Tub-herini: a June '18 dining report *complete, 7/6

I am constantly made fun of for ordering soups in August at Disney. I agree with your assessment of this one too. But the margarita is top notch as is the cucumber version sold at the Margarita stand just at the start of Mexico!
Soups in August in Florida are just so seasonal, you know? :laughing:
Aghhhh, I wanted to get that cucumber one -- I went with the guava pink peppercorn instead, which will feature later in this report. (Spoiler, it wasn't the best.)

I am loving your report and writing style!!! Also a big fan of the Swanson’s all of their dining. Bluezoo is definitely a favorite. I love that crab sauce too! And there is a nitro ahi tuna appetizer that is just soooo good. Appreciate the review of Coral Reef- I’ve often wondered if it was as bad as people say too. Oddly aquariums make me nervous so I don’t think we’ll be trying it. :rolleyes: I’ve also never tried Boma but I do love the Animal Kingdom Lodge and it’s so easy to make a whole night out of dinner and all their activities. I’ve heard a rainy safari can be one of the best... good to know it’s true! Sorry you had to switch so many plans around - how funny is the groom- but always good to have a reason to return. Glad you enjoyed San Angel Inn. Similarly I wouldn’t say it’s on our favorites list but I do like it - my chief complaint being how close the tables are to each other and they do seem odd about assigning water tables. Very much looking forward to hearing more. I’m hoping Flying Fish isn’t part of the foreshadowed tumble.

Nitro ahi tuna: noted! Bluezoo really exceeded expectations -- we'll have to go back.

Re: aquarium nervousness, is it because you're envisioning the aquarium bursting apart and drowning everyone inside, a la Titanic? Because I think of that too!

Boma's awesome, you should visit if you get a chance! Then walk around looking at the animals for the next 2 hours to walk off the meal :) Have you eaten at Jiko or Sanaa? We ate at all three when we stayed at AKL (we didn't do the lounges, sadly), but for some reason Boma really sticks out.

And, don't worry -- Flying Fish would never disappoint me! :thumbsup2

I'll have to keep a lookout for that extra large balcony on the outside next time we're there! I thought they were all the same size, but apparently I wasn't paying close attention :magnify: do you remember what wing that was in?
If we can ever convince some friends to join us on a trip, and to stay at the Swan/Dolphin, I'd love to get one of the two-bedroom suites. I love the sound of that setup, with the parlor room in between each.

If you get a suite, you pay only one resort fee for the whole unit so that saves you something FYI.

For the life of me, I can’t remember whether it was the East or West wing. I found my room by going to the elevator on the side where the flowers are painted at the end of the lobby hall. We were on the side of the building closer to Crescent Lake and the Boardwalk, as opposed to the pool side of the complex.

The king bed room was in one hallway, and around the corner in another hallway was the parlor room with the queen bed room next to it. The balcony in the parlor room was built into a corner of the building.

The suite we had in 2016 had no balconies, but it was in the center of the building so the view was straight on the causeway.

In September, our suite was in the same wing as this trip, but on the opposite side of the corridor. The September suite had four balconies—one in each resort room and two in the parlor. IMO, it was the nicest of the three, but each suite had its own charms.

The suites def aren’t cookie cutter. :)

I can’t wait to read about your visit to the Flying Fish. I went to the bar there the night I arrived and had the best time. I am determined to eat dinner there next trip.

Last edited:
With Tables in Wonderland we saved $18 (the buffet was $45/per adult). On top of the auto 18% gratuity we added on $10 because it really was slow that night, and because Maureen was such a gem. We had a very lovely time meeting her and enjoyed chatting and laughing with her throughout the night.

Thanks so much for your Boma review. I am so looking forward to eating there for the first time in September! Looked delish.
I hope they have the "Malva pudding" but as we are going on a Friday I guess it will be a different rotation.

I am curious. I thought they only added auto gratuity to parties of 6 or more? I would tip in either case but was wondering.

Thanks so much for your Boma review. I am so looking forward to eating there for the first time in September! Looked delish.
I hope they have the "Malva pudding" but as we are going on a Friday I guess it will be a different rotation.

I am curious. I thought they only added auto gratuity to parties of 6 or more? I would tip in either case but was wondering.

With the Tables in Wonderland card, it takes 20% off the bill amount then adds 18% gratuity, regardless of party size. You can tip additional on top of that if you like (of course).

They might have the Malva pudding! I hold out hope that they become a mainstay of the dessert bar, like zebra domes. :goodvibes

Following along! :) You have a great writing voice and it's super fun to read. Can't wait to read more!

***I feel I should explain, because Coral Reef turns up frequently on this forum and elsewhere as one of the worst places to dine in WDW. Rest assured, I intentionally made that ADR, it was planned, and I was excited for our first visit ever there. I'd wanted to go to Coral Reef for a long time, mainly for the aquarium experience and for my curiosity in finding out for myself whether this place was really as horrible as it's said to be. :magnify:

We saved $18.20 with our Tables in Wonderland card, which officially makes Coral Reef an overpriced restaurant with an amazing view. We really enjoyed our lunch here because the aquarium is wonderful and it was a fun experience. I also want to stress that this was by no means a "bad" dining experience -- we had fine service, I liked almost everything we ordered, we left quite full, and I can't say enough good things about the atmosphere. We were happy campers (sea divers?) by all measures.

I've got a dinner ADR for our next trip at Coral Reef 'cause it's one of the few places my husband has requested we eat, mostly for the view, but I'll confess to the same curiosity--it can't be *that* bad, right? Glad to hear that despite some of the misses, you had a fun meal. I'll hope that we get seated close to the aquarium as well. :)

Following along! :) You have a great writing voice and it's super fun to read. Can't wait to read more!

I've got a dinner ADR for our next trip at Coral Reef 'cause it's one of the few places my husband has requested we eat, mostly for the view, but I'll confess to the same curiosity--it can't be *that* bad, right? Glad to hear that despite some of the misses, you had a fun meal. I'll hope that we get seated close to the aquarium as well. :)

Thank you! So nice to hear!! :)

The things I've read about Coral Reef usually include some mention of food poisoning, awful service, or that the food was terrible/inedible, none of which we experienced. It was fun! I hope you and your husband also have a lovely time when you visit. If you aren't seated right next to the aquarium, I think it can actually be preferable to get a booth -- since the booths face outward toward the aquarium, you don't need to turn your neck (or chair) to see everything.

That lobster mac and cheese looks incredible! I am a mac and cheese addict though, and if it's on the menu, it's going in my mouth!

We have "attempted" to eat at San Angel atleast the last two trips, and I always change my mind the day before... I don't know why I just can't commit!

The (Culinary) Valley of the Trip

With a Choose Your Own Adventure style evening ahead of me, I contemplated my options: a movie, bar-hopping and eating at Disney Springs? Head downstairs to Kimonos, get sushi and use up some of those drink vouchers? Use up all of the drink vouchers by lounge-hopping between bluezoo, Il Mulino and Kimonos? Look for a nice solo ADR for somewhere new in World Showcase, or maybe at another resort?

It's with perfect hindsight that I regret to inform you I did not choose any of these excellent options. Since I wasn't hungry yet, I decided to just head out to Epcot and see where the evening might take me. (Spoiler alert, it did not take me anywhere fun food-wise, but I had fun outside of that.) I remember wanting a ~low key~ evening because the wedding was the next morning, but instead I reverted to my usual solo routine: rides and park-hopping!

~~~~~

I picked up a rolling FP for Soarin' and headed over to Future World. It was a pleasant, mostly empty walk along the Boardwalk and through World Showcase -- it had stormed sometime while I was still in the room, and then sprinkled on and off for a few more hours:

After safely returning from Soarin' around the world, I moseyed on over to Sunshine Seasons, which we both love but haven't been to since January. Plus, I had some special cupcakes on my mental to-eat list, two of which are found at Sunshine Seasons!

The Land was pretty empty then (6:30pm) and it was easy to find a table. For some reason I didn't take a picture of everything together, but I got...

Spicy Fish Tacos: Pan-seared Tilapia topped with Lime-Cabbage Slaw and Spicy Poblano Pepper Aïoli, $11.79, with potato salad as a side

Okay, so over probably seven or eight visits to Sunshine Seasons I've repeatedly chosen either the shrimp noodle stir fry (gone now) or the fish tacos. I want to emphasize they did not always advertise the fish was tilapia, but I had an inkling after the first bite last August :magnify: And they've always been delicious! They are not spicy (is anything in Disney World ever actually spicy?) but that is why The Land has bestowed us with packets of Texas Pete's hot sauce. I've always liked these tacos: fresh ingredients, relatively healthy, and it's one of only two instances in which tilapia has ever been made palatable.

Buuuut... I probably won't get these again. On the last bite of the first taco, I tasted that dreaded flavor: TILAPIA. :crazy2::rotfl: Then I wondered, have I been duping myself all this time?! I always drown the tacos in hot sauce... had that unmistakable tilapia flavor been there all along? Had I only masked it with hot sauce and fooled myself? Almost certainly!

The potato salad is blameless. It's made with a vinegar-based dressing, not mayo, and it's consistently tasty and fresh.

At first I was determined to try something "new" and get the Rotisserie Turkey Breast Club Sandwich (Roast Turkey Breast, Bacon Jam and Avocado Spread on Ciabatta Bread), but my Bad Decision Brain took over last minute and led me toward the tacos. Also, the turkey sandwiches have an intimidating bread to meat/veggies ratio, and at the time I figured it would be irresponsible to eat what looked like an entire loaf of bread and a cupcake. It had to be one or the other, and I really wanted the beautiful cupcake.

Lucky for me, I had already purchased the liquid version of tilapia to wash down my sudden taco disappointment:

This was utter trash. And it cost $8.50 before tax! The rum and ginger soda tasted awful. Again with the last minute Bad Decision Brain, I originally had a can of Fat Tire and put it back in favor of trying a ~new-to-me, canned cocktail~, as if canned cocktails are ever a good idea. Never one to torture myself over a sunk cost, I stopped trying to like it around the 3/4 full mark and did not finish it.

The one thing I liked about this was that the cashier ID'd me, which only happens ~20% of the time nowadays. :scared1:

But, not all was lost. There was still an oversized cupcake with my fingerprints already on it:

Behold, the PB&J cupcake! I chose this over the rose gold Minnie ears cupcake because I'm not big on chocolate, and this has very little chocolate -- the "dirt" on top is a pile of chocolate cake crumbles, and that's it. The rest is a peanut butter cake, peanut butter frosting (??? the orange might have peanut butter while the rest was plain buttercream), globs of peanut butter and jelly inside, and edible flowers on top.

Of course, the cute garden on top is 100% why I wanted this in the first place.

These pictures don't have object references, but the PB&J cupcake is huge. It probably isn't meant for one person. At $5.99 it seems like a reasonably priced dessert for sharing.

The cake was very moist and it wasn't too sweet. As a whole I thought it was mostly light and enjoyable, until I crossed the halfway mark, and suddenly it was all too sweet and rich. The peanut butter lump inside was like... 1.5 tablespoons of thick, aggressive peanut butter. It was too much! The jelly was a nice break from all of the peanut flavor, but there must've been a teaspoon or so of jelly to the 1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter. And, of course, it had way more frosting than necessary, even if you were to share it. I ate the flower but the "grass" (I'm not totally sure what plant this was, but it was meant to look like grass) was a little too stiff, so I left most of that.

Following my valiant effort to finish most of the cupcake and absorb its beauty, I finally internalized that part of Into the Woods where Little Red Riding Hood sings "nice is different than good." I really didn't need to eat this. It was beautiful, but I didn't need to purchase or consume it to appreciate the design.

Overall, it was the worst meal I've had at Sunshine Seasons, which has done nothing to diminish my love of it. Every other time has been awesome! I just need to avoid the gigantic cupcakes, canned cocktails, and fish tacos. :bitelip:

~~~~~

I had picked up a FP for Spaceship Earth and it was raining again when I left The Land. Then I discovered my poncho was ripped straight down the front :sad1: And I felt a little bummed! I had started the evening in such high spirits, but I distinctly felt I had Chosen the Wrong Adventure. I thought about how I could've had sushi at Kimonos, or anything in Disney Springs, how I should've gone to the cocktail party, or how I could be in a movie theater watching Ocean's 8 instead of walking in the rain with a broken poncho.

A spin on Spaceship Earth cheered me up, as usual, and then I snagged a FP for Frozen Ever After (which I strangely enjoy despite not liking the movie, or the ride initially). I had about 30 minutes to kill before the FP window opened, so I exchanged my ripped poncho for a new one (hooray!) and then came across Choza de Margarita with nobody in line. It seems every time I walk by the line is 50 people deep, so I felt like my luck was turning. :drinking1

I chose the Guava Pink Peppercorn margarita: Mezcal Zignum Reposado, Guava Nectar, Grapefruit Liqueur, Lime Juice, Peychaud's Bitters and Pink Peppercorns.

All I can say about this is that it was a good size, not strong, and just average taste-wise. I honestly think they may have forgotten to put alcohol in this. Also, it was way overpriced at $14, and I remember being briefly outraged that Disney was wasting pink peppercorns :laughing:

It wasn't all bad -- the sunset was nice! After FEA I picked up a FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train for 9:30pm and headed to Magic Kingdom, where surprise surprise, the direct monorail between TTC<->MK was not running. I rode the resort monorail, because even with its lack of airflow and the several stops before reaching MK, the monorail was preferable for being much less crowded than the ferry. :crowded:

I zoomed over to Fantasyland as the fireworks were due to begin soon and I didn't want to be stuck on Main Street. I stopped for photopass shots on the bridge in front of Beast's castle and in front of the fountain outside Gaston's Tavern. Neither of us have seen Happily Ever After in front of the castle (but don't worry, we've seen every other park's nighttime show!), but we enjoyed the HEA fireworks while eating at Cinderella's Royal Table, in November. What a treat it was to experience the show from Fantasyland:

I'm sure it will surprise no one to hear that SDMT was down, I never got to redeem my FP for it, and it never came back up that night. I rode Dumbo then the Barnstormer (first time on that), neither had a wait. Since my SDMT FP turned into an "anytime" FP, I could pick up rolling FP again. I made a FP for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, which I unabashedly love. After that I went over to Tomorrowland, got a photopass shot, then headed to Space Mountain to use the anytime FP, where the FP line was backed up to the entrance. It took about 20 minutes to get to the boarding zone, and then I blasted off on a rocket ship through space.

I'd wanted to ride the People Mover and Carousel of Progress, both of which compete with Winnie the Pooh for my favorite MK ride ;) But, it was almost 11pm, and it suddenly dawned on me that even though I didn't need to be at the wedding until 9:30am, T would probably be up at 7 to leave by 8, and I depended on him to zip up the back of my dress. So, I had to be awake before 8 after all :faint:

A quick bus ride back to the Swan, and we were asleep just a few minutes before midnight. (T had been back in the room for quite a while, and was ironing his clothes for the wedding when I came up.) It was a nice pivot day overall -- San Angel Inn, World Showcase, swan paddleboats, swimming, Happily Ever After from Fantasyland, and a bunch of Epcot and MK rides.

Up next: a boozy morning wedding and a much-needed classic Disney snack...​

Last edited:
That lobster mac and cheese looks incredible! I am a mac and cheese addict though, and if it's on the menu, it's going in my mouth!

We have "attempted" to eat at San Angel atleast the last two trips, and I always change my mind the day before... I don't know why I just can't commit!

I feel like it's hard to commit because it never tops anyone's "must do" list and there are so many options in World Showcase, but it is definitely a "must do" at least once, especially if you really like the night market's atmosphere but need an excuse to hang around longer :) We've had reservations for San Angel on previous trips and cancelled, too; I was extra determined this trip to do places we've put off, or new places.

Ooga-chaka: bellinis, a nap, and a snack

^^^ Press play while you read! It was the first dance song for the wedding :cloud9:

I'll try to keep this update short since there's only one Disney food-related part.

~~~~~

The big morning was here: wedding day! I declined to fully wake up at 7 with T, and he left for the venue shortly after. Sleep > getting ready.

giphy.gif

Around 9:30am I left the room and headed downstairs. The new dress plan was to throw a cardigan on and have T finish zipping the last part when I arrived at the resort. Instead, I asked some lovely folks at the Disney planning desk for help zipping up, prefacing it with "this is a non-hotel related request... :o " and Tabby graciously agreed to help. She was a thousand times gentler with the dress (the material was delicate) when zipping it than T has ever been, which I felt was noteworthy. I still need to write compliment emails to the Swan about Tabby and some other folks.

Soon I was in a Lyft with the chattiest driver ever, and then at the resort, where I managed to snag a seat in the shade for the ceremony. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, so it was incredibly bright and already hot at 10am. The sun was shining directly in the eyes of the groom, bride, and their parties, but I had a great view of everything from the shade!

After the bride and groom were officially wed, we all went inside for a cocktail hour, where I was not shy about being first at the open (wine, bloody mary, bellinis, mimosas, champagne) bar. :bitelip:

They had a little station where you could add fruits, celery, etc. to your drink of choice.

In between obligatory photoshoots, T stopped by and I snagged a picture of his boutonnière. Everybody in the bridal/groom's party had their bouquets or boutonnières made of a page from the wearer's favorite book.

After a while we were then shown upstairs to the reception room. I made a bunch of wedding pals (we became the official ~cool kids table~) and had a blast! It would be a shame if whoever paid for the wedding couldn't realize full value from the open bar, so I did my part by drinking as much as possible. :drinking1

There was dancing, a ton of laughter, tears -- it was really fun, one of the best weddings I've ever attended. The party favors were these chocolate bourbon balls (tasty, and I don't like chocolate or bourbon!) and there was a breakfast buffet. No pictures of the food, but I took a picture of the menu:

We had plans to eat at Via Napoli at 2:30pm after the reception was over, so I ate very, very lightly, meaning like three bacon slices, a bit of scrambled eggs, and a slice of cake. (Drank lots of carbs in bellini form, though.) Somewhere around noon I realized we probably wouldn't make the Via Napoli ADR, so I moved it to a different day.

After a few hours, the wonderful celebration had come to an end. We hugged everyone, said goodbyes, and got in a Lyft back to the Swan. It was around 2:30pm when we got back to our room and we were exhausted. T instantly fell asleep like a regular Sleeping Beauty -- he really hadn't slept enough since arrival night. I fell asleep too, even though I normally struggle to nap.

tenor.gif

~~~~~

We slept until a little after 5pm, and we woke up mostly refreshed. I had a mild-to-medium headache (a veeeery slight hangover from not eating much). After some ibuprofen and a bottle of water, I snagged us a FP for Frozen Ever After much to T's delight, as he inexplicably loves this ride even more than I inexplicably love it! :teeth:

We dressed and headed out towards the Boardwalk, where my empty stomach demanded a stop at Boardwalk Joe's for some badly needed carbs in the form of my favorite "classic" snack:

a Mickey pretzel! And, for the first time ever, I even sprung for the "cheese sauce":

I have never had a Mickey pretzel with "cheese sauce" because I assume all plastic cheese tastes the same, but this is surprisingly thick and... tasty??? Not sure if it was my mild hangover talking at the time, but that warm plasticky goodness was delicious.

Aside from an internal identity crisis over my newfound love for plastic cheese, we had a lovely time sitting on the Boardwalk while I downed bottles of water and shoveled carbohydrate goodness into my mouth. It was still early evening and the sun on the water was beautiful. We always seem to stop and sit on the Boardwalk for something on every trip (ice cream, photos, just to relax), and it's one of my favorite spots around WDW.

We walked through World Showcase and got on FEA toward the end of the FP window (about 6:20pm). After that, we watched Reflections of China again (another favorite) and then watched the Jeweled Dragon Acrobats' show for a while. We walked around World Showcase to exit, then made our way back to the Swan to shower before Flying Fish.

The food reporting picks up again in the next post -- thanks for bearing through these light-on-food updates :)

Finally: Flying Fish!

Our culinary adventures continued that evening, dressed in our easy, breezy, Florida finest again, leisurely walking hand in hand down the Boardwalk towards Flying Fish. It turned out to be a good idea to move the ADR forward 15 minutes to allow for showering, because we got to the checkin stand exactly at 8:45pm.

:fish:
A little backstory: the title of this update comes from my unsuccessful attempts to take T to Flying Fish for several trips. Back in August, Flying Fish was actually the *first* place I ate at Disney as an adult -- my first time back at WDW since I was about 10 years old. I had an awesome experience eating there solo and it was a fantastic reintroduction to Disney. I loved it so much that I've been trying to go back with T on our trips together, but for one reason or another we always had to cancel. Not this time: no amount of plan-juggling would deter me! :thumbsup2

~~~~~

After small reservation hiccups where they couldn't find our ADR, we were immediately seated at a 4-top (low table) close to the kitchen and entrance, right next to the 2-top I'd sat at solo my first time here.

I've always found the decor and atmosphere at Flying Fish to be perfectly lovely, elegant yet fun; under the sea, aquatics themes really appeal to me (part of why we love the Swan so much!). I didn't know back in August that Flying Fish had been renovated recently, but now I find it amusing that its theme seems "inspired" by bluezoo. Old pictures of Flying Fish show more of a whimsical, carousel-on-the-Boardwalk theme -- the current look screams "signature."

When I'd planned our evening at Flying Fish I had the grapefruit/lychee martini in mind, but I did not plan on bottomless bellinis beforehand. So I went with a classy diet coke :snooty: while teetotaler-T stuck with water :drinking:

As is often reported, the small details at Flying Fish are adorable -- scales on the silverware, and the napkin linens look a little scaly too!

One small thing to know about Flying Fish is that their online menu seems to update infrequently. There are often slight variations from restaurants' online menus at WDW, but on this trip I found menus had been accurate except at Flying Fish. I remember it was the same deal the first time I visited FF too.

In August, I had my stomach set on the Maine lobster nero pasta; when I got to FF, it had changed to Hokkaido scallop nero pasta (and was absolutely divine!). This time I was looking forward to its new variation as the Hokkaido Scallop Garganelli Pasta, but when we opened our menus the scallop entree had changed to Scallops & Grits, while the pasta was now shrimp. Each time, the "surprise" version of what I wanted has always been significantly cheaper than expected: lobster pasta $64 vs scallop pasta $48, scallop pasta $48 vs shrimp pasta $35. Maybe they're trying to make the pasta the cheapest entree option along with the chicken?

(that evening)

(today, but also looked like this on that evening)

While not a bad thing since changing, seasonal menus keep things fresh and surprises are usually fun, it's just something to know before you go. Probably more important to know if you're on the dining plan and looking to make the most of your credits.

After we ordered appetizers and entrees, the bread service arrived and it was new, too -- out with the sea salt butter, in with some of the best ricotta ever and herb oil. The ricotta is very light, creamy, and fluffy. I can't remember what herbs were part of the oil but they were delicious, and the seaweed sourdough was as warm and tasty as ever. (It's only a faint flavor of nori, if you're hesitant.) Despite remembering how the bread fiasco at bluezoo turned us into the parent-pigs from Spirited Away, we definitely ate all of this.

I did have T save a slice or two for his appetizer, because at my gentle prodding ("we're on vacation! this is our last trip! remember the horchata margarita you didn't get?") he ordered the lobster bisque:

lobster bisque: creme fraiche, sambuca, chive oil | $11

I had this in August and loved it, and I thought T would too. The "accessories" vary each time -- in August it had sherry and truffle oil, iirc -- but the bisque remains delicious. This was not on the online menu either (it still says potato leek bisque) so it was another pleasant surprise. I regret to inform the audience that T liked this, but felt it was simple, without chunks of lobster meat, and "not elevated." He also ate it all. :upsidedow

This is a picture of the bisque I had in August, and you can see some chunks of lobster in the center:

I was tempted by the Dungeness crab croquettes (also not online) but went with the crispy Virginia oysters:

Flying Fish Roe, Sea Beans, Lotus Root | $13

This! Was! Incredible! So pretty and so delicious. But I feel I must warn you that the sea beans were pretty salty. The fried oysters were briny and delicious, and the breading was perfect. And there were 8 oysters! This picture doesn't show it all that well but there's a ton of sea bean/microgreens/some carrot spirals making up a salad of sorts. It was a substantial appetizer, especially for the price. The combination of textures was great, too -- crunchy, snappy vegetables, crisp lotus root slices, meaty oysters. I really loved this appetizer even if it was a tad too salty. I shared probably about 1/4 of this with T.

There was a long wait between appetizers and entrees -- maybe 20, 25 minutes? We were having a blast and didn't mind; there just seemed to be some kitchen holdups that night or they were understaffed, because the restaurant was emptying throughout our meal. Sometime during this intermission I voyaged to the bathroom (it's in Abracadabar). Despite eating at Flying Fish and Trattoria al Forno previously, I hadn't visited this particular restroom before. I liked all of the ~street magic~ elements, very Boardwalk. Directly outside of the restroom there's some kind of trick mirror (I cannot figure out what it's called, and the picture is awful. You'll have to visit yourself.)

After a little while longer, our entrees swam to the table.

shrimp torchio pasta: saffron tomato sauce, fennel, garden herbs | $35​

I included the faraway shot for size reference -- even so, it's a little hard to tell this was a fairly large portion, definitely bigger than the scallops & nero pasta I had in August. I added on Hokkaido scallops for $15, and was surprised to see only two were added. I think three would've felt fair price-wise, but whatever.

This sauce is heaaavenly, just as delicious as it (or its former version) was in August. I love this. It's the perfect pasta dish. They ensure the tomato sauce isn't acidic, and the herbs and blistered tomatoes round out the dish very nicely. Very summery. There were again like 8-10 shrimp and they were huge, perfectly cooked, and had a great snap to them. I also thought the torchio were a lovely shape.

This is what I had in August; it's not really the same dish except the sauce and herbs are pretty similar:

Anyway, T helped me polish off quite a bit of the pasta -- he had perhaps two shrimp and several forkfuls of torchio. So delicious, but so much!

T ordered the sea bass with leek fondue and cassis-red wine reduction, $48. I had read that people were happy to see this leek fondue/sauce back on the menu because it was on the original, pre-renovation Flying Fish menu. It was outstanding -- I instantly understood why it was so popular. The sear on the sea bass was awesome and the fish melted in our mouths. Just unbelievably delicious.

After tub-tubbing through all of that, it was time for dessert! I was far past "full" at this point but I couldn't let that stop us, because the unique desserts are one of my favorite parts of Flying Fish. This is where I experienced a slight buzzkill... :charac2:

(what the online menu said then and today!)

The Florida Reef had changed to the Florida Sunset, and the Under the Sea had turned into the Cocoa Breach (love that pun). Noooooooooo! :o I'd had the Florida Reef by myself in August and it was fantastic, so I wanted to get that again to show T, as well as the Under the Sea (mainly for the cute presentation), and one more dessert. When our server (Oliver) came back we talked about this and he said they had *just* changed those two desserts! :sad:

The Under the Sea was really the sole disappointment, since I had already eaten the Florida Reef. Oliver said something to the effect of Well, the Cocoa Breach is awesome for a chocolate dessert! And I had to fess up and admit No, I don't even like chocolate, I'd just seen so many photos of the Under the Sea and wanted it for how beautiful it looked :bitelip::rotfl: He started apologizing, I stopped him and reassured him it was genuinely okay because I A) don't even like chocolate B) could google photos anyway! And I was fresh off the PB&J cupcake incident (beautiful ≠ need to eat). But I was a little surprised when I opened the dessert menu (despite the rest of the menu being totally different than expected too) because I thought the dessert menu never changed -- it hasn't changed online since last August, and I think people have been ordering the Under the Sea for years!

So, we went ahead and ordered the Florida Sunset and the Bueberries, Limes, and Sea Shells, because I love ordering more dessert than necessary. And then Oliver cemented himself as my favorite person ever (sorry, T):

He asked the pastry chef to make a small sample version of the Under the Sea! :love: Let's zoom in...

Under the Sea: Valrhona Chocolate, Chocolate Coral Sponge, Pistachio Sand, Dehydrated Milk Foam, Tasting of Three Sea Salts

This miniature version had everything in the description except for three different sea salts (there's just one, I could've gone for more!). You can google photos of what it looked like in its full form. Somehow this was all the more darling and precious to me because it was specially made, and so adorably small. :lovestruc I loved it. The pistachio "sand" and dehydrated milk foam were really cool! I liked the chocolate coral sponge too, as well as the raspberry(?) sauce and the brittle on top. The varied textures were interesting. The chocolate was very rich, smooth, "premium" tasting, and not really my thing, but this was all so nice and thoughtful.

Florida Sunset: vanilla custard, lemon broth, segmented fruits, white chocolate | $11

This was the favorite of the night. It was tangy at first (I think the "sunset" coloring on the dome was like a sour candy-like coating), but soon it gave way to a creamy, "sooooo delicious" dessert according to my notes. The fruits were awesome and complimented everything perfectly. The lemon broth is like a lightly sweet... lemon-flavored broth! :laughing: Kind of like melted lemon ice cream in terms of the way it looked and felt, but that's not the way it tasted. Hard to describe, but take my word that this was good, and we'd happily eat it again.

Blueberries, Limes, and Sea Shells:
Mascarpone Cream, Blueberry-Lime Compote, Hibiscus Meringue, Rye Bourbon Caramel | $9

This was pretty good, but not my favorite and imo not very memorable. I liked the mascarpone cream for being light and not too sweet, I thought the blueberry compote was good (there was no lime to speak of), and I liked the meringues though I don't recall much flavor in those. I did not like the shortbreads on the sides. The peaches were unripe -- if that was intentional it was a bold move, because almost nothing in this dessert was sweet besides the caramel. Overall, the main star (mascarpone cheesecake(?)) was good, but I didn't think the supporting cast were all that great. Maybe that was my impression because T ate most of this while I was busy taking pictures? :upsidedow

Around 10:35 the dessert plates were cleared and our meal officially came to an end, after two delightful hours. We were either the last table or one of the last tables to leave:

(I also took some horribly grainy zoomed photos of that couch because I want it in our house, as if I could just find this on Wayfair or something :laughing:)

With Tables in Wonderland we saved $29.10. We had chatted and laughed with Oliver every time we saw him, we really enjoyed the evening, and the mini Under the Sea was some super magical pixie dust and totally unexpected. So, on top of the 18% auto-gratuity we added $15. This was a wonderful meal from start to finish, and the service was exceptional. :cloud9:

After that we took some pictures along the Boardwalk -- always so pretty lit up at night! :lovestruc -- and strolled back to the Swan to turn in "early" (at home we go to bed at like, 9:30pm).

Up next, a day of dining à la west coast best coast...​

Last edited:
The (Culinary) Valley of the Trip

With a Choose Your Own Adventure style evening ahead of me, I contemplated my options: a movie, bar-hopping and eating at Disney Springs? Head downstairs to Kimonos, get sushi and use up some of those drink vouchers? Use up all of the drink vouchers by lounge-hopping between bluezoo, Il Mulino and Kimonos? Look for a nice solo ADR for somewhere new in World Showcase, or maybe at another resort?

It's with perfect hindsight that I regret to inform you I did not choose any of these excellent options. Since I wasn't hungry yet, I decided to just head out to Epcot and see where the evening might take me. (Spoiler alert, it did not take me anywhere fun food-wise, but I had fun outside of that.) I remember wanting a ~low key~ evening because the wedding was the next morning, but instead I reverted to my usual solo routine: rides and park-hopping!

~~~~~

I picked up a rolling FP for Soarin' and headed over to Future World. It was a pleasant, mostly empty walk along the Boardwalk and through World Showcase -- it had stormed sometime while I was still in the room, and then sprinkled on and off for a few more hours:

After safely returning from Soarin' around the world, I moseyed on over to Sunshine Seasons, which we both love but haven't been to since January. Plus, I had some special cupcakes on my mental to-eat list, two of which are found at Sunshine Seasons!

The Land was pretty empty then (6:30pm) and it was easy to find a table. For some reason I didn't take a picture of everything together, but I got...

Spicy Fish Tacos: Pan-seared Tilapia topped with Lime-Cabbage Slaw and Spicy Poblano Pepper Aïoli, $11.79, with potato salad as a side

Okay, so over probably seven or eight visits to Sunshine Seasons I've repeatedly chosen either the shrimp noodle stir fry (gone now) or the fish tacos. I want to emphasize they did not always advertise the fish was tilapia, but I had an inkling after the first bite last August :magnify: And they've always been delicious! They are not spicy (is anything in Disney World ever actually spicy?) but that is why The Land has bestowed us with packets of Texas Pete's hot sauce. I've always liked these tacos: fresh ingredients, relatively healthy, and it's one of only two instances in which tilapia has ever been made palatable.

Buuuut... I probably won't get these again. On the last bite of the first taco, I tasted that dreaded flavor: TILAPIA. :crazy2::rotfl: Then I wondered, have I been duping myself all this time?! I always drown the tacos in hot sauce... had that unmistakable tilapia flavor been there all along? Had I only masked it with hot sauce and fooled myself? Almost certainly!

The potato salad is blameless. It's made with a vinegar-based dressing, not mayo, and it's consistently tasty and fresh.

At first I was determined to try something "new" and get the Rotisserie Turkey Breast Club Sandwich (Roast Turkey Breast, Bacon Jam and Avocado Spread on Ciabatta Bread), but my Bad Decision Brain took over last minute and led me toward the tacos. Also, the turkey sandwiches have an intimidating bread to meat/veggies ratio, and at the time I figured it would be irresponsible to eat what looked like an entire loaf of bread and a cupcake. It had to be one or the other, and I really wanted the beautiful cupcake.

Lucky for me, I had already purchased the liquid version of tilapia to wash down my sudden taco disappointment:

This was utter trash. And it cost $8.50 before tax! The rum and ginger soda tasted awful. Again with the last minute Bad Decision Brain, I originally had a can of Fat Tire and put it back in favor of trying a ~new-to-me, canned cocktail~, as if canned cocktails are ever a good idea. Never one to torture myself over a sunk cost, I stopped trying to like it around the 3/4 full mark and did not finish it.

The one thing I liked about this was that the cashier ID'd me, which only happens ~20% of the time nowadays. :scared1:

But, not all was lost. There was still an oversized cupcake with my fingerprints already on it:

Behold, the PB&J cupcake! I chose this over the rose gold Minnie ears cupcake because I'm not big on chocolate, and this has very little chocolate -- the "dirt" on top is a pile of chocolate cake crumbles, and that's it. The rest is a peanut butter cake, peanut butter frosting (??? the orange might have peanut butter while the rest was plain buttercream), globs of peanut butter and jelly inside, and edible flowers on top.

Of course, the cute garden on top is 100% why I wanted this in the first place.

These pictures don't have object references, but the PB&J cupcake is huge. It probably isn't meant for one person. At $5.99 it seems like a reasonably priced dessert for sharing.

The cake was very moist and it wasn't too sweet. As a whole I thought it was mostly light and enjoyable, until I crossed the halfway mark, and suddenly it was all too sweet and rich. The peanut butter lump inside was like... 1.5 tablespoons of thick, aggressive peanut butter. It was too much! The jelly was a nice break from all of the peanut flavor, but there must've been a teaspoon or so of jelly to the 1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter. And, of course, it had way more frosting than necessary, even if you were to share it. I ate the flower but the "grass" (I'm not totally sure what plant this was, but it was meant to look like grass) was a little too stiff, so I left most of that.

Following my valiant effort to finish most of the cupcake and absorb its beauty, I finally internalized that part of Into the Woods where Little Red Riding Hood sings "nice is different than good." I really didn't need to eat this. It was beautiful, but I didn't need to purchase or consume it to appreciate the design.

Overall, it was the worst meal I've had at Sunshine Seasons, which has done nothing to diminish my love of it. Every other time has been awesome! I just need to avoid the gigantic cupcakes, canned cocktails, and fish tacos. :bitelip:

~~~~~

I had picked up a FP for Spaceship Earth and it was raining again when I left The Land. Then I discovered my poncho was ripped straight down the front :sad1: And I felt a little bummed! I had started the evening in such high spirits, but I distinctly felt I had Chosen the Wrong Adventure. I thought about how I could've had sushi at Kimonos, or anything in Disney Springs, how I should've gone to the cocktail party, or how I could be in a movie theater watching Ocean's 8 instead of walking in the rain with a broken poncho.

A spin on Spaceship Earth cheered me up, as usual, and then I snagged a FP for Frozen Ever After (which I strangely enjoy despite not liking the movie, or the ride initially). I had about 30 minutes to kill before the FP window opened, so I exchanged my ripped poncho for a new one (hooray!) and then came across Choza de Margarita with nobody in line. It seems every time I walk by the line is 50 people deep, so I felt like my luck was turning. :drinking1

I chose the Guava Pink Peppercorn margarita: Mezcal Zignum Reposado, Guava Nectar, Grapefruit Liqueur, Lime Juice, Peychaud's Bitters and Pink Peppercorns.

All I can say about this is that it was a good size, not strong, and just average taste-wise. I honestly think they may have forgotten to put alcohol in this. Also, it was way overpriced at $14, and I remember being briefly outraged that Disney was wasting pink peppercorns :laughing:

It wasn't all bad -- the sunset was nice! After FEA I picked up a FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train for 9:30pm and headed to Magic Kingdom, where surprise surprise, the direct monorail between TTC<->MK was not running. I rode the resort monorail, because even with its lack of airflow and the several stops before reaching MK, the monorail was preferable for being much less crowded than the ferry. :crowded:

I zoomed over to Fantasyland as the fireworks were due to begin soon and I didn't want to be stuck on Main Street. I stopped for photopass shots on the bridge in front of Beast's castle and in front of the fountain outside Gaston's Tavern. Neither of us have seen Happily Ever After in front of the castle (but don't worry, we've seen every other park's nighttime show!), but we enjoyed the HEA fireworks while eating at Cinderella's Royal Table, in November. What a treat it was to experience the show from Fantasyland:

I'm sure it will surprise no one to hear that SDMT was down, I never got to redeem my FP for it, and it never came back up that night. I rode Dumbo then the Barnstormer (first time on that), neither had a wait. Since my SDMT FP turned into an "anytime" FP, I could pick up rolling FP again. I made a FP for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, which I unabashedly love. After that I went over to Tomorrowland, got a photopass shot, then headed to Space Mountain to use the anytime FP, where the FP line was backed up to the entrance. It took about 20 minutes to get to the boarding zone, and then I blasted off on a rocket ship through space.

I'd wanted to ride the People Mover and Carousel of Progress, both of which compete with Winnie the Pooh for my favorite MK ride ;) But, it was almost 11pm, and it suddenly dawned on me that even though I didn't need to be at the wedding until 9:30am, T would probably be up at 7 to leave by 8, and I depended on him to zip up the back of my dress. So, I had to be awake before 8 after all :faint:

A quick bus ride back to the Swan, and we were asleep just a few minutes before midnight. (T had been back in the room for quite a while, and was ironing his clothes for the wedding when I came up.) It was a nice pivot day overall -- San Angel Inn, World Showcase, swan paddleboats, swimming, Happily Ever After from Fantasyland, and a bunch of Epcot and MK rides.

Up next: a boozy morning wedding and a much-needed classic Disney snack...​
So I just had to comment on this post. Last year, can't remember which trip now (Oct I think), I drove myself all the way from NC to WDW. All 9 hours+ in one straight drive. I checked into POP and spent the night while waiting for DH, BIL and SIL to arrive by plane the next day. Then we all checked into BWV. But I had 1 night all to myself at WDW. I sure did haul butt to FL in order to maximize my time. I also came up with several plan options. I didn't really want to do a park or rides so I was thinking a monorail crawl with apps and drinks or a trip to DS for dinner and browsing. I too chose the wrong path and decided to go to DS and wing it. After a crazy time taking a bus from POP and then trying to navigate a crowded DS that I now don't know how to get anywhere and don't know where anything is...I just walked into Frontera Cocino and sat at the bar to have dinner. Then the menu did not appeal so I asked the bartender what I should get and went with that which was chicken enchilada. It was dry and small and blech. And expensive. I also went with sangria and it was the customary resort wide boring sangria. Should have done a nice margarita. Then I came out of there and went to get AP activated and there was a 45 minute wait. So I left and before I got to bus stop the skies opened up and a downpour ensued. I waited it out in a freezing cold (AC) store as long as I could and then gave up and sprinted to the bus stop. There was a line out of the covered queue so I had to stand there getting rained on. Had to wait for the 2nd bus. Took forever and a day to get back. Then I wanted to get a snack and drink so I went in the food court at POP and it was an utter madhouse with lines and crowds everywhere...at like 9:30pm. Gave up and decided to go back to room but got lost along the way. Poor decisions on my part. I should have just made an ADR at a resort and drove my car over to park, eat and browse. Should have gone to GF Cafe as my DH won't try that one for some reason.

Just had to chime in since I had a similar solo experience. Thanks for sharing your report. Love to read a food/drinks report as that is our big focus at WDW anymore. We too go a lot, as DVC members, so we do our 3 FP and then eat, drink, eat, drink, eat, drink...

So I just had to comment on this post. Last year, can't remember which trip now (Oct I think), I drove myself all the way from NC to WDW. All 9 hours+ in one straight drive. I checked into POP and spent the night while waiting for DH, BIL and SIL to arrive by plane the next day. Then we all checked into BWV. But I had 1 night all to myself at WDW. I sure did haul butt to FL in order to maximize my time. I also came up with several plan options. I didn't really want to do a park or rides so I was thinking a monorail crawl with apps and drinks or a trip to DS for dinner and browsing. I too chose the wrong path and decided to go to DS and wing it. After a crazy time taking a bus from POP and then trying to navigate a crowded DS that I now don't know how to get anywhere and don't know where anything is...I just walked into Frontera Cocino and sat at the bar to have dinner. Then the menu did not appeal so I asked the bartender what I should get and went with that which was chicken enchilada. It was dry and small and blech. And expensive. I also went with sangria and it was the customary resort wide boring sangria. Should have done a nice margarita. Then I came out of there and went to get AP activated and there was a 45 minute wait. So I left and before I got to bus stop the skies opened up and a downpour ensued. I waited it out in a freezing cold (AC) store as long as I could and then gave up and sprinted to the bus stop. There was a line out of the covered queue so I had to stand there getting rained on. Had to wait for the 2nd bus. Took forever and a day to get back. Then I wanted to get a snack and drink so I went in the food court at POP and it was an utter madhouse with lines and crowds everywhere...at like 9:30pm. Gave up and decided to go back to room but got lost along the way. Poor decisions on my part. I should have just made an ADR at a resort and drove my car over to park, eat and browse. Should have gone to GF Cafe as my DH won't try that one for some reason.

Just had to chime in since I had a similar solo experience. Thanks for sharing your report. Love to read a food/drinks report as that is our big focus at WDW anymore. We too go a lot, as DVC members, so we do our 3 FP and then eat, drink, eat, drink, eat, drink...

Wow, what a perfect storm -- the disappointing food/drinks, the rain, the long waits everywhere! :scared: I sympathize with all of that. Waiting outside of the covered bus queue while it's pouring -- that is peak "I chose the wrong adventure." :( So funny how perfect hindsight is in these situations; your idea of eating at a resort and making an evening of that sounds, of course, simple and great. And I had thought of that option but didn't do it either, bah humbug. At least we're well prepared for next time!

That's how we are too! I think our first few trips were still ride-focused because we couldn't get enough (and it was all so new), but now we've ridden everything so many times that our focus has shifted to eating, drinking, taking it all easy. :goodvibes

Ah, so relieved that you enjoyed Flying Fish. It’s interesting because the “new” decor doesn’t get a lot of love here on the boards but I ADORE it and agree it says “signature.” How awesome was your server with the special dessert - that’s so sweet! Literally and figuratively, LOL. It’s definitely one of my favorites and hopefully bringing back the sauce will help draw some people back.

Sounds like the wedding was a blast! Appreciate your helping drive value in the open bar... I would have been right behind you!!!

Sorry about the blah meal at Sunshine Seasons. I hate when I choose wrong as well - so annoying!

Awesome report so far! Loving all the seafood and adult beverages :-) You totally have my psyched to return to Flying Fish on our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter