Typical release dates for Spring cruise bookings?

lodge

DIS Veteran
Hello. We are eager to cruise again. What is the typical release date (month would be fine, just narrowed down a little would help) for Spring cruise bookings?

What say you- is it less costly to book opening day or a GTY rate late in the booking process? We became hooked on verandas last cruise! Thank you for your continued contribution to great advice and info here on the DIS!

Usually it's late September through mid-October.

It depends on the cruise. Any cruise that's over a holiday period, spring break, or in the summer is usually cheapest booking on opening day. Also cruises that are unique but during non-peak seasons (e.g. Hawaii, British Isles, Panama Canal) are usually cheapest opening day.

Cruises that happen all year long, or during the school holidays, often have a GTY...but there's no way of knowing. I just saw that DCL has a spectacular GTY deal on this year's Oct. 12 Bermuda sailing. Bermuda is a unique cruise, but it's also during the school year. Most of the 3- and 4-night Caribbean cruises usually have some kind of GTY rate.

Which cruise are you considering, and we can probably advise you better?

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a GTY rate?

A "GTY" simply means you allow DCL to choose your stateroom. These are typically offered after a certain percentage of rooms in a category are booked. It allows DCL some flexibility in case a room needs to be taken out, or such. This rate is not discounted, in fact since so many others have already booked that category, there's a strong chance it's a higher rate than others paid.

I believe the OP actually means a "*GT" rate -- IGT, OGT or VGT. These are relatively last-minute discounted rates. These come with many restrictions -- must be a new booking, no cancellation, no changes, DCL will assign your stateroom, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

Not sure which, just looking for something early in 2020
I'm sure you mean 2021, but have you considered if you want a Star Wars cruise, Marvel Cruise or a more typical cruise? That would also help to narrow which cruises to point you toward. :boat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts