Two weeks to go! First Timer questions

superdeluxe

Mouseketeer
its really starting to get real, I’ve been asking you all questions and you have been so great!

** We’re flying in on March 4th to John Wayne. We will have a 7 yo and 2.5. We are staying at Fairfield Inn on south Harbor.

We’re still trying to figure out transport and if we want to haul two kids seats with us (for shared shuttle (kamel?)) or take the Disneyland express bus (no kids seats, but I’ve read horror stories). Or we saw this private van service called 4 most coach and they provide car seats

We will likely go to Disneyland on day one (Sunday) Disneyland beckons on day two (Monday) and World of color dessert party on day three (Tuesday). Day Four we have a character breakfast at PCH grill.

More questions, we have email tickets from Last Minute Travel. I was told that we can take these directly to the gate and do not have to change them at box office, correct?

Can we load these tickets to the app? Or can we only load them to the app once we pass the gate? Multipass we can add to the app once we get get inside correct?

Can someone point out again how the ride switch works on the fast pass with parents and little ones? Or general fast pass tips? Like we can only have one fast pass loaded at a time

Other great tips that we have now scheduled due to everyone here is renting a stroller from LA stroller and also having deliveries
Amazon prime now

More questions, we have email tickets from Last Minute Travel. I was told that we can take these directly to the gate and do not have to change them at box office, correct?
Correct. At the turnstile the CM will scan the barcode on the LMTC email , take your photo with a hand held device and will print out the regular Disney tickets.

Can we load these tickets to the app? Or can we only load them to the app once we pass the gate? Multipass we can add to the app once we get get inside correct?
You need to have the regular Disney tickets to load to the app, so 2 jobs once you are scanned in past the entrance turnstile.

I have read here that you can add lmtclub tickets to your account even w/o a hard tix.

We always fly into SNA. We have rented a car, taken a shuttle, and taken Uber. All are super easy and reasonably priced. DD and I took this one - http://www.snashuttle.com
You would need car seats for any transportation choice.

I do not know what horror stories you have read about the Disneyland Resort Express, but if I were traveling with young children I would not even consider any other transportation. Just make sure you get the right one. There are copycats out there.

We were able to load our LMT email tickets/vouchers to the DLR app by scanning the bar codes. We loaded them before entering the parks. You will have to wait until you go through the turnstiles to purchase MaxPass for each ticket. Take clear photos of each voucher (especially the bar codes) so that you have copies in case something happens to your tickets.
People have recommended Lansky for transportation from SNA to DLR. From what I understand, they will provide car seats. They also will make one short stop on the way to the hotel if you want to pick up some groceries.
Do a search on this forum for recent threads on child swap at DLR (the rules changed last year) and for Fast Pass and Max Pass. You'll get lots of good information that way.

We were able to load our LMT email tickets/vouchers to the DLR app by scanning the bar codes. We loaded them before entering the parks. You will have to wait until you go through the turnstiles to purchase MaxPass for each ticket. Take clear photos of each voucher (especially the bar codes) so that you have copies in case something happens to your tickets.
People have recommended Lansky for transportation from SNA to DLR. From what I understand, they will provide car seats. They also will make one short stop on the way to the hotel if you want to pick up some groceries.
Do a search on this forum for recent threads on child swap at DLR (the rules changed last year) and for Fast Pass and Max Pass. You'll get lots of good information that way.
Were you able to name your LMT tickets when you loaded them onto the app at home before scanning them into the parks?

Regarding Maxpass, you add it when you get into the park - make sure you have a credit card loaded to your Disney account. It will ask you for the 3-digit code on the back of the card. You can book your first FP immediately, even if the park isn’t open yet.

You can pull a new FP as soon as your ride window opens (so if the FP is good from 9-10, you can pull another at 9) but there’s also a 30-minute minimum and a 90 minute maximum. So if you pull a FP at 9:15 and it’s good from 9:30-10:30, you can’t pull another one until 30 minutes later at 9:45 (unless you use the first one; then you can pull another). Also, if you pull one for much later in the day, you can get a new one 90 minutes later. It will tell you when you can pull your next one, but knowing the “rules” can help with strategy.

Because of this, if I want a FP for something with a later return time like Space Mountain or RSR, I usually try to load up/use as many “quick return time” FPs as I can before I pull that one and get stuck for 90 minutes. Obviously you don’t want your big ride to run out, so keep an eye on the app for that, but if it’s 10:00 and I pull a 2:00 RSR, that’s a lot of wasted FP time at a time of day when a lot of FPs have very close return times. If I can use FP to ride Goofy’s Sky School at 10:05, then Soarin’ at 10:30, and then book a 3:30 RSR, that’s more efficient. Having said that, RSR is the FP that “runs out” soonest each day, so if you only have one day at DCA, I’d prioritize that. I actually don’t think Maxpass is necessary on DCA-only days because there are less FP rides there, for the record.

I hope that makes sense! I often have 3 FPs at a time because once I have a later one, I book every 90 minutes and they start piling up...

Regarding Maxpass, you add it when you get into the park - make sure you have a credit card loaded to your Disney account. It will ask you for the 3-digit code on the back of the card. You can book your first FP immediately, even if the park isn’t open yet.

You can pull a new FP as soon as your ride window opens (so if the FP is good from 9-10, you can pull another at 9) but there’s also a 30-minute minimum and a 90 minute maximum. So if you pull a FP at 9:15 and it’s good from 9:30-10:30, you can’t pull another one until 30 minutes later at 9:45 (unless you use the first one; then you can pull another). Also, if you pull one for much later in the day, you can get a new one 90 minutes later. It will tell you when you can pull your next one, but knowing the “rules” can help with strategy.

Because of this, if I want a FP for something with a later return time like Space Mountain or RSR, I usually try to load up/use as many “quick return time” FPs as I can before I pull that one and get stuck for 90 minutes. Obviously you don’t want your big ride to run out, so keep an eye on the app for that, but if it’s 10:00 and I pull a 2:00 RSR, that’s a lot of wasted FP time at a time of day when a lot of FPs have very close return times. If I can use FP to ride Goofy’s Sky School at 10:05, then Soarin’ at 10:30, and then book a 3:30 RSR, that’s more efficient. Having said that, RSR is the FP that “runs out” soonest each day, so if you only have one day at DCA, I’d prioritize that. I actually don’t think Maxpass is necessary on DCA-only days because there are less FP rides there, for the record.

I hope that makes sense! I often have 3 FPs at a time because once I have a later one, I book every 90 minutes and they start piling up...
@Skyegirl1999 Would you still recommend not using MaxPass if you only have one day in DCA in early August & want to ride as many rides as possible plus do PTN & maybe the Frozen show too? Trying to convince hubby that MaxPass is worth it for us & our 6 kids!!!

@Skyegirl1999 Would you still recommend not using MaxPass if you only have one day in DCA in early August & want to ride as many rides as possible plus do PTN & maybe the Frozen show too? Trying to convince hubby that MaxPass is worth it for us & our 6 kids!!!
Forgot to add we will have EMH & definitely plan to use it on our only DCA day! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Aha! Didn't read closely enough and confused you with the OP.

I was there in September and went straight for RSR. Grabbed a fastpass on the way, rode a couple of times and then used the fastpass. GOG was busy every time we went. Never made it first thing during EMH but were definitely within the first 15 minutes and it was a 45 minute wait.

Have fun!

I do not know what horror stories you have read about the Disneyland Resort Express, but if I were traveling with young children I would not even consider any other transportation. Just make sure you get the right one. There are copycats out there.

On Yelp lol. I’m just concerned we might stuck at the airport with young children

. Thank you so much so detailed!

On Yelp lol. I’m just concerned we might stuck at the airport with young children
Worse comes to worst, and you do get stuck (it's ok, not gonna happen :)) there are shuttle desks by the car rentals. The one I recommended in my previous post has their own little office by the pickup area. You can book it there, not that you'll need it ;)

I've used super shuttle and karmel shuttle and had a pleasant experience with both , i've ubered to and from hotels (hard to connect with driver some times) and I've used the ART (super easy and convenient), my sister also just rented a car (they have 4 kids) if your hotel has free parking this could be a great option instead of shuttle (usually if you rent for 4.5 days you'll get the week price even if you return early)

We bring our car seats and uber. Does anyone know if they still have flat rate taxi's? I might do that instead if the quote is looking high for that time of day.
I just don't trust other peoples car seats and if they've been dropped or in a wreck, etc. I use our seat for our 2.5 and 3.5 on the plane anyway. That gives opportunity for naps. And they are just content in their seats. They know in the car seat we sit and wait to get out. So they follow that same principle on the plane. Instead of wanting to run up and down the aisles and terrorize the rest of the plane!

We entered our LMT ticket directly to the app already and named the tickets. Our next trip is in March.

Well, using Maxpass is absolutely more convenient and efficient than not using Maxpass. And any day you're park-hopping, I think it's totally worth it, and I think it's worth it on DL-only days, too.

But at DCA at the moment, the in-demand FPs are RSR, Toy Story, GOTG, and Soarin' (the last three days I've gone, they've disappeared in that order). Those are not hard to hit without Maxpass if you're also rope-dropping, and if you have EMH, even better. You can hit a couple during EMH, send a runner for the others at the right points during the day - also at the moment, with the TSMM FPs over by Little Mermaid, nothing except Goofy's Sky School is even very "far" for a runner.

Having said that, your trip is in August, so you'll have to add the Incredicoaster, which could be a game-changer simply because it's so far back in the park that sending a "runner" is kind of an ordeal, and it may make it so that it's hard to get all of the FPs in before they run out if you end up with a couple of 2-hour waits... and Grizzly is more popular in the summer... so it's a little bit more of a toss-up. Do I think you NEED Maxpass to do all of them in one day? Nope, particularly not with EMH. But would it be NICE not to have to send a FP runner around all day? Would it make the day less stressful to have Maxpass? Yup!

That's my assessment, anyway. Once the Incredicoaster arrives (and we see if they jack up Maxpass prices for the summer), then I think there will be a better understanding of how Maxpass is functioning at DCA.

Well, using Maxpass is absolutely more convenient and efficient than not using Maxpass. And any day you're park-hopping, I think it's totally worth it, and I think it's worth it on DL-only days, too.

But at DCA at the moment, the in-demand FPs are RSR, Toy Story, GOTG, and Soarin' (the last three days I've gone, they've disappeared in that order). Those are not hard to hit without Maxpass if you're also rope-dropping, and if you have EMH, even better. You can hit a couple during EMH, send a runner for the others at the right points during the day - also at the moment, with the TSMM FPs over by Little Mermaid, nothing except Goofy's Sky School is even very "far" for a runner.

Having said that, your trip is in August, so you'll have to add the Incredicoaster, which could be a game-changer simply because it's so far back in the park that sending a "runner" is kind of an ordeal, and it may make it so that it's hard to get all of the FPs in before they run out if you end up with a couple of 2-hour waits... and Grizzly is more popular in the summer... so it's a little bit more of a toss-up. Do I think you NEED Maxpass to do all of them in one day? Nope, particularly not with EMH. But would it be NICE not to have to send a FP runner around all day? Would it make the day less stressful to have Maxpass? Yup!

That's my assessment, anyway. Once the Incredicoaster arrives (and we see if they jack up Maxpass prices for the summer), then I think there will be a better understanding of how Maxpass is functioning at DCA.
Thanks for the advice! I really hope they don't increase the price of MaxPass this summer before we are really priced out of it-$80/day for 3 days is $$$. I am the FP runner in our group & my DH hates it that I'm always disappearing to get FP's but he also is the frugal one so it will be interesting to see what happens!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts