Turkey Talk-Line for all your turkey needs or issues!

Disney Addicted

DIS Veteran
How cool is this? This should help stop a lot of food issues with cooking a turkey. Wish we knew about it last year! :)

Butterball has a Turkey Talk-Line! You can phone their 800 number or text their 844 number for answers to your turkey questions.
1-800-BUTTERBALL (phone) or 844-877-3456 (text)

October 4 to 13 (weekdays) 1 PM - 6 PM EST
October 4 to 13 (weekends) 10 AM - 6 PM EST
October 14 (Thanksgiving Day) 10 AM - 6 PM EST
November 29 - December 23 (weekdays) 9 AM - 7 PM EST
December 21 - December 22 (weekends) 9 AM - 3 PM EST
December 24 from 9 AM - 3 PM EST

I sent them a text to ask for a fresh (never frozen) bird weighing 17.59 lbs, stuffed by hand, how long to cook it and at what temperature. I'm waiting for a reply. Hmm... should I have included a 1 in front of that 844-877-3456 number?

I just got a reply back telling me 325 F for 3 3/4 hours to 4 1/2 hours. Making sure the breast is at 170F and the thigh at 180F. This is a game changer for us! We almost always seem to have a problem cooking a turkey. That turkey was my Dad's for tomorrow. Our stuffed frozen butterball is currently in the oven, hoping to be done by 4 PM. Since they are open until 6 PM tonight, I love that I can phone or text them if we have an issue!

Convection oven or standard oven? That can make a difference too. I usually just look the same information up on their website Butterball Calculations and Conversions for anyone who doesn't want to call.

Huh. I did not know this. I'll have to text them back! Both my Dad and I have a convection oven, but we are not cooking the turkey on convect - just bake. Does that make a difference?

Love this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
one year I under cooked the Turkey and everyone got sick. Now I just usually cook a Butterball Stuffed Turkey Breast,,from frozen.
Thanks for posting
Hugs
Mel

You're welcome. I'm sorry everyone got sick but I'm glad no one got really bad! It's hard cooking turkeys. Every year my Dad insists the turkey is cooked and it's not cooked completely through. My husband has taken over carving it up and puts a lot back in the oven to keep cooking.

My best turkeys are roasted breast side down (at least until they are almost fully cooked. Then flip over (if I can lol) for last hour or so. The breast meat is so juicy that way. This year I have about a 24 pounder so not sure if I'lol e able to successfully flip something that heavy. I may just leave it upside down.

My best turkeys are roasted breast side down (at least until they are almost fully cooked. Then flip over (if I can lol) for last hour or so. The breast meat is so juicy that way. This year I have about a 24 pounder so not sure if I'lol e able to successfully flip something that heavy. I may just leave it upside down.
I accidentally cooked my turkey breast side down yesterday. I never thought to turn it right side up to brown it a bit. :upsidedow

A lot of people have said the same, cook breast down. It's a bit of a game changer when you bite into the breast and don't need 6 cups of gravy trying to moisten it up

Huh. I did not know this. I'll have to text them back! Both my Dad and I have a convection oven, but we are not cooking the turkey on convect - just bake. Does that make a difference?

You're welcome. I'm sorry everyone got sick but I'm glad no one got really bad! It's hard cooking turkeys. Every year my Dad insists the turkey is cooked and it's not cooked completely through. My husband has taken over carving it up and puts a lot back in the oven to keep cooking.
For a larger turkey it can save as much as an hour. I cook my turkey unstuffed on convection in about 2 1/2 hours (15 lbs). I used to stuff it but no one noticed the difference when I substituted Stove Top stuffing so I save myself the bother now.

You will need to roast it in a shallow pan. It turns out wonderfully brown on the outside and juicey (but cooked) on the inside. Meat thermometer is your best friend for telling whether it's ready or not.

There are great U tube videos you can watch on the topic. Once you cook one on convection you'll never go back.

So Butterball says the same thing. They don't recommend cooking a turkey on convention. Just standard oven/bake. Maybe that's why our turkey always seems to take so much longer to cook. In addition to the shiny pan, we've been using convect. Off to check the temperature on the bird.

That's just someone who doesn't know how to use a convection oven. The butterball people even talk about using a convection oven on their own website. Convection will cook your turkey more quickly not slower.

Cooking in a standard/regular oven is great and if that's what you're comfortable with by all means use that method. I was only trying to save you some time by suggesting another alternative you may not have considered.

Enjoy that bird, however it gets cooked.

I love this thread!

I’m cooking my first ever thanksgiving dinner tomorrow and I’m so nervous I’m going to screw it all up! The turkey is brining right now, and I’m heading to the store for my 1000th trip to pick up the things I’ve forgotten, but come tomorrow I might be calling that hotline!

And I’ll definitely roast it breast down and flip. Thanks for the suggestion!! Mine is smaller, just shy of 7 kilos, so I think it’ll work fine.

So an hour ago the turkey was not cooked enough. No problem. I said cook it another 30 minutes. My husband said an hour.

So now it's over done. :rolleyes: At least it's cooked. :D Gravy and cranberry sauce on it's way.

We usually go to my parents for holiday dinners. Unfortunately my mom's roast game is... not strong. There are so many things she does with the beef/turkey that drives me nuts.

I'd say she could definitely use the help of this line. But I'd also say that she would never actually call or text.

If you every have the chance try a deep fried turkey. Talk about less time. 15lb bird, max size in about 40mins, no stuffing. Juice, not greasy. yumyum
Reg bird I use a convection oven, make sure bird is covered. I have one of those ceramic dishes that has a full lid. last 1/2 hour take lid off and crown,crisp the skin.
Ugg I am at work and getting hungry now.

Because of mind and other family members work schedules we had our Thanksgiving dinner tonight. My wife found a recipe for double cranberry apple sauce and let me tell you all we will never buy cranberry in a can again.

The turkey was surprisingly NOT overcooked. :) Very tasty.

So I made cranberry sauce by mixing together 1 cup orange juice + 1 cup sugar + 1 bag of cranberries. Brought to a boil and then simmered until thick and then cooled in the fridge.

What is the double cranberry apple receipe? I like apples.

So I made cranberry sauce by mixing together 1 cup orange juice + 1 cup sugar + 1 bag of cranberries. Brought to a boil and then simmered until thick and then cooled in the fridge.

6 granny smith apples in small chunks, a bag of cranberries, 1 cup of sugar, half cup of water, 1 lemon sliced and pitted. Boil it then simmer 15 minutes, stir lots, become a saucier LOL. When it thickens remove from heat and add 3/4 cup of dried cranberries and stir some more. . We have a huge container left. It says can be kept for 2 weeks refrigerated. I doubt it will last a week with the recipes we looked up.

Glad to hear it worked out so well. Turkey sandwiches for lunch now, Yum.

until 2:30 yesterday it was just gonna be the hubby and myself until 7- ish tonight when our son will wander in until some point tomorrow. I figured on nothing but snaacks tonight and then tomorrow we'd just go out because our daughter and her wife are hosting Friendsgiving. Ok they got wind of where we're going sooo everyone will be here in an hour.

the duck is nothing if not practical and there's no way I have time to make an entire meal since the oven is already busy with the bread for the week ... swiss chalet to the rescue 🤣 we're gonna get an entire bird, everyone can pick their side (who am I kidding, fries all around), I've got butternut squash rolls rising on the counter and I flung a brick of Butterball frozen stuffing in the grocery cart this morning, that darned stuff can just be nuked from frozen! Grabbed a pumpkin pie and whipped cream, stopped at dollarama and bought plates, napkins and cups ... POOF Thanksgiving dinner 🦃🥧😜

until 2:30 yesterday it was just gonna be the hubby and myself until 7- ish tonight when our son will wander in until some point tomorrow. I figured on nothing but snaacks tonight and then tomorrow we'd just go out because our daughter and her wife are hosting Friendsgiving. Ok they got wind of where we're going sooo everyone will be here in an hour.

the duck is nothing if not practical and there's no way I have time to make an entire meal since the oven is already busy with the bread for the week ... swiss chalet to the rescue 🤣 we're gonna get an entire bird, everyone can pick their side (who am I kidding, fries all around), I've got butternut squash rolls rising on the counter and I flung a brick of Butterball frozen stuffing in the grocery cart this morning, that darned stuff can just be nuked from frozen! Grabbed a pumpkin pie and whipped cream, stopped at dollarama and bought plates, napkins and cups ... POOF Thanksgiving dinner 🦃🥧😜
Perfect! We can be there in 20 minutes LOL
We made a bread yesterday. I missed that I wish I had the time to make 3-4 every week. I spend almost 300 on the bread machine and only use it a few times a year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!