Two Kids, Two Parents....One Hotel Room?

We are a family of 5 and usually do one hotel room, it’s always been fine, especially at Disney. My kids can hang until the late evening (9, 7, and 4) so we usually stay until park close then all head back and go to bed at the same time. They’re out in minutes and DH and I play on our phones or whatever until we fall asleep. Though as they get older we will look into doing more suite-style rooms for more privacy.

Kids are 14 & 11. We do one room. At this point, we all go to bed at the same time anyway. When they were younger, DH would just watch a movie on his laptop with headphones and I'd read on my Kindle Paperwhite. We sometimes do a one-bedroom DVC but not always - and two cruise cabins aren't in the budget so we make do. At least on cruises they get their own beds which makes it easier. Otherwise DD is with my and DS is with DH.

My kiddos are 8 & 10. We get a cabin at FW. We all sleep in the same room (kids love the bunk beds!), but we have the option of getting up before/staying up later than the kiddos in the living room or on the deck. Works great for us!

We only have one kid, but I will admit to being the problem in my family (which would be true with two or more kids, too). My husband and daughter are fine in the same space, but I struggle to sleep with my daughter in the same room. I manage with ear plugs so we mostly just get one room, but if we did get another room it would be for my sake.

On point article in today's NYT about the "history" of family vacations through pictures and text: a family of 7 in a station wagon with 3 pieces of luggage; a family of five who hitchhiked from Toronto to NYC with $32.00 in their pockets and returned home with $4.00 (OK, they were unusual), and a mother and her sons sleeping on a plane going from NYC to FL wearing their Sunday best.

This all took place between the '50's and '70's and as Maurice Chevalier sang in Gigi "...Ah! I remember it well!..."

I would guess that at least two of the families shared rooms.

Here's my opinion for what it's worth. Spend your money wisely in a manner that gives you the best sense of your version of relaxation.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/26/travel/family-vacation.html
HTH

We are a family with 4 kids, and we always stay in one room (when possible, within the hotel's rules.) We have sometimes gone to Disney with just some of our kids (our oldest is in college now) so the 5 of us stayed in one room at the Boardwalk, or 4 of us staying in one room at CSR.
I grew up with 2 brothers and 2 parents, and we ALWAYS stayed in just one room; at Disney once (at the Contemporary) and even just on any hotel stay anywhere. When my parents needed privacy to talk, they made us kids wait in the bathroom (yeah, I think that's awful and would not do that to my kids!)

My kids are young, but I can't imagine booking two separate rooms for our family of 4 (or even a family of 5, if we have another) at this point. Expense aside, we do see our Disney family vacations as bonding time, so it's no big deal. We do live in a small house and our children share a bedroom, so sharing space is pretty normal to us. We can sit out on the balcony to hang out if the kids are asleep early (I always request a balcony!).

We have children similar ages to you and as much as I considered something separate because I hate being crammed into a smaller space with everyone on what is supposed to be a vacation, I did not feel comfortable with two kids sleeping in a separate area from us, or if it's just a separate living room, them having too much space for a little one to wander around while we may be snoring away. So we stay Deluxe if possible, for the largest space for our $, and also for an outdoor balcony or patio to spend time in while the kids are asleep.

I guess it all depends on your family dynamics and what you are comfortable with. I laugh and joke that my family of 5 could live in a studio apartment and do just fine! haha... But that is the type of family we are, we enjoy being with one another like that and kids are always sleeping in their duvet's on the floor etc... Others (like my brother in law) have to have their kids away in a separate space and there is no cohabiting in that sense.... works for them so I won't complain etc..

My kids can sleep anywhere post Disney sessions, so being on a bunk bed, sofa bed, murphy bed, chair... floor! lol They don't care, I guess they perhaps would be more bothered by my snoring than anything... so perhaps they want me out and not the other way around?! lol

Just do whatever you are comfortable with

I guess it all depends on your family dynamics and what you are comfortable with. I laugh and joke that my family of 5 could live in a studio apartment and do just fine! haha... But that is the type of family we are, we enjoy being with one another like that and kids are always sleeping in their duvet's on the floor etc... Others (like my brother in law) have to have their kids away in a separate space and there is no cohabiting in that sense.... works for them so I won't complain etc..

My kids can sleep anywhere post Disney sessions, so being on a bunk bed, sofa bed, murphy bed, chair... floor! lol They don't care, I guess they perhaps would be more bothered by my snoring than anything... so perhaps they want me out and not the other way around?! lol

Just do whatever you are comfortable with
Our family is the same way:) We have a great time no matter what size room we are in.

Never even thought of having a 2nd room or a suite for just the 4 of us, we really like the family time the standard room gives us. From the moment our DDs were born we always had some sort of sound (normally music) playing when we put them down to sleep and we always had a light on. I think this played a big factor when we went on trips, because once they were asleep (again we didn't have to all lay in the the dark for them to fall asleep) we could talk or watch TV without them waking up. Yes once in a while they would wake up but they would fall back asleep pretty quickly. DH and I like to stay up a bit later to prepare for the next day and to talk and relax and I cringe when I see posts of parents having to lay down with the room totally dark and quite to get their kids to sleep at 7 or 8:eek:

Not sure if they'll extend the benefits, but right now, several Disney Springs hotels have almost all the benefits of an on site hotel. And some of those Disney Springs hotels have suites. I've been eyeing them for a possible trip in 2020. We are a family of four, and can share a room okay...but if I can swing it, I like the space the suites afford.

Our family of 4 (girls age 9 and 6 at the time) slept in a bunk bed room at WL last trip. It was tight, but doable. I'm pretty sure renting points for a 1br villa would have been more expensive and I certainly would not want to down grade to a value so we could 2 rooms.

We pretty much went to bed around the same time and if DH and I wanted to stay up and read the girls were so tired the light didn't bother them. We also had the balcony we could sit out and relax on. DH and I also took turns going out at night. I

My family of 4 (myself, DH, DS12 and DS9) has always shared one room. Never even crossed my mind to get 2 rooms. But honestly, this is the best advice:

My suggestion is that you do what works best for your family. It doesn't really matter what works for other families -- it's *your* vacation.

Those of you that have two kids...do you share one regular hotel room?

We have a 9 year old and a 2 year old. My husband works nights and so naturally stays up late even on vacation. Tiptoeing around sleeping kids every night in a little hotel room is not an appealing option. Plus I doubt the 2 year old will go to sleep if she can see us.

Last time we went before our youngest was born, my mother went and shared an adjoining room with our daughter (AKL). Time before that we got a junior suite at CSR which worked well.

So I guess my options are either adjoining rooms again (but those aren’t guaranteed and obviously my kids can’t be alone down the hall!) or a one bedroom villa (I’d have to rent points I guess). Either way will be pricey! (AKL or maybe WL, we’re thinking)

Some friends of ours think we’re nuts to not just share a room with the kids. Just curious what others do!

After a long day at the parks in the sun, my kids slept better on vacation than they did at home? Just make sure the little ones get out of the stroller and walk, play, run, and swim as much as they can.

We won’t share a hotel room as a family. Since we had one child we have always gotten a suite anywhere we go. We own dvc now and mostly do one bedrooms for our family of five. If I had to do one hotel room, I’d stay home.

What an odd thing! Even when the kids were infants, toddlers? Or did you not travel when they were tiny?

We are a family of 3 and we rarely share one hotel room. We typically do 1-bedroom villas or 1-bedroom suites at Swan/Dolphin. My DH snores and I have to have a place to go when he wakes me up. It costs more, of course, but I would be an exhausted mess everyday otherwise.

BreatheRight strips saved my marriage until my husband lost enough weight to stop snoring. And they're a lot cheaper than an extra room ;)

After a long day at the parks in the sun, my kids slept better on vacation than they did at home? Just make sure the little ones get out of the stroller and walk, play, run, and swim as much as they can.

What an odd thing! Even when the kids were infants, toddlers? Or did you not travel when they were tiny?

BreatheRight strips saved my marriage until my husband lost enough weight to stop snoring. And they're a lot cheaper than an extra room ;)
We’ve traveled since our first was three months old. Not nice to call people odd! Different from you perhaps, but not odd. Yes, even when they were infants/toddlers. It meant they could go to bed as usual and my husband and I could enjoy our evening. People always marvelled at how we traveled the world with our kids. It’s easy when everyone is well rested and as comfortable as we are at home. Having the space meant it was a fun vacation for everyone. Wouldn’t have done it any other way. We have literally been to every continent and spent extended time away. Would never have happened if it meant one hotel room.

Last edited:
If we can afford having the kids in a separate area, we do it. DH really dislikes being in the same room as the kids as we like to stay up later and if they see us, the youngest at least won't go to bed. Our kids are 9(girl) and 3(boy). I dislike having us all in the same room because DH and both kids snore loudly and the sound of all 3 chainsawing all at different beats sounds like a really bad garage band comprised of toddlers and prevents me from sleeping.

We put up with it in regular hotels (when we stay in them it's not really ever a vacation but usually visiting family or something), but on vacation, we'd rather splurge and have the kids in a separate area. We really enjoyed a SSR Villa on our last trip with the kids in the living room. I'm thinking our next trip may be in a FW cabin. As of yet, off-site hasn't been worth it to us because of then having to rent a car, pay for parking, take car seats on the plane, and drive in Disney traffic.

If we can afford having the kids in a separate area, we do it. DH really dislikes being in the same room as the kids as we like to stay up later and if they see us, the youngest at least won't go to bed. Our kids are 9(girl) and 3(boy). I dislike having us all in the same room because DH and both kids snore loudly and the sound of all 3 chainsawing all at different beats sounds like a really bad garage band comprised of toddlers and prevents me from sleeping.

We put up with it in regular hotels (when we stay in them it's not really ever a vacation but usually visiting family or something), but on vacation, we'd rather splurge and have the kids in a separate area. We really enjoyed a SSR Villa on our last trip with the kids in the living room. I'm thinking our next trip may be in a FW cabin. As of yet, off-site hasn't been worth it to us because of then having to rent a car, pay for parking, take car seats on the plane, and drive in Disney traffic.
Yes, this! It's fine to have one room but for more than a one night stay, it really is nice to have the space. I am a huge night owl.

We’ve traveled since our first was three months old. Not nice to call people odd! Different from you perhaps, but not odd. Yes, even when they were infants/toddlers. It meant they could go to bed as usual and my husband and I could enjoy our evening. People always marvelled at how we traveled the world with our kids. It’s easy when everyone is well rested and as comfortable as we are at home. Having the space meant it was a fun vacation for everyone. Wouldn’t have done it any other way. We have literally been to every continent and spent extended time away. Would never have happened if it meant one hotel room.

Did not call people odd, unless you think I called them things too! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter