tv/vcr for minivan

stevepete

<font color=FF66FF>Gets excited when it comes to t
What size tv/vcr combo can fit between the seats of a minivan? I have seen both 9 inch and 13 inch screens. Also, where can I get the bag used to hang the tv? After reading the threads on driving with children, this sounds like a must!!

We bought a 13 inch tv/vcr that fits between the seats of my car (an Intrepid) so I'm sure it would fit between the seats of a minivan. I got the bag to secure it to the seats from jcwhitney.com. GREAT investment!!! I've been taping my DDs favorite shows this week for our drive down next week. Truly a sanity saver :)

We have a 9 inch tv/vcr that we use in our van on long trips. We have a Chevrolet Venture. We set ours on a plastic crate and use bungy cords to secure it. I looked up the bags on the site that was mentioned above. That might be an idea also! We use our TV in our camper also. And it is in our daughter's room the rest of the time.

It has been nice! I would like to use a double set of ear phone so we wouldn't have to listen to the movie while we are driving. That gets old after a while. I know all the words to more Disney movies than I care to admit!

It has been nice - especially when your kids are at the age that they don't sleep in the car as much - they can't read or really play many car games - you need some sort of entertainment beside snacks!

We set ours on a plastic crate and use bungy cords to secure it.
Just wanted to mention that bungee cords and a plastic crate are not a safe way to secure a TV in a van. If too much stress is placed on the bungee cords, (eiter by being stretched too much to hold the TV tighly in place, or in an accident), they stretch like rubber bands and can snap - just like a rubber band, but with much more dangerous results.

We did the bungee cord thing and and tv/vcr kept slipping anyway. Since I was a front seat passenger, I just kept an eye and/or hand on it. We definitely want to get something more secure. On our recent 7-hour trip, we had to listen to The Wiggles time and time again, along with Toy Story. I sing the songs in my sleep. I cannot imagine a trip w/o the tv/vcr. The only problem is that my eldest son (almost 3) got a little spoiled and asked to watch Toy Story when he got in our van to go the store!

I know a 13 inch willn ot fit between the seats of a Dodge Caravan. Been there , tried that. We bought a 9 inch TV/VCR and used a wedge that Target sells that had Velcro. It hold it secure for normal driving byt I doubt would be safe in a crash. anyway.... I found that having the TV between the seats Didn't work well for us. I bought a system online that has 2 five inch screens that attach to the back of the seat. The VCR/TV tuner is the size of a home VCR and for now we have it in the floor board between the 2 middle seats. Eventually We will move it to better spot, behind one of the 2nd row seats, standing on end.
A quicker and cheaper option to this is the Steel Horse version of hte TV in a bag. AS far as I know it is the only one that has the screens that are not attached to the VCP. This way you can hang the bag where it will be out of the way, and strap the screen to the head rest. You can also buy extra screens for it.

We have a Dodge Caravan and bought a 9 inch tv/vcr combo that is secured between the seats with a bag from JCWhitney. I can not imagine anything bigger than a nine inch tv in the van. As is it, we have taken out the middle seat and have our three kids sit in the way back seat. If they sat in the middle, they would be way to close to the screen. It sticks out quite a bit. We are very pleased with the bag and the tv combo, I can't believe we waited this long to get one. The bag was about $60, but worth every penny.
Amy

My sister and her family have a 9 inch tv/vcr that have used in the Dodge Caravan and can set it in between the front with no problem. HOWEVER, this weekend we tried the tv in our Olds Silhouette and it doesn't. Not enough room between the driver and passenger seat

Anyone have an Olds Silhouette and made it work? Help!!!

Michelle

We had a 9-inch that we wedged between seatbacks and on the armrests of the front seats. A 13-inch would have been too big. Even the 9-inch was inconvenient to the front seat passengers (no armrest).

So...we finally gave in a got a van with a built-in DVD player. That's always an option (although an expensive one!).

9" ac/dc on sale at Best Buy (Symphonic) for $179 and we've had it in our Windstar for 4 years. Love it. It's my daughter's tv at home until we need it in the van. I bought ratcheting tie down straps for securing it. Getting hit by a drunk without insurance at 55 mph can make that tv a big heavy projectile. Forget about bunji cords please!

for about $1000 and up, you can go have a vcr/dvd installed, with either flip down screen, or a couple of screens in the head rests, depending on the vehicle. Wired directly in to the electrical sytem of the vehicle.

For a couple hundred you can get a lcd screen, attached to the vcr or dvd player, which comes in a bag (tv in a bag) with straps that go around the seats, and attach to the seat rails on the bottom, etc. Try target, best buy, circuit city, etc. plug into the lighter/power outlet

store bought tapes will work better than home recorded ones.

I saw a DVD/TV especially for minivans in the Sears Wish List catalogue. There were quite a few actually but the best one seemed to be about $700. It sat on the floor between the seats with an angled 9-inch monitor up. Too much for us right now. Oh well...

You can get the bag at www.jcwhitney.com for $49.95. After shipping it comes to $59.94. I've checked at Targets and have been told the bag has been discontinued. We also looked at KMart, Radio Shack, and Best Buy.

Once at JC Whitney's website look under electronics then video. When I found the bag I had to click on it a couple of times. The first attempt rendered the generic "page no longer available" message.

i was just in Target yesterday in the TV area and the had a whole (about 10 foot) aisle full of different types of bags for tv/vcr combinations and the little video players with flip up screens. I didn't look carfully since we were looking for a big TV, but i did see bags for the 9 inch TVs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter