*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I mean our TT freezer was not big enough to buy and store stuff that was not for the planned meals for the trip. Our current rig with the residential fridge is a different story.

How long are you out? Can you buy everything at the start and freeze before you leave.

But not sure why you would do this? When camping you sometimes have to adjust how you shop and eat. But we find even for a long weekend for four we can fill the fridge but have very little in the freezer.

But are you buying sides of beef out on the road? :)
We're going to be at the Fort for the entire month of November, plus the first 2 weeks of December. After that we're goint on a cross country trip staying a month each in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada, before heading back east to Michigan.

We're going to be at the Fort for the entire month of November, plus the first 2 weeks of December. After that we're goint on a cross country trip staying a month each in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada, before heading back east to Michigan.
But do you need to buy and freeze large amounts of meat? But my freezer gets very cold but never been with it south of the Mason Dixon line.

But do you need to buy and freeze large amounts of meat? But my freezer gets very cold but never been with it south of the Mason Dixon line.
Wifey poo doesn't want to have to go to the nearest piggly-wiggly every 4 days. I told her atleast once a week is going to have to work.

Nice trip! We have a dorm frig we keep outside. We keep drinks in it that won't go bad if the temperatures get a little warm. This way it saves frig room inside for meats and such. We can do at least a weeks worth of shopping at a time.

For what it's worth, we do a lot of prep ahead of a trip. We make meals that will go in the crock pot ahead of time, then package it in Ziplock bags. We store them flat in the home freezer, or in the coach freezer which is a residential. Then we can repack them in the freezer standing up and use them down throughout the trip. It sounds like a lot of work, and I guess it is but it's so nice to have a real meal at the end of the day. A lot of times we'll throw one into the crock pot while enroute and dinner is ready when we get there.

If anyone is in the area, I'm replacing the serpentine belt, tensioner, idler pulleys and radiator hoses this weekend. We can stay 6 ft apart if you want to help. I'll even stay in the house and watch through the window if that makes you more comfortable. :rotfl2:

This box of goodies showed up yesterday. $350 worth here and another $100 in antifreeze in the garage. The manual says the belt is good for 150,000 miles. I only have 120,000 miles, but the belt is 10 years old and feels pretty dry and cracked. The hoses are one of those things... while you're in there, you might as well.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into too big of a project. I need the truck next weekend to pull the camper out and de-winterize.

20200417_133849.jpg

j

The dreaded double post.

I haven't had this happen in a long time.

j

Last edited:
Well that looks like a fun day ahead. After 10 years, belt change may not be a bad idea.
I had them change mine and the hoses on the jeep, as we bought it used and even though the mileage was low, it is a 2003 and I have no idea when or if stuff has been changed.

After 10 years, belt change may not be a bad idea.
The belt is a pain, but necessary. I learned long ago working on race cars to replace everything you can get to when doing a PIA job. Racing Law says the harder it is to repair, the more likely it is to fail. The idler pulleys and tensioner may be fine for another 50,000 miles, but my luck, they will fail 10 miles after leaving on my next trip.

The hoses are the same. I don't have to remove them to do the belt and pulleys, but I've been smelling antifreeze after I drive it for a while. No signs of a leak (yet) and it isn't losing any, but if I can smell it, one of those hoses will blow when I don't want it to.

These newest Ford diesels actually have 2 separate cooling systems. Two water pumps, radiators and reservoirs. The primary cools the engine. The secondary cools the fuel, trans, EGR, intake air (water/air innercooler), power steering and turbo. I didn't get the hoses for that. They snake all over and you have to buy each one separately. I will be checking them out while I have things apart. I suspect one of the fittings may be leaking very slightly for me to smell it. Either that or one of the radiator caps needs replacing is is venting.

j

If anyone is in the area, I'm replacing the serpentine belt, tensioner, idler pulleys and radiator hoses this weekend. We can stay 6 ft apart if you want to help. I'll even stay in the house and watch through the window if that makes you more comfortable. :rotfl2:

This box of goodies showed up yesterday. $350 worth here and another $100 in antifreeze in the garage. The manual says the belt is good for 150,000 miles. I only have 120,000 miles, but the belt is 10 years old and feels pretty dry and cracked. The hoses are one of those things... while you're in there, you might as well.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into too big of a project. I need the truck next weekend to pull the camper out and de-winterize.

View attachment 488604

j
We'll just watch the youtube video. ;)

I had the diesel mechanic go ahead and change mine at 100,000 miles when the EGR valve had to be replaced. I kept the old belt though, keep it in toolbox just in case I break current one while on the road.

I'll social distance a few hundred miles.

Guess who is finally going camping in our NTU camper!
What do you average in RPMs while towing?

Pulling our 4800# wet camper with a fully loaded down Suburban and we seem to average 2500

Guess who is finally going camping in our NTU camper!
What do you average in RPMs while towing?

Pulling our 4800# wet camper with a fully loaded down Suburban and we seem to average 2500

If you have a tow and haul mode, make sure it is on. If not if you can lock out overdrive. Either one will help your transmission. RPM's are not the big issue, my truck turns about 1200 rpm at 65 mph, but that is how it is programmed.
Bigger issue is transmission temperature. Keep an eye on that, it should run between 165 and 200 degrees. Coolant can run up to about 210 degrees.

If you have a tow and haul mode, make sure it is on. If not if you can lock out overdrive. Either one will help your transmission. RPM's are not the big issue, my truck turns about 1200 rpm at 65 mph, but that is how it is programmed.
Bigger issue is transmission temperature. Keep an eye on that, it should run between 165 and 200 degrees. Coolant can run up to about 210 degrees.

Ok. We will add a temp gauge before our out of state trip for sure.
the butban has tow haul- but it does not like to shift down when we are around 55 and trying to gain.
we do have a shudder at that speed too so we need to be prepared for a transmission replacement if needed.

The butban has tow haul- but it does not like to shift down when we are around 55 and trying to gain.
Holding a lower gear (resulting in higher RPM) is how the Tow/Haul mode works. Instead of the transmission constantly shift back and forth between gears, it just holds the lower gear. The constant shifting up and down is what generates the heat in an automatic transmission and the heat is what kills them. The higher rpm also keeps the engine in a range it makes more power to be able to pull the extra weight. The rpm (and more power) don't help fuel mileage, but that is one of the trade offs.

I know the higher rpm is loud and annoying, but if that is what the transmission is doing in tow/haul mode, it is doing its job.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter