other resorts via monorail, walk to MK, rent boats. Damn I love that place. Miss it so much....

I think your teens would love beach club. Lots to do nearby if they want to walk around and go back and forth from Epcot or Hollywoodstudios.

I would decide what's important to you and your family when deciding what resort to stay at. Rather then deciding just based on what others like, find out information about the resort and which fits in best with our family. I definitely have a favorite but I like to visit all of them and/or do split stays.

Are you big swimmers? Is a deep pool important to you?
-> YC/BC is a great choice if having an awesome pool is important. Some of the other deluxe pools are not deep at all, which gets on my nerves.

Do you like being the first or only resort for the buses?
-> YC is first for drop off and pick-up before BC. GF and WL will share a bus at some spots. Poly and Cont. share buses., AKL and AKV share buses and AKV is picked up first, etc.

Do you like to have alternative transportation besides the buses? Which park do you spend the most time at? Is it better to jump the monorail to MK or walk on over to Epcot or boat to Hollywood Studios?

Is room size important?
-> WL has some the smallest rooms for a deluxe.

Is a balcony important?
-> Most YC rooms have a full balcony, BC has some full, some Juliet, Poly only has 1 level that has balconies, etc.

Restaurants: Are you into quick service? Do you get mugs?
-> Does the resort have a QS you like? Is it convenient if you get mugs?

Are you going in the summer when there is often thunderstorms and having a room that is not in a building connected to the main building a drawback? GF and Poly have outer buildings that you can find aren't fun to get to when it's thundering, lightening, and pouring rain.

Just some things to think about.

I would decide what's important to you and your family when deciding what resort to stay at. Rather then deciding just based on what others like, find out information about the resort and which fits in best with our family. I definitely have a favorite but I like to visit all of them and/or do split stays.

Are you big swimmers? Is a deep pool important to you?
-> YC/BC is a great choice if having an awesome pool is important. Some of the other deluxe pools are not deep at all, which gets on my nerves.

Do you like being the first or only resort for the buses?
-> YC is first for drop off and pick-up before BC. GF and WL will share a bus at some spots. Poly and Cont. share buses., AKL and AKV share buses and AKV is picked up first, etc.

Do you like to have alternative transportation besides the buses? Which park do you spend the most time at? Is it better to jump the monorail to MK or walk on over to Epcot or boat to Hollywood Studios?

Is room size important?
-> WL has some the smallest rooms for a deluxe.

Is a balcony important?
-> Most YC rooms have a full balcony, BC has some full, some Juliet, Poly only has 1 level that has balconies, etc.

Restaurants: Are you into quick service? Do you get mugs?
-> Does the resort have a QS you like? Is it convenient if you get mugs?

Are you going in the summer when there is often thunderstorms and having a room that is not in a building connected to the main building a drawback? GF and Poly have outer buildings that you can find aren't fun to get to when it's thundering, lightening, and pouring rain.

Just some things to think about.

All excellent points to consider, thank you!

Have you considered DVC and Renting points. A studio at the Poly on Points could be cheaper this way. You would get the kitchette and you would be right on the water.

We've stayed at Poly and Beach Club. While the Poly has a special place in our hearts, we enjoyed BC the best. We love Epcot and the Int'l gateway entrance was so quick to get to and through. Poly was great; the lava pool is fantastic. We were surprised though that it still took a while to get to MK from the resort due to the monorail stops.

We like to stay on the monorail loops.

CR - walking distance to MK; one stop away from the monorail to Epcot; closer boat ride to Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness for dining
Poly - walking distance to TTC to get monorail to Epcot or MK and ferry to MK; boat ride to MK from the Poly pier
GF - one stop away from the MK; boat ride to MK from the GF pier

For our 5th trip (which was just did) I decided to upgrade from moderate to deluxe and the girls picked the Animal Kingdom Lodge which they loved. Seeing a young giraffe chase its mother around the savanna is worth a lot but for our next trip the girls have decided that they can no longer go moderate and are working me for the Poly. They want to be on the monorail.

Yacht/Beach Club are my favorites. Not only are they beautiful but the location to two parks can't be beat. Also, the pool is the best on property IMHO. The Yacht is my favorite of the two if for no other reason than you almost always have a full balcony.

Have you considered renting points from a Disney Vacation Club member? It is a great way to save money on a delux resort. There are several agencies that match people up with Disney Vacation Club owners :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter