Two new Podcast members...still no diversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really when you know the history of the song itself, personally. The film was misguided in all ways not some. Like I said sometimes nostalgia makes it hard to examine ugly truths. Also, Just because something wins an Oscar doesn’t mean it’s great.

I... kinda disagree. The film was misguided and naive yes, but with good intentions. Walt loved the Uncle Remus stories, which (and I may be wrong) originated from the Brer Rabbit African American folklore. He wanted a movie that celebrated the philosophy of these stories. He originally hired a left-wing political radical to write the script because he specifically didn't want the movie to portray Remus as an "Uncle Tom." Walt wanted a point of view that would challenge these stereotypes. Unfortunately the original screenwriter left production and the film suffered from it. But that's evidence that Walt had good intentions... that he wanted to do the right thing with this film.

This topic comes up from time to time. I'm actually at the point that I think the most helpful, aside from expressing one's concerns directly to the DIS team by contacting them directly as they have already hashed it out time and time again regarding they welcome and encourage anyone who is interested or knows someone who is interested to contact them, (eta: looks like that aspect has already been covered), is to actually on the Community Board ask for people to help locating podcasts of xyz.

I'm kinda doubtful The DIS would have much of an issue with that (eta: though I may be speaking incorrectly) given that people have done that from time to time such as "where's a good place to find parks music" "what other podcasts/YouTube shows you watch" (like The Tim Tracker and the like), "anyone know of podcasters for pooh-sized people", etc.

That seems to me an excellent way of directing people immediately to podcasts that may showcase specific interests and some posters have already done that on this thread. I appreciate those who have posted other Podcasters to listen to :)

Not a POC Disney show, but I am a big fan of Double Toasted. It is probably my favorite movie, TV, pop culture podcast/vlog right now.

I second this recommendation.

Also, I don’t believe they do a podcast, but we’ve gone 10 pages without noting that the host of most content produced by the official disney Parks blog channel is a POC, and also really funny and awesome in general. Shame on all of you for forgetting about Mark Daniel.

I personally wish they'd get some more people who are parents of young kids. I'm pretty sure Julie is the only one. Even better if that person is a POC.

I love the show, but there is very little diversity in thought of how they experience and interact with the Disney Parks. I think a POC, especially an African American, and more parents would help with that a lot. I like Denny, but I really don't think she added anything to the dynamic.

Also, what happened to Charles?

“I left to hunt down a secret cache of Spanish gold in the Caribbean. Haven't found it yet. This piracy stuff turned out to be way more complicated than I expected. I can't even name all the sails yet, and I'm still learning my knots.”

His words, not mine...
Interesting

I personally wish they'd get some more people who are parents of young kids. I'm pretty sure Julie is the only one. Even better if that person is a POC.

I love the show, but there is very little diversity in thought of how they experience and interact with the Disney Parks. I think a POC, especially an African American, and more parents would help with that a lot. I like Denny, but I really don't think she added anything to the dynamic.

Also, what happened to Charles?
I really like this idea. More viewpoints the better imo.

So, what I'm hearing we need is a person for each diversity category. Does this also include Bigfoots? I need someone who can tell me if I'm too tall and hairy to fit on certain attractions. Still reeling over being turned away at Avatar because I would "scare the banshees".

Diversity comes in all forms. Where is the representation of seniors at Disney??? One touring guide gives 2 paragraphs to it.
There are ALOT of us "older" folks who love Disney and go there frequently. Just as there are other groups of people who visit. I wish they had a senior citizen to give there viewpoints too. But I can see that they would want to pull from the Travel Agency pool of employees who have alot of experience in all areas of dealing with Disney, and that is their choice in the end.

So, what I'm hearing we need is a person for each diversity category. Does this also include Bigfoots? I need someone who can tell me if I'm too tall and hairy to fit on certain attractions. Still reeling over being turned away at Avatar because I would "scare the banshees".

It’s a straw man. A rabbit hole that never ends once you cave in.

Diversity comes in all forms. Where is the representation of seniors at Disney??? One touring guide gives 2 paragraphs to it.
There are ALOT of us "older" folks who love Disney and go there frequently. Just as there are other groups of people who visit. I wish they had a senior citizen to give there viewpoints too. But I can see that they would want to pull from the Travel Agency pool of employees who have alot of experience in all areas of dealing with Disney, and that is their choice in the end.
From a business stand point, if you are selling Disney trips or DVC seniors should be one of your prime targets. They are the ones paying for many of these family vacations and buying DVC for family trips.

From a business stand point, if you are selling Disney trips or DVC seniors should be one of your prime targets. They are the ones paying for many of these family vacations and buying DVC for family trips.
I agree, but I don't think Disney cares. I used to write a guest column for another site on Disney and Seniors, which was well received by a large number of people. I was surprised at the amount of people who were interested in the aspects of planning, visiting the parks, how to handle things at an older age, etc. It was eye opening.

How old are we talking I beileve some of the guys on here are some what older 60+.

How old are we talking I beileve some of the guys on here are some what older 60+.
We just turned 70's. We are healthy and ride all the rides and walk all those miles, just like everyone else (maybe not as fast, LOL). We go at least once a year and have no signs of stopping. It's a fun, safe place to roam for seniors and younger people too:)

Generally the point of panel discussions is to have a difference in opinion or outlook. Not much point in having 6 people if they are all going to say the same thing the same way.

Having different takes also broadens your audience.

There is PLENTY of age diversity in terms of senior citizens. I was relieved to see the addition of Morgan. She's a younger woman with a very different perspective. Just like I appreciate Julie's presence. She adds a mom's perspective. She has little kids, the others do not.

As a family of 5 with a Grandma that comes along, I would like the perspective of not having a room that sleeps 6 on property.

As a family of 5 with a Grandma that comes along, I would like the perspective of not having a room that sleeps 6 on property.
Along with that for me it'd be more having adults in general.

Many of the rooms are more set up for 1-2 adults (maybe 3 but comfortability ends up taking a backseat often) and the rest being kids.

Lodging for more adult-oriented trips are harder to find often needing DVC or multiple rooms. It's something Universal has a leg up on Disney for that.

BUT it'd be nice to have more discussion based on places that could be recommended more when it's just adults including when you want separate sleeping areas. That said I get it that the DIS is Disney on-site oriented so that may not be their area of focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter