Trying to get Membership Number.

MommaBerd

DIS Veteran
I recently bought resale and our deed was recorded on 1/2. Since I haven’t received my membership number in the mail, I decided to call and see if I could get it. The CM asked me for a number (and now I can’t remember exactly what she called it :sad2:) *just remembered she called it a “Club Number”, and I had no idea what she was asking for. Whatever the term was, I had never heard it used on here nor had seen it in my paperwork. I told her I had the contract number and the name of the previous member, but that was not what she wanted. THEN she told me that the title company should have the information because my membership number will be the same as the previous owner’s membership number; that what I purchased was that membership number. And she said that DVC would not be sending the information, that my title company should do it.

This all sounds wrong to me based on what I have read here, but since I’m new to all this, I figured I would double check what she told me versus your experiences. Thanks!

ETA: I even gave her the contract number of the previous member, but that was apparently not the magic number.

ETA again - I remembered the number she asked for!

Last edited:
You should wait a few more days. Usually it takes 2 weeks from the time recorded. You can then call and what they need is your name and social security number (maybe just the last 4 digits, I forget). They might tell you that they cannot do it. Just thank them, hang up and call back. If they tell you that you are not in the system yet, then that is probably true. Wait a couple more days and call back. If they ask you for the former owners contract number, member number, blah blah blah. They do not know what they are doing, thank them hang up and call back. Once you get the member number you will need to get a website activation code. They will probably have to transfer you to another department for that.

Congratulations you are almost there.

Who did you talk to; which department did you select when you called? Also, why do you need your member number now?

They aren’t really supposed to give it out over the phone. One department seems to be able to verify your identity enough to release it, but sometimes an individual may not be willing to provide it.

Unless you have a pressing need to get it now, please just wait for it to come in the mail. The more people who call, the more likely they are to stop giving it out to anyone.

You should wait a few more days. Usually it takes 2 weeks from the time recorded. You can then call and what they need is your name and social security number (maybe just the last 4 digits, I forget). They might tell you that they cannot do it. Just thank them, hang up and call back. If they tell you that you are not in the system yet, then that is probably true. Wait a couple more days and call back. If they ask you for the former owners contract number, member number, blah blah blah. They do not know what they are doing, thank them hang up and call back. Once you get the member number you will need to get a website activation code. They will probably have to transfer you to another department for that.

Congratulations you are almost there.

I did put in my last 4 digits of SSN and gave the CM my first and last name and my address. I feel like she saw my info, but then was trying to get more verification when she asked for the “club number.” She even put me on hold for a little bit when I questioned her about what a “club number” is. I told her I had the contract number and the previous owner’s name, but she was specific about the “club number”.

Who did you talk to; which department did you select when you called? Also, why do you need your member number now?

They aren’t really supposed to give it out over the phone. One department seems to be able to verify your identity enough to release it, but sometimes an individual may not be willing to provide it.

Unless you have a pressing need to get it now, please just wait for it to come in the mail. The more people who call, the more likely they are to stop giving it out to anyone.

I chose Option 2 (as has been suggested on this board) for Membership Administration. I don’t *have* to have it, but I would really like to try to waitlist a studio for a quick trip in February with points that are set to expire at the end of March (“just” 15 points that I just assumed we wouldn’t get any use out of until this super-quick trip came up).

Hmm. As a new DVC member I was provided with my member number, and club numbers when I called in about 10 days after closing. I wonder if the person you spoke with somehow thought you were adding to an existing membership?

I chose Option 2 (as has been suggested on this board) for Membership Administration.
It’s been a few years, but I thought option 3 for Member Accounting was the only area that could provide your member number.

The Club ID and Activation Code are used to set up your online account.

@supersnoop - Lately, when people have discussed obtaining membership numbers, people have remarked “select option 2” or “I chose option 2.” So, that is what I chose, and out of the three options with descriptions given, it seemed to make the most sense.

And, I have learned something new. In all my years of reading on DVC resales, I cant ever remember reading of a “Club ID” number. So, I was truly baffled when she asked for it. Now I know.

Finally, DID I purchase the previous owner’s actual Membership Number? I would have thought that is a unique number given to people as they sort of enter the system. It seems to me if the previous owner’s membership number didn’t change and that person has my personal information from the closing documents, doesn’t that open the door for problems?

My wife and I bought a SSR resale contract recently and the deed was recorded on 1/2 as well. I've called DVC several times (using option 2) and each CM can see my SSR contract (as well as my 2 other direct bought contracts), but they cannot access the SSR account without either the member number, club number or the last 4 digits of my SS#. My direct contracts have my SS#, but for some reason, the SSR resale contract doesn't. At first, I assumed that Disney was still finalizing the SSR contract. However, today's CM told me that if the contract was not financed or was a resale, the SS# isn't always attached to the contract. So unfortunately, we are stuck waiting for the member packet.

just to contrast. I purchased direct on Saturday 1-6. Got my # and log in on Sunday 1-7. Got my welcome kit and papers via fedex on Thursday 1-11.

i was actually surprised how easy it was to call and say i want to buy. less then 10 minutes on the phone was all it took.

@DSLRuser (and @dreamerle22), I realized that I still don't know my Club ID nor do I have my Activation Code. So, I still can't access my account... I asked DH to look on our papers and see if there is a Club number given. Maybe that doesn't come until the welcome packet? My membership number was just a single sheet of paper. I'm confused...or impatient. o_O

@DSLRuser you also purchased direct, so I'm sure it was a lot simpler for you. :thumbsup2

just to contrast. I purchased direct on Saturday 1-6. Got my # and log in on Sunday 1-7. Got my welcome kit and papers via fedex on Thursday 1-11.

i was actually surprised how easy it was to call and say i want to buy. less then 10 minutes on the phone was all it took.
Yes, a nice advantage for those who buy direct. Quick and easy! But costly, too. :)

@DSLRuser (and @dreamerle22), I realized that I still don't know my Club ID nor do I have my Activation Code. So, I still can't access my account... I asked DH to look on our papers and see if there is a Club number given. Maybe that doesn't come until the welcome packet? My membership number was just a single sheet of paper. I'm confused...or impatient. o_O

Your Club ID and Activation Code can be obtained by calling Member Services. It will not be on any resale paperwork. If memory serves me correctly, it will come in the welcome letter (with the 2 magnets). Before my welcome letter came, I called MA to obtain my membership number, who then transferred me to MS to get the Club ID and Activation Code.

Your Club ID and Activation Code can be obtained by calling Member Services. It will not be on any resale paperwork. If memory serves me correctly, it will come in the welcome letter (with the 2 magnets). Before my welcome letter came, I called MA to obtain my membership number, who then transferred me to MS to get the Club ID and Activation Code.

Thanks! I’ll try that!

I called twice with no luck and the third try I did press 2 and gave the person my name and she looked up the member id and activation code for online and she even had me log onto the DVC site and type that info in to make sure I could see my dashboard. Hang in there! it was a stressful couple of months but it was worth it !

Also, it's good to clarify that you're actually speaking with MA. The MA team is smaller and most of the time it's actually someone from MS answering even though you chose the MA option.

Each time I called, no matter who answered, I always said "Hello, I'm looking to speak with Member Administration" to which they replied with "please hold (then they connect me)"

@D-Trick - good to keep in mind going forward!!!

I did get in today! I called and chose the option for Technical Assistance and the woman I spoke with helped me very quickly. YAY! I have submitted my waitlist requests.

Also, it's good to clarify that you're actually speaking with MA. The MA team is smaller and most of the time it's actually someone from MS answering even though you chose the MA option.

Each time I called, no matter who answered, I always said "Hello, I'm looking to speak with Member Administration" to which they replied with "please hold (then they connect me)"

Great info, Thank you!

I bought back in August. Deed was posted on 8/22. It is now January 14 and I have yet or never received a welcome letter much less the 2 magnets. It was not until November 4 before I had to get a little nasty with MA and they gave me everything over the phone. I was not too happy. I purchased another contract on 12/13 and the deed was posted on 1/3...I guess it will be in March before I start calling and see if I can get my membership information.

I bought back in August. Deed was posted on 8/22. It is now January 14 and I have yet or never received a welcome letter much less the 2 magnets. It was not until November 4 before I had to get a little nasty with MA and they gave me everything over the phone. I was not too happy. I purchased another contract on 12/13 and the deed was posted on 1/3...I guess it will be in March before I start calling and see if I can get my membership information.
AFAIK with your new contract, you can just watch the DVC website. As an existing owner it should just “show up” as long as your member information went onto the contract and closing paperwork.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter