Two Kids, Two Parents....One Hotel Room?

When my kids were younger the 5 of us would share a hotel room if we didn't find a suite in our price range.
Our kids have always been night owls so it was never an issue. On vacation we didn't really force an early bedtime, and when they did go to sleep they were out like a light just due to the busy day.

After a long day at the parks in the sun, my kids slept better on vacation than they did at home? Just make sure the little ones get out of the stroller and walk, play, run, and swim as much as they can.

What an odd thing! Even when the kids were infants, toddlers? Or did you not travel when they were tiny?

BreatheRight strips saved my marriage until my husband lost enough weight to stop snoring. And they're a lot cheaper than an extra room ;)
We did not travel at all with our kids until they were 4 & 6. Any trips we have taken with them, we have always stayed in a suite, where we had our own bedroom. I like my space. Even at home my kids are not allowed in my room, unless really sick. Disney has been the one exception bc 2 rooms are expensive.

Growing up, our family of 5 (me as the only girlchild and two brothers plus our parents) would always share a room, I'd get a rollaway when they offered it or we'd just plan for an air mattress. there was ONE trip in my entire life up to age 18 when my parents sprung for two adjoining rooms, it was such a luxury but we all ended up hanging out in one room most of the time anyway.

Now with our family (2 boys age 10 and 12 and hubby and I) we also share a room. The kids are getting bigger and we might need to spring for hotels with larger beds due to my boys getting taller, but they share a room at home so sharing sleeping space on vacation is NBD. And as others have mentioned, especially with Disney vacations we are so tired at the end of each day that we ALL crash at the end of the night. If hubby and I go out after the kids nod off for a nightcap, they're old enough to manage.

When it's just me and the two children traveling, we do a regular hotel room. When my DH comes, we have to have a 1 bedroom Villa. He snores, the baby/ toddler wakes all night, it is NOT conducive to anyone having a nice vacation. I know not everyone has the issues we have, but every family works differently or the larger room choices wouldn't be available.

We - me, DH, 2 teens, share 1 room. Have since they were born. Not once have we had to whisper, tip toe, etc. They fall asleep, we carry on with TV, cleaning, etc.

They are man-sized these days ( :( ), too, and it still works just fine for the 4 of us in a value.

We are a family of 5 and still share! Current ages out our kids are 18, 2 days shy of 16 and 13.

When they were little, my oldest would pass out with the lights on when we got back from the park. DH and I would be talking, the TV on and we would look and she was out and oh and so was her brother. Three kids the same thing. Lights out. Even in the morning they would not budge with me getting up and showering. I had to slowly open the curtains to let light in and then start to arouse them.

We went to Disney August 2018 and spent 5 nights at the BC and 5 nights at the Poly and we were all in dreamland. Even my husband when I was headed out to do laundry at 6am.

We love a suite! But staying in a regular hotel room is our go-to for cost savings. We have an almost 4 year old and a 1 year old.

We love a suite! But staying in a regular hotel room is our go-to for cost savings. We have an almost 4 year old and a 1 year old.
I love a suite too but the prices WDW charges for one in a deluxe hotel are kind of crazy. We'll spend part of our Christmas vacation in DC in a junior suite at one of the premier hotels in the city for almost the same price as a CL room in the Epcot area.

We do suites and villas. Our upcoming trip is to Gran Destino in a deluxe suite which has a separate living room and bedroom. We splurged for CL to make life that much easier in terms of breakfast, snacks, and extra space to hang out in.

Last edited:
Those of you that have two kids...do you share one regular hotel room?

We have a 9 year old and a 2 year old. My husband works nights and so naturally stays up late even on vacation. Tiptoeing around sleeping kids every night in a little hotel room is not an appealing option. Plus I doubt the 2 year old will go to sleep if she can see us.

Last time we went before our youngest was born, my mother went and shared an adjoining room with our daughter (AKL). Time before that we got a junior suite at CSR which worked well.

So I guess my options are either adjoining rooms again (but those aren’t guaranteed and obviously my kids can’t be alone down the hall!) or a one bedroom villa (I’d have to rent points I guess). Either way will be pricey! (AKL or maybe WL, we’re thinking)

Some friends of ours think we’re nuts to not just share a room with the kids. Just curious what others do!
I'm with your friends, lol. Yes we share a room with our kids. I guess if I had more money than I'd know what to do with I'd maybe consider some kind of suite instead of just 1 room, but otherwise we just share whatever room we have.

Suites make life so much easier - we are a family of 5. We have done Disney in a single room with 2 beds (plus pack and play for our youngest) and we've done suites (AOA, All Star Music etc.) and suites will always get my vote. AOA was actually great for our last trip because my husband and I got the bedroom, our 2 girls shared the Murphy bed and our oldest (boy) had the pull out couch. We put them to bed, shut our door each night and we all slept great. It's not even so much about the sleeping arrangements, its the 2 bathrooms! 1 bathroom gets tight after a couple of days. I guess it depends on your kids ages, your own comfort level, your budget etc. We are definitely past the one standard hotel room stage now that our youngest is 4 and we probably won't ever go back to that unless we have no other options.

We normally get a room with a separate livingroom set up. At disney we stay off site at Sheraton vistana or a family suite at pop or As music
We like watching tv and i dont want cartoons so thats nice as well

We have four kods now but last time we did Disney we only had two. We did a standard room at Sports. Put the kids to bed then sat in the area with the sink with the curtain drawn. However as the trip went on we went to bed earlier. Kids slept sounder after a Disney day than any other day.
This time we're doing two rooms but my Dad is going too. When we do other places we do prefer suites however only if it's not much more expensive than a standard room. And it's not a must have either. We booked a standard room for a recent vacation this summer and kids slept three in a bed but my nine year old complained about it. Last year they slept three in a bed happily ignoring a pull out couch. Recently we've done Air B&Bs that give us a lot of space for the price of a standard hotel room. However I wouldn't want to sacrifice the on site benefits at Disney to do it that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!