Trucks, trailers and towing find it here.

H&H818,

Lots of lessons there. I think many of us have stumbled into a few of those as we went. I remember the first time I changed the oil in my old BMW. It took 30 minutes of looking and an internet search to find the filter. Who would have thought the oil filter was on top of the engine right next to the thermostat? (green arrow)

filtersm.jpg

j

Frank, my DH likes the K&N oil filters
I think K&N are good filters too, and the nut is nice. The Frams I use have a rubberized end to help grip. I was taught to put filter on till it makes contact and then another 3/4 of turn. Typically I can get to 3/4 by hand, generally by 3/4, and a bit past for me, it's to the point where I need both hands to tighten it.

on our 3500 we installed a fumoto valve
I have seen those on some equipment I used to work on, (coolant, low pressure hydraulics) an never thought about using one on vehicle. I'm goona have to look into one.

Who would have thought the oil filter was on top of the engine right next to the thermostat?
Strange place. I'm guessing that's not the screw on type. What auto manufacturer used to put them in the oil pan? I remember changing the oil in my mother in law's car and hers was in the pan.

Anyway the worst thing I ever did when changing the oil was on an Izuzu or Datsun pickup when I was about 16-17. I drained the manual transmission instead. That was the lesson that time.

Strange place. I'm guessing that's not the screw on type.
Not a crew on. Actually a cartridge that was pretty cool. Easy to get to, not very messy, have to love German engineering.

oil filter.jpg

I'm not sure who put the filter in the oil pan. The same BMW had a transmission filter that WAS the pan. Literally. The filter was integrated in the pan. You replaced the whole thing. Guess what wasn't cheap. At least I only did it once in 168,000 miles.

j

John Deere mowers are now doing something similar. Filter and oil are one unit apparently that is changed and discarded.

So today it happened. I got complacent. We were picking up our trailer at the dealership, raised the trailer and hooked up. So I thought, raised the jacks, got the wife and dog in the cab, put the truck in gear pulled slowly forward and BOOM !!! The trailer was not hooked, slid out of the hitch and hit the ground. This is why we always tug test, and guess what I did not do today, yep tug test. Visually checked but did not tug.
Luckily the trailer spare is in the front and it took the brunt of the impact, looks like there was no other damage, except my pride. Have to dismount the spare to check it. But just found we got something else at the dealership, rodents. Great, now time to work on getting rid of them, peppermint oil time !!!

Randy,

The ratchet strap is a nice touch. It looks like he has the pin weight on the hitch. I'm impressed the trunk lid didn't crumple.

Chris,

Commented on the September TR topic. Just curious, I've hitched quite a few semi trailers. What didn't catch? Or is your hitch a Reese jaw type where you have to put the lock pin in the handle?

j

Randy,

The ratchet strap is a nice touch. It looks like he has the pin weight on the hitch. I'm impressed the trunk lid didn't crumple.

Chris,

Commented on the September TR topic. Just curious, I've hitched quite a few semi trailers. What didn't catch? Or is your hitch a Reese jaw type where you have to put the lock pin in the handle?

j

Binkley head on setup, I believe locking block was still in the way. But again a tug test would have showed me it was not hooked.

One thing I like about the ford factory reese hitch, if you are not completely secure, you cannot put the safety pin in. But yet I still do a tug test before pulling the landing gear.

I think the first time I drop the trailer I will feel it big time. Sucks Chris, hope that will be the only time you ever forget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!