*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Given those circumstances Allen I can see your point. For each of us, we have our needs and wants. Sometimes going with one first, then changing due to the other.

I'd like to upgrade to 5er, but the things I want in a 5er (The reasons I would upgrade) make the weight of the trailer pushing my safe guidelines. Which has made me stick with the TT I have now.

Some of us have changed trucks and trailers multiple times, which is not my liking so it'll have to line up nicely before I change.

For each of us, we have our needs and wants.

This is SO true. I would have much preferred a FW and a crew-cab pick-up for our style of camping. With 3 kids and a dog, however, I needed three rows of seating in the tow vehicle, so we continue to baby our '06 Suburban 2500 in hopes of it getting us at least another 5 years (when the oldest graduates from high school).

I have seen family size, hobbies, garage height and even neighborhood association rules be the determining factor in choices people have made on RV and tow vehicle types. The only really bad ones are the ones that just did what someone said without thinking about their own circumstances! If you have your reasons, and you know your reasons, you are better off in making your decisions than many of those I see come onto these boards caught between a rock and a hard place (often the rock being the light duty SUV they can't afford to sell and the 9,000 pound trailer they purchased and just realized it can't tow!).

But, but, but, the Camping World salesman said it would tow the new camper just fine :tongue:

In my case, the worthless Camping World salesmen never smiled

Or asked if they could help

Or gave me any prices

But, but, but, the Camping World salesman said it would tow the new camper just fine :tongue:

I remember when we were first getting into the scene and visiting rv shows. Math is a strength for me, so I took to the rating equations pretty easily. The number of salespersons who told me their enormous rigs were 1/2 ton towable was mind boggling. I couldn't believe how quickly I learned to never trust anyone in the industry. Sad!

In my case, the worthless Camping World salesmen never smiled

Or asked if they could help

Or gave me any prices

I guess we were lucky tiggerdad. We have purchased 2 campers from them, got a fair deal with friendly salesmen. Their service is a totally different subject though.

Last edited:

Looks like it’s time to switch over to the Pete.

I hooked up the Pete before we left, I wanted to see what the turning radius looked like. And with the fifthwheel slide all the way back It still didn't have enough clearane for turning sharp. I' Going to have to move the hitch on the Pete back some more. Now being able to get in and out of these tight loops that's another story.

I hooked up the Pete before we left, I wanted to see what the turning radius looked like. And with the fifthwheel slide all the way back It still didn't have enough clearane for turning sharp. I' Going to have to move the hitch on the Pete back some more. Now being able to get in and out of these tight loops that's another story.

Looking at used HDT's and singling it out to shorten overall length. This way we will still be able to hit smaller places. Looking like HDT would just be for towing and not daily use. Right now it is a work in progress, working the finances and all to see about making it happen.

Screenshot_20180211-121009.jpg

I cant single mine up because I work it but, once I slide my rails on my Pete back I will be able to pull both my camper and my 53 Reefer trailer. Being able to turn and not have any clearace issues I will not worry about getting into some tight spots as much, still will be a show for any @tiggerdad's around me. Plus I've been looking for a full set of fenders for the truck.

On another note, I'm still having problems with my trailer brakes on my camper, I have the gain set on ten in my F450 but still not having no kind of braking power with the trailer brakes, feels like the truck is doing all the braking, today is a Fort day, I'm going to get under there and see if I can adjust them. FB_IMG_1518369627957.jpg
Feels like I have this going on haha,

Randy,

Does your 450 have the integrated controller? My 08 had it and I felt the same way with my little old 8000lb 5er. I replaced all the brake drums, magnets and pads on the trailer thinking the magnets were bad. Checked all the wiring to make sure I didn't have ground issues. Never made it any better.

My 2011 has the integrated controller and it seems weak, but it will lock the new trailer wheels if you stand on the brakes hard AND fast enough. It seems to work with a combination of inertia and pressure. If you are going to keep the 450, I'd stick a Prodigy on it and forget it.

j

My 2011 has the integrated controller and it seems weak, but it will lock the new trailer wheels if you stand on the brakes hard AND fast enough. It seems to work with a combination of inertia and pressure.
j

This apparently is the issue. It applies brakes depending on the pressure of the brake pedal and the sensed decel. This is usually why people say they can use the brake controller independently and it will lock the brakes on the trailer, but doesn't feel as strong when using the truck brake pedal. It's designed to actually let the engine do the majority of the slow decel, thus saving on the brakes and uses the brakes more on the sudden needs which it determines by the pressure on the brake pedal.

Based on this I quit exploring mine but will use the trailer brake controller when i have a long straight away to slow down like an off ramp or something like that.

Well I raised the camper up enough with the 6 point level system to get the tires off the ground, spun the wheel and went like the wheel of fortune wheel, so I adjusted the brakes till I felt some pressure on them, so the trip home will till the tale.

@tiggerdad I read that forum I appreciate it, I just want something to happen when someone cuts you off on the road, yall know what I mean. I might do like @Teamubr said and install something aftermarket if this doesn't help any.

View attachment 301724

I cant single mine up because I work it but, once I slide my rails on my Pete back I will be able to pull both my camper and my 53 Reefer trailer. Being able to turn and not have any clearace issues I will not worry about getting into some tight spots as much, still will be a show for any @tiggerdad's around me. Plus I've been looking for a full set of fenders for the truck.

On another note, I'm still having problems with my trailer brakes on my camper, I have the gain set on ten in my F450 but still not having no kind of braking power with the trailer brakes, feels like the truck is doing all the braking, today is a Fort day, I'm going to get under there and see if I can adjust them. View attachment 301727
Feels like I have this going on haha,

Hope you brakes work better after the adjustment. I realize you can not single your as it is also your work truck. We are looking at both, leaving it for hauling either a golf cart or smart car. At this time, just doing a lot of research.

Anyone ever pull a Hummer H2 with a 40ft diesel pusher? I bought a 1999 American tradition and am going to pull a 2004 Hummer. Looking for any advice.

Well the trip home was a little better after I adjusted the brakes the 5er, but just west of Tallahassee the bolts that hold the fuel cooler down broke again (had this happen last year) made it home ok just was loosen boost and power on the hills. This happening again really has me ready to get the Pete set up to pull the 5er.

I did averge 6.25 mpg down and back home,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!